Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tokyo Olympics

What's next? Darts, pool and bowling? Maybe we can dump swimming, gymnastics and boxing to make room.

Fuck the olympics.

WTF??

Wrestling is one of the original sports.

There are so many things in the olympics which shouldn't be there because they are really niche things that you need a lot of equipment to practice and most people have never even had a chance to try. Things like that should be cut because there are so few people who do them, they are not olympic. But wrestling??

You can practice that in your living room for gods sake. I agree with trimming olympics down to its base sports, sports everyone can do so you really get the worlds most impressive athletes because there is a lot of competition. But wrestling is one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    WTF??

Wrestling is one of the original sports.

There are so many things in the olympics which shouldn't be there because they are really niche things that you need a lot of equipment to practice and most people have never even had a chance to try. Things like that should be cut because there are so few people who do them, they are not olympic. But wrestling??

You can practice that in your living room for gods sake. I agree with trimming olympics down to its base sports, sports everyone can do so you really get the worlds most impressive athletes because there is a lot of competition. But wrestling is one of those.
    Word....!!!

At least keep the basics. I agree less/cheaper/accessible is better. Mos def more inclusive, and I mean that is the point here isn't it? Almost everyone can swim, run, jump, wrestle etc. We should at the very least keep the basics.

WTF is up with even considering things like rollerderby?

This would be so embarrassing..

...but it is a possibility...

Will Wushu Replace Wrestling in 2020 Olympic Games?
    By Melissa Siegel - Posted: 02/12/13 04:13PM EST

Wrestler Rulon Gardner, bottom, competes at the 2004 U.S. National Wrestling Championships. Gardner won a gold medal in the sport at the 2000 Olympics. (Photo: Creative Commons)

The martial art wushu could replace wrestling in the 2020 Olympics.

According to Reuters, the International Olympic Committee made the surprising decision to cut wrestling from the 2020 games. Per CNN, wrestling was part of the first modern Olympics in 1896 and has been included in all but one Summer Olympics since.

"This is a process of renewing and renovating the program for the Olympics," IOC spokesman Mark Adams said, per Yahoo Sports. "In the view of the executive board, this was the best program for the Olympic Games in 2020. It's not a case of what's wrong with wrestling, it is what's right with the (other) 25 core sports."

According to the Telegraph, wrestling was eliminated from the Olympics because organizers felt it was not as exciting to watch on television as some other sports. Plus, other events that were thought to be in danger, like taekwondo and the modern pentathlon, ran strong lobbying campaigns in favor of keeping their sport around.

Despite Tuesday's ruling, wrestling will be contested at the 2016 games in Rio de Janeiro. There is also a chance it could be reinstated as an Olympic sport before the 2020 games.

The Associated Press reports that wrestling will now join seven other sports that will need to apply for inclusion in the 2020 games. Those events are baseball/softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu.

The IOC will then meet in May to narrow down the list, with the final vote coming at the IOC general assembly meeting in September.

Wushu is perhaps the least known of those sports, at least in the United States. According to the Stanford University Wushu Club, the word literally translates as military art, or the art of fighting. For years the term was interchangeable with "kung fu," but in recent years wushu has become synonymous with performance and sport, while kung fu emphasizes actual fighting.

Wushu has also been competed on the national stage. It has been a medal event in the Asian Games since 1990. In addition, World Wushu Championships have been held in each of the past 11 years.

According to the International Wushu Federation website, wushu taolu, or competitive wushu, involves "fighting" movements" between a pair of people. The sport is split up into several events, including swordplay, spearplay, and three separate styles of boxing.

While it's unknown whether Wushu will take wrestling's place in 2020, it seems unlikely that the latter sport will be reinstated so soon after it was cut. Thus, fans may have to get used to seeing a new sport at the Olympic games.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

If wrestling goes than it is quite obvious that no sport is safe.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

According to the Stanford University Wushu Club, the word literally translates as military art, or the art of fighting. For years the term was interchangeable with "kung fu," but in recent years wushu has become synonymous with performance and sport, while kung fu emphasizes actual fighting.
    Now if we could just get that definition of Kung Fu to catch on.....

