Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leg Trapping

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    To a low roundhouse kick, sometime I like to turn my shin bone to meet his leg.
    Ok, how about when he uses low roundhouse/sweep to your leg, you intercept and rebound him with your calf, then steal step to catch his other leg with your same leg.

Less bone against bone. Nice surprise if he thinks his shin bone is tough. You use ngun lik instead of crashing.

The best kickers are the ones you learn to counter kicks from, Thai boxers and kickboxers.

What do they do?
    Footwork and distance
    Check the kick with the shin
    Block the head
    Counter kick
    Catch the kick and sweep

If my opponent's shin bone is not as hard as mine, he won't kick again. The nice thing about it is when my opponent feels pain, I can use my back leg to hook his standing leg and take him down right at that moment.
    Another funny story...

When my teacher sparred his classmates they all would try not to show pain reaction when they landed shin kicks on each other. They would just stand there like the kick was nothing.

My teacher then would circle a couple steps. The other guy would adjust position, but if he limped, my teacher would laugh because he knew the other guy felt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    The best kickers are the ones you learn to counter kicks from, Thai boxers and kickboxers.

What do they do?
    Footwork and distance
    Check the kick with the shin
    Block the head
    Counter kick
    Catch the kick and sweep
    Muay thai has some nice moves.

The leg trapping principle is 100% offensive. IMO, there are many ways that you can do this:

1. Step on your opponent's leading leg knee (or upper leg).
    2. Low roundhouse kick below your opponent's knee.
    3. Low side kick at your opponent's leading leg knee (or shin bone).
    4. Low reverse side kick at your opponent's leading leg knee (or shin bone).
    5. Foot sweep at your opponent's leading leg.
    6. Shin bite on the inside or outside of your opponent's ankle.
    7. ...

[...]

Please share your favor leg trapping move during entering.
    Continous running and low kicking. Almost like dribbling a soccer ball, but with more force.

I have the students practice against each other so it's automatic and they don't need to think about kicking when they close in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Continous running and low kicking. Almost like dribbling a soccer ball, but with more force.

I have the students practice against each other so it's automatic and they don't need to think about kicking when they close in.
    Many people said that each step should be a kick, and each kick should be a step. But I just don't see peole train this way serious enough.

One of my favor training is to move my leading foot on the ground in a counter clockwise circle followed by a clockwise circle. By using these 2 circles, my leg should be able to hit my opponent's leading leg.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Many people said that each step should be a kick, and each kick should be a step. But I just don't see peole train this way serious enough.
    Just spent the first half of this morning's class working with a student on making his stepping and kicking more natural and interchangeable. Worked the single kicks, identified the relaxation points, tied the kicks together by their recoils, then combined different kicks by overlapping the neutral relaxation points. Switched to the step setup and step followup on individual kicks, then to just continuous running step. From there it went to combined interchangeable running and kicking. Then cleaned up the initial explosive launch into the attack.

Rest of class was similar idea but with attacking hand motions.

One of my favor training is to move my leading foot on the ground in a counter clockwise circle followed by a clockwise circle. By using these 2 circles, my leg should be able to hit my opponent's leading leg.
    Is this like front sweep back sweep with steal step in between to chase?

Kind of like in Mantis with chao tui steal step dun pak combo?

Many times in sparring videos, there is no continuous attack or sparring. It's just single kick/punch and reset like playing tag. Never gets to free flowing stepping/running/kicking.

Blog Entries
    It's more like "shin bite" than "sweep". The old teacher used to ask his student to catch grasshoppers to feed bird (Old Chinese liked to carry a bird cage). By using this leg moves, you can force the grasshopper to jump up. You then catch with your hand. It not only train your footwork, it also train your sharp eye and quick hand.

Blog Entries
    Many times in sparring videos, there is no continuous attack or sparring. It's just single kick/punch and reset like playing tag. Never gets to free flowing stepping/running/kicking.
    That the most problem in combat. When you opponent kicks you, you just want to kick back to prove that you can kick too. You respond to your opponent's move without any "plan".

It's more like "shin bite" than "sweep". The old teacher used to ask his student to catch grasshoppers to feed bird (Old Chinese liked to carry a bird cage). By using this leg moves, you can force the grasshopper to jump up. You then catch with your hand. It not only train your footwork, it also train your sharp eye and quick hand.
    Oh, that is like our chao tui. Scooping up and lifting.

Is shin bite the standard SC name? What is it in Chinese?

I can picture the grasshopper exercise, haha.

That the most problem in combat. When you opponent kicks you, you just want to kick back to prove that you can kick too. You respond to your opponent's move without any "plan".
    Gotta practice the automatic combos.

Blog Entries
    Is shin bite the standard SC name? What is it in Chinese?
    The "咬(Yao) - shin bite" is also called "撿(Jian) - leg seize". By using the name "leg seize", you try to hide your "bite" intention because you can seize your opponent's leg by "撮(Cuo) - scooping kick " as well.

So the "leg seize" is the general term. The "shin bite" and "scooping kick" are more detail.

Blog Entries
    Gotta practice the automatic combos.
    The low roundhouse kick followed by stealing step with the same leg side kick to the knee will be a good combo.

The low roundhouse kick followed by stealing step with the same leg side kick to the knee will be a good combo.
    Yep.

Kid tries here, but didn't land.

Last edited by -N-; 09-22-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: better gif