Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police Story 2013 a.k.a. Police Story: Lockdown

Police Story 2013 a.k.a. Police Story: Lockdown

Jackie Chan Planning POLICE STORY 2013
    Todd Brown, Founder and Editor

What's this? After making a great deal of noise about the upcoming Chinese Zodiac marking his final foray into the sort of high octane, high risk that built him into an international brand it appears that Jackie Chan may have one more kick at the proverbial can left in him after all.

The China Vision Media Group have announced at a Beijing press conference that Chan will re-team with his Little Big Soldier director Ding Sheng for what is currently being referred to simply as Police Story 2013. Given that the most recent entry in one of Chan's signature series - 2004 effort New Police Story - already began the process of pushing Chan's character towards more dramatic territory with others carrying the heavy stunt load it's quite possible that this will end up following that same mold and remain in line with Chan's promise to start slowing down. But, hey, no matter what it's a new Police Story film with the man who directed one of Chan's absolute best late-career offerings at the helm. And that's a very good thing.
    New Police Story was not part of the Police Story franchise. See The Real Jackie Chan is Back in NEW POLICE STORY by August West. See also our thread on the topic: Jackie Chan's NEW POLICE STORY. I suppose that when PS2013 comes out, we should go back and hyperlink that article to that thread. We weren't doing that back in 2004.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Now I am confused

Is this a sequel to New Police Story (2004) or the original Police Story franchise which began in 1985?
    Chinavision confirms call to Police
    By Patrick Frater
    Wed, 26 September 2012, 08:00 AM (HKT)
    Production News

China Vision Media Group today confirmed plans to back Police Story 2013, an extension of the New Police Story franchise (see Film Business Asia 20 Sep 2012).

The company, headed by veteran producer Dong Ping, said that Jackie Chan would again play the lead role in the film to be directed by Ding Sheng. Ding previously collaborated with Chan on Little Big Soldier. However it also said that the role would take Chan "one step away from his signature action movies."

The film will be co-financed by Wanda Film and TV Media and hit cinema screens in 2013.

Chinavision said that it has been offered a RMB 1 billion credit line by Bank of Beijing intended to help it expand its entertainment businesses, and also hinted at co-production of a movie with China Film Group. Apart from announcing Ying Li as director and the promise of top Hollywood stars, it disclosed no details of the project.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

New Police Story was a horrible film, IMO. I couldn't see the point in having a sequel to that. Actually, trying to resurrect the Police Story franchise at all seems pointless either way. Jackie's best days were with Golden Harvest, and I'm NOT saying that just because he is much older now. The fun feeling just isn't there anymore. The original Police Story movies were of another era that's gone and cannot be recaptured.

Maybe it's the sequel to the Mechanic...

I loved the original Police Story franchise and enjoyed New Police Story because it was such a sideways take on that franchise. Sure, Jackie isn't a young stunt god like he used to be, but if Stallone can keep milking Rocky, I won't blame Chan for reviving any of his franchises.... well, maybe not Tuxedo.
    First Poster For Jackie Chan's POLICE STORY 2013 Promises Action. And Airbrushing. And Jason Statham's Body.

Word that Jackie Chan was planning a return to his popular Police Story franchise broke in mid-September with word that Little Big Solider director Ding Sheng would helm Police Story 2013. What we didn't know, however, is what sort of picture Police Story 2013 would be as Chan's last foray into the franchise - 2004 effort New Police Story - was a more drama focused effort than previous outings with the film standing as one of the turning points in Chan's recent career, one of the moments where he made a conscious decision to explore different sorts of roles to spare his body the constant pounding of high energy action as he aged.

So, is Police Story 2013 going to be another drama focused offering? Not if the first poster art is any indication, featuring as it does a gun wielding Chan dangling from the outside of a building. If that doesn't say 'action', then I don't know what does. It also says airbrushing as the Chan on the poster looks to be a good twenty years younger than Chan in real life. Heh. The miracles of modern science!