Wrestling is so obviously the deserving sport out of the 8 contenders. Why would we need Karate when Tae Kwon Do is in the Olympics? Roller sports???? Really? We got gymnastics, who needs Wushu?

It looks like everyone in that pic just received word of wrestling being cut over the PA system.

I gotta agree, wrestling being cut is ridiculous. I would believe silly decisions like this come down to money, especially as far as golf replacing it is concerned. I would think there's a lot more advertising to be sold during a game of golf (though I have no idea if/how individual games affect advertising in the Olympics). Just a shot in the dark, though, I rarely have any idea what I'm talking about.

I did a lot of research on the Olympics when wushu made its 2008 bid

A goodly chunk of my initial research (now very dated) was contained in China Gets the Gold! The Beijing Olympics by Gene Ching & Andy Ching, published online over a decade ago. There are so many misconceptions about the Olympics and how it all works.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If wrestling goes than it is quite obvious that no sport is safe.
    No sport has ever been safe. You're dealing with world class competitors from a very disparate array of sports, each jockeying to grab some spotlight for their event. Competitive? You know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch.HeadButt View Post
    I would think there's a lot more advertising to be sold during a game of golf (though I have no idea if/how individual games affect advertising in the Olympics).
    True for the US, UK and Japan perhaps, but you must consider that the Olympics is international so there are many games that are popular in other regions. The Olympics is the ultimate international competition - each nation focuses on its own fav sports. The advertising money has got to be totally crazy. Imagine how many factors you'd have to take into account internationally.

Note that Wrestling may still have a chance. This decision, to my understanding, isn't final yet.

Why you all hating on roller derby?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

True for the US, UK and Japan perhaps, but you must consider that the Olympics is international so there are many games that are popular in other regions.
    Well sure, and ideally it'd be great for every region to have equal pull. But I'm forced to believe the more wealthy any given region is, the more pull it has with the IOC.

I'm not basing that on any concrete knowledge as to the inner workings of that organization, obviously. It's all speculation on my part.

The only problem is that roller derby chicks, for the most part, do not look like that. There are some pretty serious roller derby teams in this city and for the most part, those chicks are a bit on the....um...hardcore angry man haters side....don't get me wrong, there are some cute derby girls, but it's hit and miss

look for yourself spot the diamonds in the rough.

http://www.rosecityrollers.com/teams/
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

As long as this stays in the Olympics, MK will be pleased

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=fruimvo90vA
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    The only problem is that roller derby chicks, for the most part, do not look like that. There are some pretty serious roller derby teams in this city and for the most part, those chicks are a bit on the....um...hardcore angry man haters side....don't get me wrong, there are some cute derby girls, but it's hit and miss

look for yourself spot the diamonds in the rough.

http://www.rosecityrollers.com/teams/
    No ****. Rollerderby has the market cornered on fat cow wannabe rock-a-billy skanks.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Lol!!!!!!!!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Hey now. One of my friends is a roller derby chick. She's not fat.

But she is kind of wannabe rock-a-billy. No comment on the skank part.

As amusing as this roller derby tangent has become, for the record, Olympic roller sports also include inline speed skating and roller figure skating. I'm not exactly sure which events are up for the bid. In the same vein, the International Wushu Federation governs both taolu and sanda, but only taolu is part of the Olympic bid, and only solo taolu, limited to a few specific forms.

If the olympics wants to make cuts, well, there's a huge issue with medal count. Every country wants to insert events where they will get more medals. We saw special stipulations with Korea and TKD. Some sports, like the races (swimming and track) seem to me to dole out a ton of medals for each division. I feel some of that could be shaved off, and we could keep wrasslin.

Go Slovenia!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Woah. That's us!

Follow the link for the vid. Not sure which TCKFMC year this was exactly, but here's the 2013 TCEC thread.

Good to see that Tiger Claw logo so large.

Wushu: A new sport for the Olympics?
    February 17, 2013 5:00 PM

As wrestling is getting pushed out of the Olympic Games, a new martial art may take its place. Terrel Brown reports.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips