Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tokyo Olympics

Tokyo Olympics

We'll just skip from London, past Rio, to this.

Wushu faces IOC evaluation in Macau for 2020 Olympic bid
    Monday, 17 September 2012
    Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email More Sharing Services 9
    By Tom Degun

September 17 - Wushu is facing its key inspection from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) as the 4th World Junior Wushu Championships, the sport's evaluation event for inclusion in the 2020 Olympic Games, began today in Macau.

The Championships, which will feature both male and female athletes between 15 and 18 years of age, will run from today to September 25 and be the biggest to date as it takes place in the Tap Seac Multi-sports Pavilion in Macau, a special administrative region of China.

Wushu is a full-contact sport derived from traditional Chinese martial arts composed of two disciplines, which are taolu and sanda.

Governed by the International Wushu Federation (IWUF), the sport was developed in China in 1949.

The IWUF has failed to get the sport included on the official Olympic sports programme at previous Games although the IOC allowed China to organise an unofficial international wushu exhibition event during Beijing 2008.

Many experts consider wushu to be outside contenders to make the 2020 Olympic programme and it has a hugely important figure fighting its corner in the form of IWUF President Yu Zaiqing of China.

Yu Zaiqing (pictured with IOC President Jacques Rogge) has held a number of significant positions within the Olympic Movement, including as vice-president of the IOC and Beijing 2008, as well as being a current vice-president of the Chinese Olympic Committee

The 61-year-old, who was vice-president of Beijing 2008, became an IOC member in 2000 and has since held numerous powerful positions in the organisation, including the role of IOC vice-president from 2008 to 2012.

"Wushu is a sport that embodies many of the Olympic values," said Zaiqing.

"We believe that it can make a fantastic contribution to the Olympic Games and we are very honoured that the IOC has shortlisted wushu for inclusion for the 2020 Olympic Games.

"We are hopeful we can now prove that our sport deserves to be at the Games."

Wushu is one of seven sports bidding to make the 2020 Olympic programme alongside climbing, karate, roller sport, squash, wakeboard, baseball and softball, with the latter two likely to make a joint bid.

All the sports will be assessed at a major championships before the end of the year before the IOC compiles a report on the merits of each discipline and its bid based largely on the evaluation event.

The IOC will then make a final decision on which sport, if any, to include on the 2020 Olympic programme at its Session in Buenos Aires in September next year.

Only a maximum of 28 sports are allowed at the Olympic Games and this will be reached at Rio 2016 with the inclusion of golf and rugby sevens.

However, it is highly likely that at least one of the seven bid sports will be included in the 2020 Olympic sports programme with the IOC set to remove a minimum of one discipline currently on the sports programme.

Contact the writer of this story at tom.degun@insidethegames.biz
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

It will be a tough battle to go against baseball, but I hope wushu wins.

I think with the inclusion of Sanda into the olympics, you will see a heavy increase in interest of Chinese Martial Arts. Especially in terms of people wanting to compete and fight at an olympic level. The inclusion of Sanda will also let the world see what CMA has to offer the martial arts world in terms of full contact applicability.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

My uncle was VP of the World Taekwondo Federation and so did a lot of work getting TKD into the Olympics. He was always very proud of it but I was scandalized by the politics of it all. It was bad enough the arts were being "codified" by governmental intervention (sound familiar?) but with the inclusion into the olympics the rule system became a joke. What do you mean I don't get any points for punching?

I fear that the rule-set will become popular and that CMA schools will start teaching their system to the rules and lose part of their identity. Though I am of the opinion that we train martial arts for both combat and artistic expression, so others may not care that the "flavors" all start to taste alike.

Well, I have always supported CMA to be included in the Olympics. It is feasible that CMA and other all-round martial art systems compete against each other in an acceptable format and rule set. A recent local MMA tournament has demonstrated that. It had fights with CMA vs TKD, Muay Thai vs Kick Boxing, etc. I am looking forward to see CMA become part of the Olympics.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    Well, I have always supported CMA to be included in the Olympics. It is feasible that CMA and other all-round martial art systems compete against each other in an acceptable format and rule set. A recent local MMA tournament has demonstrated that. It had fights with CMA vs TKD, Muay Thai vs Kick Boxing, etc. I am looking forward to see CMA become part of the Olympics.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    I've been saying this for a long time. MMA gives practitioners from all disciplines equal footing on which to fight. Sanda can compete just like muay Thai, kickboxing, boxing, wrestling, judo, etc etc.

I remember that not too long ago.

Everyone was gearing up to wushu 2008.

But it did not happen at Beijing Olympics 2008.

And yes, Chinese (PRC) will keep trying.

personally

I would drop tao lu altogether.

Tao lu are form practices.

Nothing to compete.

San Shou has been the core since the dawn of Chinese or any civilization.

Bo Ji was the old name.

Cool. I support this.

Question: I thought "wushu" was the flashy forms with the flexible weapons. That article says wushu is a full contact sport. Can someone please clarify?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

The article says "wushu" is composed of both taolu and sanda, so it's referring to the sanda aspect. Personally, I think if the sanda makes it in, it would be great; much, MUCH better than the Olympic TKD. I don't see much worth to including the flashy taolu aspect. IMO, the two aren't related at all.

Technically, there are two categories in modern wushu: taolu and sanda. Perhaps the article was referring to the sanda part.

In any case, PRC will keep trying but I don't think it will succeed. Chinese practitioners are generally really insular in promoting their arts, and I think many would feel perturbed in competing directly with foreigners.

I've tried to express this to my Chinese classmates...If you go to a judo dojo in Japan with a bright happy face and say "I want to practice Judo!", you will most likely be greeted with the same in return and invited to practice. In China, show up to a sanda gym, or a gongfu group, and half of them will see it as strange and a few would even take insult.

Could the MMA guys we are familiar with compete successfully under the sanda rules?

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Cool. I support this.

Question: I thought "wushu" was the flashy forms with the flexible weapons. That article says wushu is a full contact sport. Can someone please clarify?
    wu = martial

shu = art

wushu just means martial art, so its really all encompasing. in the west wushu is most commonly refering to the performance aspect. similarly kungfu doesnt mean martial arts at all, its just the modern popular term to mean chinese martial arts.

this character is Wu in chinese and Bu in japanese. both meaning martial, and or warrior spirit, and or military.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by RickMatz View Post
    Could the MMA guys we are familiar with compete successfully under the sanda rules?
    as long as they follow the rules yes. I think sanda would be a powerful competition circuit for mma guys that are heavy into striking with decent wrestling skills.

Sanda could have been popular in the USA years ago were it not for the "I gots mine, f--- you" attitude of a few traditional gongfu "masters" who stuck their heads into sanda.

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    Sanda could have been popular in the USA years ago were it not for the "I gots mine, f--- you" attitude of a few traditional gongfu "masters" who stuck their heads into sanda.
    I agree. A lot of times I find sanda fights to be more exciting than mma fights.