Also a miracle of modern science is that Chan's head is attached to Jason Statham's body. Yep, the whole thing is a photoshop job done on an earlier poster for The Mechanic. Meaning, all things being equal, there is a roughly 50-50 chance that this was either knocked together super quickly to present the film at the upcoming American Film Market or it was done by some Chinese fan very excited about the prospect of the film.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Maggie!

This is probably just Jackie making flippant buzzworthy statements as usual, but if Maggie returned to the franchise, I would be thrilled. I still harbor a crush for her damsel-in-distress character in the original Police Story franchise.
    Jackie Chan wants Maggie Cheung
    From Cinema Online Exclusively for Yahoo! NewsroomBy Peter Chai | From Cinema Online Exclusively for Yahoo! Newsroom – 9 hours ago

7 Jan – After gaining a huge success with "CZ12", Hong Kong action superstar Jackie Chan is ready to shoot his new feature film "Police Story 2013" this year, and the veteran is looking forward to inviting his old partner and award-winning actress Maggie Cheung to appear on the silver screen with him again, according to World Journal.

"I'm going to shoot "Police Story 2013" soon but the cast is not confirmed yet," said Chan.

When the 58-year-old was asked about Cheung's recent heartbreaking relationship, he replied, "She's lovesick again? We haven't contacted with each other for a very long time. I'll ask her out for a meal."

Chan had also revealed his wish to ask Cheung, whom he co-starred with in the "Police Story" franchise during the 1980s, to join him for another instalment.

"Yes, I will ask her to join me in my new movie!" he said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

more rumors

So much for Maggie...
    Jackie's Close Shave for 'Police Story 2013'
    11 February 2013

Jackie Chan is back on the beat with a new look in Police Story 2013... though his familiar hairstyle has had a close shave...

During the lead up to the release of Chinese Zodiac, there was much discussion of Jackie Chan's imminent retirement from the action movie genre. So much fuss was made that Chan himself had to go online to state that he'd been taken out of context. (Chan has of course been hinting at retiring since the late 80s!) Before the release of Chinese Zodiac, Chan began shooting Police Story 2013, which - contrary to popular internet rumour - is not the latest installment in the original Police Story saga that began in 1985 with Chan directing, choreographing and playing the lead role of Chan Ka-kui.

Police Story 2013 is something different, reuniting Chan with his Little Big Soldier director Ding Sheng...

“I’ve played policemen many times before, but I’ve never shot a film which focused on the life of a mainland policeman. So this time, I get the chance to fulfill this kind of role,” according to Chan on a posting on his Weibo microblog in China.

The film sees Chan playing an older policeman who leads a team of young police recruits into action when a series of violent crimes hit his precinct. Chan also changed his hairstyle for the film, adopting a cropped do for the first time since Armour of God. (Chan cutting his hair, which according to the Chinese press had brought him luck, was attributed to be the cause of Chan's near fatal injury during the filming of that movie, and once Chan had recovered from brain surgery and filming resumed, Chan's hair was allowed to grow back to its normal length and style which he's kept for more than 20 years, Shanghai Noon and Knights hair extensions aside!)

Early reports hint at a drama-heavy film, filled with some very down and dirty action from Chan, including a cage fight that sees Chan facing off against a Mainland Chinese MMA fighter.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hey! That's my interview!

I should have posted this here when it launched: Jack Tu: Jackie Chan's Disciple in 2013

Details on Police Story 2013
    by kmiller

Police Story 2013 is a movie that has a lot of question marks around it. Is it a sequel? Is it related to the other films? Will Jackie focus more on drama and quit the action aspect?

Well, some of those questions can be answered in a new interview by Kung Fu Magazine with Jack Tu. For those of you that don’t know, Tu won Jackie Chan’s Disciple contest back in 2008. He also worked on Police Story 2013 with Jackie and the crew. This has lead to a little more detailed info regarding the film.

Ah, the film I just finished is Jackie Chan’s Police Story 2013. In that story, there’s not a lot of fighting action. There’s lots of shooting, police and military involved in this.

It’s a lot different than the old one because this one takes place in Beijing in winter. All the cops and all the police are China policemen. It’s kind of unique. It’s fun because they used the real cops and special forces. All the policemen, special forces and firefighters are all real policemen, special forces and firefighters. I’m one of them, but I play a sniper. My character was fun. At the end, I go in and save him. The story, well, I can’t really tell the story. They keep it secret. But it’s different. This is about a father and a daughter. And it’s about family. It’s about the dad going to this club and saving his daughter, and involving a whole gang and police.

So, less fighting and more shootouts, huh? Seems interesting to me. It also looks like Jackie will be a father searching for his kidnapped daughter, which makes me think more like Taken. While I’m guessing about everything, I’m excited to hear that Jackie is expanding his horizons and trying something new.

What do you guys think? Are you excited to hear this news or want something more “classic?”

Source: Kung Fu Magazine
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

12/24/2013

Chinese films corner December dates
    By Staff Reporter
    Mon, 24 June 2013, 22:55 PM (HKT)
    Distribution News

At least three Chinese-language films are now slated to go head-to-head in December at the China box office, one of the biggest movie-going periods of the year.

At a press conference in Shanghai today, director DING Sheng 丁晟 announced that Police Story 2013 will open on 24 Dec. Starring Jackie CHAN 成龍, JING Tian 景甜 and LIU Ye 劉燁, it is the sixth film of the landmark franchise.

Police Story opens five days after Feng Xiaogang's comedy Personal Tailor 私人定制, starring GE You 葛優 and BAI Baihe 白百何. Feng is a pioneer who arguably created the lucrative December slot with his hit comedies.

Soi CHEANG 鄭保瑞's long-in-post production The Monkey King 大鬧天宮, starring Donnie YEN 甄子丹, CHOW Yun-fat 周潤發 and Aaron KWOK 郭富城, also previously announced that it will open in December, although no specific day of the month has been announced.

In December 2012, Lost in Thailand 人再囧途之泰囧, CZ12 十二生肖, The Last Tycoon 大上海 and The Guillotines 血滴子 all opened within the same ten-day period. Thailand and CZ12 are two of the highest grossing films of all time in China.
    We've already discussed TMK's date on the BoF thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

police story 2013

guess gene is busy keeping the mighty KFM ship cruising, so ill post this here...in my flava flav voice YEA BOI!!!! the trailer for jackies police story 2013 is out and its a doozy.

Jackie Chan Is Back With Stellar Trailer For POLICE STORY 2013!

Well, hello Jackie. It's nice to see you. And your fists. And your feet. And your face getting punched. And your car flying through the air. Yes. Yes, indeed.

If you're looking for a bit of old school action done right then you can do an awful lot worse than the just released trailer for Jackie Chan star vehicle Police Story 2013. Directed by Little Big Soldier helmer Shen Ding, expectations have been high for this one given that Little Big Soldier is one of the absolute best pieces of work in the later period Chan catalog. And this trailer certainly delivers up to those expectations with a ton of excellent stunt work that does not sacrifice performance in the process.

This latest Police Story has no connection to the earlier Chan efforts with Jackie here playing a mainland Chinese Interpol officer investigating a kidnapping case. And smashing cars. And getting punched in slow motion. Check out the trailer below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5TH9viqS_k

trailer 2

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie sings

More images if you follow the link.
    Theme Song and Final Poster of 'Police Story 2013' Released
    2013-12-09 14:18:58 CRIENGLISH.com Web Editor: Zhao

Jackie Chan attends a press conference in Beijing on Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013, to announce the release of the theme song and final poster for the 3D action film, "Police Story 2013," which comes out on Christmas Eve. [Photo: Shidai Wanhua]

Related: Theme Song 'Police Story 2013' Released

The theme song and final movie poster of the Chinese 3D action film, "Police Story 2013," starring Jackie Chan, was released in Beijing on Sunday.

Chan teamed up with director Ding Sheng for the sixth installment of the "Police Story" series. Their last venture together was the 2010 action film, "Little Big Soldier". "Police Story 2013" also stars Liu Ye and Jing Tian.

The film's theme song, "Rescue," features Chan on vocals, while famous Chinese musician Sun Nan oversaw its arrangement and harmonization.

