Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pak Sau - Defensive or Offensive?

Pak Sau - Defensive or Offensive?

Does Pak Sau work better for you defensively or offensively?

Pak Sao Doesn't Work Video

Pak Sao Does Work Video
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Again, neither defensive or offensive - Simply put, Pak sau just another hand shape used to occupy space using a specific energetic and structure. It works best when it's used with the correct structure, wrist energy, contact/reference point, loi lau hoi sung, range, etc.

As always, your question is far to generic. What kind of pak sau? What's the situation? In HFY we have many different 'flavors' of pak sau, but they are all based on the situation, facing leverage and range (5-line apk sau, centerline pak sau, receiving, guarding, jamming, etc - all with different energetics and focus)
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post

Pak Sao Doesn't Work Video

Pak Sao Does Work Video
    Pak sau in all its variations can do both but not in the way you think. Similarly to what Jpinaz said, 'it simply occupies a space'. No one, ever, should try to block with Pak sau in and of itself in application. They will get hit and most likely it will also be chasing. Now, on the other hand Pak sau can be used to 'assist' in blocking within chi sau. For instance, force comes in on lead hand, you redirect with tan sau rotating your triangle always forward, your back hand comes forward and balances it out with a Pak 'position'. You essentially end up in a tan Pak position with Pak being forward. Of course, if you're worth your marbles, you're going to wait until he tries to move again and then switch the tan to a punch only using static control with the pak, hence a real Pak punch, not these ridiculous slapping paks you see everywhere. The order is important though for good structure. You never do two motions at the same time unless attacking even though most think you can. It's just the hands rotating between forward and back with the timing being the key. Even an attack, that does have two simultaneous motions still always has to be rotating. But to answer the question, ultimately Pak is a clearing motion that in application should always be with an attack. If you Pak with any kind of force outside of your body turning, you're doing Pak sau wrong. Period.
    Last edited by WC1277; 09-18-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Tbh, I think most if not all of the Ving Tsun techniques work well, at least for me, both offensively and defensively.

imo,

_insert Ving Tsun technique here_ + punch (da) = offensive technique

so Pak-Da is already a great application of pak offensively and defensively in one motion. Yea, I know it's a very simple example, but in the end, the techniques work best when offense and defense are intertwined/combined
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

There is no defensive in my mind when it comes to pak sau. Pak sau is just a method to allow me to take better position to hit my opponent. It's just like slipping a jab. Blocking only would be defensive but countering is not defensive in my mind and that's what pak sau is for.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Again, neither defensive or offensive - Simply put, Pak sau just another hand shape used to occupy space using a specific energetic and structure. It works best when it's used with the correct structure, wrist energy, contact/reference point, loi lau hoi sung, range, etc.
    Hmmm, don't want to be seen with always agreeing with the same person but this is absolutely spot on.

Ah, except that in my mind everything is offensive (forum rules, we have to disagree with something ). There is no "Pak" as such.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post
    so Pak-Da is already a great application of pak offensively and defensively in one motion. Yea, I know it's a very simple example, but in the end, the techniques work best when offense and defense are intertwined/combined
    Offense is my defense (ideally). My so-called Pak would be an attack on it's own. The free hand would also be attacking. So would the free leg if available.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    Pak sau in all its variations can do both but not in the way you think. Similarly to what Jpinaz said, 'it simply occupies a space'. No one, ever, should try to block with Pak sau in and of itself in application. They will get hit and most likely it will also be chasing. Now, on the other hand Pak sau can be used to 'assist' in blocking within chi sau. For instance, force comes in on lead hand, you redirect with tan sau rotating your triangle always forward, your back hand comes forward and balances it out with a Pak 'position'. You essentially end up in a tan Pak position with Pak being forward. Of course, if you're worth your marbles, you're going to wait until he tries to move again and then switch the tan to a punch only using static control with the pak, hence a real Pak punch, not these ridiculous slapping paks you see everywhere. The order is important though for good structure. You never do two motions at the same time unless attacking even though most think you can. It's just the hands rotating between forward and back with the timing being the key. Even an attack, that does have two simultaneous motions still always has to be rotating. But to answer the question, ultimately Pak is a clearing motion that in application should always be with an attack. If you Pak with any kind of force outside of your body turning, you're doing Pak sau wrong. Period.
    tan pak position? are you suggesting one hand in tan and the other in pak? If so its an anathema to me. When the tan does its job the other hand should be seeking to hit, if it then covers as pak the tan should become a strike. To hold two hands in the position inferred is to miss at least one opportunity to strike and needlessly ties up two hands. Maybe I've misunderstood your post.....
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Hmmm, don't want to be seen with always agreeing with the same person but this is absolutely spot on.

Ah, except that in my mind everything is offensive (forum rules, we have to disagree with something ). There is no "Pak" as such.
    Haha, even a broken watch is correct twice a day.. maybe I just got lucky

OR, it just comes down to forgetting about WC technique, or things like 'we do it this way' and looking at it from a concept/principle POV. Then it becomes pretty simple and a lot more people would be agreeing...
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 09-19-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    tan pak position? are you suggesting one hand in tan and the other in pak? If so its an anathema to me. When the tan does its job the other hand should be seeking to hit, if it then covers as pak the tan should become a strike. To hold two hands in the position inferred is to miss at least one opportunity to strike and needlessly ties up two hands. Maybe I've misunderstood your post.....
    No, what I am suggesting is that Pak can be used to "assist" in a block and with half beat timing allows switching to a much more powerful structure and attack. A tan punch is not nearly as powerful with the turn as a Pak punch square on to the opponent would be. I was also illustrating that not only does every hand assist the other but Pak is not a slapping motion like so many do but a static control position 9 times out of 10

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    No, what I am suggesting is that Pak can be used to "assist" in a block and with half beat timing allows switching to a much more powerful structure and attack. A tan punch is not nearly as powerful with the turn as a Pak punch square on to the opponent would be. I was also illustrating that not only does every hand assist the other but Pak is not a slapping motion like so many do but a static control position 9 times out of 10
    So what does the word Pak mean?

why is there no slapping or whipping force in the wing chun hands?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

why is there no slapping or whipping force in the wing chun hands?
    Because if you slap the hand out of the way it gives them momentum to work with. For example if you slap against a straight punch I can use the power you've given me to turn it into a couple different types of hooks.

Pak means to make a sharp hit/tap/clap/pat type of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Because if you slap the hand out of the way it gives them momentum to work with. For example if you slap against a straight punch I can use the power you've given me to turn it into a couple different types of hooks.
    Only if the 'slapper' has no clue what they're doing dude...

Let me put it this way, if you have a well drilled paksau it hurts like hell and on most occasions specific target areas are concentrated on so the whole structure is shocked, not just the point of contact.

But that is all it is designed to do... as Pink Floyd once sang, deliver a "short, sharp, shock"
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Only if the 'slapper' has no clue what they're doing dude...
    No, but thank you for playing.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Let me put it this way, if you have a well drilled paksau it hurts like hell and on most occasions specific target areas are concentrated on so the whole structure is shocked, not just the point of contact.
    The goal of pak sau is redirection through structure. Your pak sau can hurt as much as you want it still won't matter to me or any one else who has built up a pain tolerance from fighting.
    Through pak sau you change the angle of a punch just enough that it won't hit you and you can counter punch. Any more is wasteful and will give your opponent momentum to turn into a hook punch.
    As for "shocking the structure" it's a minor redirection in trajectory so you can hit them. Chase the body, not the hands.

And even if you're doing pak sau on the elbow, you pin the elbow. It's never a slap.