In "Police Story 2013," a small pub turns into the scene of a tense stand-off when the owner takes his patrons hostage -- one of the hostages is Officer Zhong Wen (Jackie Chan), another is his daughter, Miaomiao (Jing Tian). The hostage taker (Liu Ye) demands that a notorious criminal be freed from prison in exchange for the lives of those in the pub.

The film is to hit Chinese IMAX screens on Christmas Eve.

Jackie Chan (L) and Jing Tian (R) attend a press conference in Beijing on Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013, to announce the release of the theme song and final poster for the 3D action film, "Police Story 2013," which comes out on Christmas Eve. [Photo: Shidai Wanhua]

Final movie poster of the Chinese 3D action film "Police Story 2013." [Photo: Shidai Wanhua]
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

****ing love jackie fair play! what a tune
    I guess we are who we are

Premiering in Singapore

Let the press junkets begin.
    ‘I have OCD, ADD’: Jackie Chan
    By Peace Chiu | Singapore Showbiz – 46 minutes ago

Jackie Chan says he has OCD and ADD. (Photo by MBS)
    Hong Kong actor-martial artist Jackie Chan has revealed that he has obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and attention deficit disorder (ADD), confirming what his son, Jaycee Chan, said in a Chinese show back in October.
    During a Tuesday press conference ahead of the premiere of “Police Story 2013” in Singapore, Chan told reporters he has a lot of “problems”.
    Chan said he’s always cleaning the table, and that things always have to be in place, neat and tidy for him.
    The "CZ12" actor also said that his condition led to him putting a lot of pressure on his son.
    For example, Chan said he is always arranging the shoes for Jaycee and picking on his son's bad habit of running around in white socks, which causes them to be dirty.
    The superstar also revealed that over the years, he’s been struggling to relax.
    “If I don’t film movies, I don’t know what to do. I live for movies, everyday I think about different movies, stories and ideas,” said Chan.
    He revealed plans to film several movies after the promotions for "Police Story 2013".
    Chan said he could be filming "Karate Kid 2" and if he could come up with good ideas, a sequel for "CZ12".
    Aside from filming, he also has several businesses on his plate such as a red wine and a watch business.
    Chan also has plans to organise a peace-friendship concert in Beijing next year to celebrate his 60th birthday.
    ‘I’m scared that I’ll be wheelchair-bound for the rest of my life’
    There have been media reports that Chan, who is known in the entertainment industry for performing all his film stunts himself, was considering using stunt doubles.
    On that, the 59-year-old admitted to using stunt double for “Police Story 2013” – but they were for rather unexpected scenes, such as walking and driving scenes.
    The martial arts star said that for this film, he didn’t use any stunt performers for any of the fighting scenes.
    In fact, he said he’s been using stunt performers for a long time, but people don’t feel it as it’s for non-fighting scenes.
    However, the famed stunt performer revealed a more vulnerable side during the press conference.
    “I’m very scared that I’ll be wheelchair bound for the rest of my life," said Chan.
    Recalling an accident during the filming of his highly successful action film "CZ12", Chan said that he felt “numb”, “paralysed”, and as though his back broke when he fell.
    "I wonder, 'Am I so lucky every time?' I just have to be unlucky once, and that's it for me,” said Chan.
    Thus, Chan said he has to be more careful and responsible to his family, fans and himself.
    He added that nowadays, he'll ask someone else to try certain stunts before attempting them himself, so that he'll know what to look out for.
    Separately, Chan said he could really empathise with his role in “Police Story 2013” as his actual personality is very similar to the character he plays – one that doesn’t really care about his family and is always working.
    “It’s very difficult to have the best of both worlds,” said Chan, adding that he often tears up during filming.
    He also said that what’s special about this installment of “Police Story” is that it focuses on plot and social issues, and it’s not all about fighting.
    Chan said that he has matured and wants to let people know that he’s an actor, not just a martial arts actor.
    “Police Story 2013” is the latest installment under the successful "Police Story" action-drama franchise.
    The last installment was “New Police Story” in 2004.
    The action film features Chan alongside Chinese actor Liu Ye and Chinese actress Jing Tian, and is directed by Ding Sheng, who previously collaborated with Jackie Chan in “Little Big Soldier”.
    It opens in cinemas on 24 December.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More press

Jackie just has to be careful not to stick his foot in his mouth and stay focused on promoting the film.
    Kickass cop, bad father? Jackie Chan's reality check on Police Story 2013
    First Published: 12:13pm, Dec 20, 2013
    Last Updated: 12:13pm, Dec 20, 2013
    by Mae Chan
    FZ.COM/Shahrin Yahya

Police Story 2013, Jackie Chan says, is quite like playing himself.

TO HEAR Jackie Chan say, "I am not a good father," is not exactly new.

The renowned action star, having landed in Kuala Lumpur to promote his latest movie – Police Story 2013, is familiar with making headlines about his authoritarian parenting style when it comes to son, Jaycee.

But in the latest "reboot" from the Police Story series, Jackie said his character – a mainland Chinese police officer named Zhong Wen – is a reflection of himself.

"All these years, I didn't manage to care for my family... Always flying off here and there, making movies," the star said candidly.

"I didn't have time for Mr Fang (his son's Chinese name is Fang Zhu Ming) and Miss Lin (his wife), and even my parents," he added with a self-depreciating smile.

Maturity brings change

In the movie, the sixth instalment of the famed series, police officer Zhong Wen is a wearied but dedicated enforcer of the law, but a failed husband and father to his daughter, Miao Miao (Jing Tian).

The darker and more drama-heavy Police Story 2013 sees the suspenseful unfolding of a revenge plot with protagonist Zhong Wen and his daughter being kidnapped and locked alongside other strangers by a bar owner Wu Jiang (Liu Ye).

On the difference between the earlier films in the series and this, Jackie said the storyline and overall tone grew alongside himself, making it completely different from the comedic first Police Story in 1985.

However, the action superstar confessed that the first one is still his ultimate favourite. Most long-time fans would agree.

Coming off the blockbuster CZ12 from last year, which contains "big action" along the vein of death-defying stunts signature to his name, the 59-year old star said that his latest offering is tamer in comparison.

"[In] every movie, my action choreography will follow the film's concept, it cannot always be the same kind of styles. Police Story 2013 is a realistic film, so the action must not be too flashy or over the top."

But that doesn't mean it's not without the trademark thrills of a Jackie Chan film.
    Instead, the combat moves – including one brutal MMA style cage fighting scene – are more practical and pragmatic, though no less quick.

The film's climatic scene is shot in an underground train tunnel – the first time it has been allowed, Jackie pointed out.

Calling it the toughest scene to shoot in the entire film, the final confrontation between Zhong Wen and Wu Jiang had to be filmed in the wee hours in the morning at three hours each time, with only a significantly reduced number of crew allowed down in the tunnels.

Government security was also on hand due to a high voltage risk.

Good cop, bad father?

Just like in the film, where Zhong Wen showed his love for his daughter indirectly, the actor mirrors the same sentiment when it comes to family.

In the last few years, Jackie has publicly made strong statements about his relationship with his son that paints him as a strict, demanding and absent father.

Speaking to the media here two days ago, Jackie admitted that his style of parenting – including throwing his son's phone away if he uses it while at the dining table – instilled fear in 31-year old Jaycee.

It should be telling, nevertheless, that Jackie smiles each time he tells stories about Jaycee, who is an actor and music producer.

Despite his traditional values, the father also pointed out that he won't interfere in Jaycee's relationships, even if his son chooses not to get married.

His only grouse is that the girlfriends' are not brought home to meet him, but only the mother.

Interesting enough, Jackie said, "My relationship with Jaycee is more like a friend. It is the same as how I was with my father."

He shares a story of a recent visit by Jaycee to the 'Police Story 2013' set. It was during a rather painful scene where Jackie had to free himself from metal wires binding his wrists.

The stunt daredevil had chosen to use the thick chafing wires instead of the usual handcuffs.

"He told me, you can't do it!" said Jackie while smiling, "after that, I wanted even more to show him that it can be done!"

When Jackie finally broke free, he said that despite the pain, he kept it nonchalant. It was obvious he enjoyed proving his son wrong. The scene is captured in the blooper reel during the credits roll.

Jackie relates to his character completely, "It can't be said that I'm not filial, I am," he said matter-of-factly. "If you ask my son, he'll surely say I'm a good father. It's a different method of caring... I am not a competent father, but I am a responsible one," he summed.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Can hardly wait for this one

Ironic that 47R is opening on the same day albeit different global markets.
    Published: Monday December 23, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
    Updated: Monday December 23, 2013 MYT 10:45:44 AM
    Jackie Chan: Purity in motion
    by seto kit yan

Due recognition: Jackie Chan wants to establish a stunt action film award to give recognition to the true heroes who contribute to the success of good action movies. — RAJA FAISAL HISHAN/The Star

Jackie Chan stays true to the things he does best in the latest Police Story movie.

SPECIAL effects may have changed the way most modern action blockbusters are made; but action maestro Jackie Chan still swears by the real thing.

“A genuine action movie is marked by real stunts,” insisted the star, who was in town last week to promote his latest movie, Police Story 2013.

This point of view is only to be expected from a man who holds the Guinness World Record for Most Stunts By A Living Actor. This was one of the two world records awarded to him last year after he made Chinese Zodiac (CZ12). The other title was for Most Credits In One Movie – he wore a total of 15 hats on the CZ12 production.

For a man who has been making action movies across five decades, Chan continues to surprise many with his boundless energy, enthusiasm for filmmaking, and daring new ideas. Casually dressed in a blue and white striped shirt and white pants, Jackie was in his usual chatty mood as he sat down and immediately started to neatly arrange the assortment of recording devices lined up on the table in front of him.

Looking up to see all eyes watching him as he straightened out everything in front of him, Chan smiled and offered: “Yes, I have ADD (attention deficit disorder) and OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder). Sitting down here to do this interview is actually more of a challenge to me than you can imagine. I am a naturally active person. I like to move around and keep myself occupied. I also like everything to be tidy and I like to make sure that everything is in order before I begin.”

Police Story 2013 is the sixth installment of the famed franchise, the first film of which is still his favourite. The 1985 Police Story won Best Film at the Hong Kong Film Awards; Chan himself won two Best Actor accolades for the series, first at Taiwan’s Golden Horse Awards for the 1992 Police Story 3: Supercop and then at China’s Golden Rooster Awards for the 2004 New Police Story.

Honour the bold

With the increasing focus on film awards these days, Chan said he also wanted to establish a stunt action film award that would “give recognition to the true heroes that contribute to the success of good action movies”.

“It is time (we) paid tribute to real action stars and genuine stunt performers. A film award with categories for best action movie, best action performer for both male and female actors, best action director, best stunt choreography, best fight scene and such.

“Many times, as I stand before the true heroes, the unknown faces of committed stunt performers who lay their lives on the line, all for the sake of making a good action film, I wish that others would realise how much blood, sweat and tears were involved,” shared Chan, who has broken practically every bone in his body. In fact, he almost died after sustaining a head injury during a stunt for the 1986 film Armour Of God.

“A martial arts actor has his work cut out for him. Trying to act and remembering your lines while trying to fight and getting your choreography right; that is definitely not easy to do.

“Most people don’t realise how difficult it is to focus on getting everything right. That is why action movies used to focus on action only. But now, a good script is of paramount importance. I will only make a movie if the script is good,” offered Chan.

Chan went on to say how Police Story 2013 director Ding Sheng bowled him over with a good script, among other things.

“Ding Sheng is a very talented man. He impressed me with his well-written script. His storyboard was in order. He even composed the songs. I Immediately asked when we could commence filming,” Chan said, singing the praises of the mainland filmmaker who also directed his Little Big Soldier (2010).

Mirroring real life

In Police Story 2013, Chan plays a veteran cop who has issues with his estranged daughter, played by mainland actress Jing Tian. The villain, played by China’s Liu Ye, takes advantage of their strained relations in a hostage situation.

Pointing to his relationship with his family, Chan said the character in the movie also mirrored his own, in the way he neglected son Jaycee and wife Joan Lin because his days were spent away from home, as he travelled around the world for movies and other projects.

Like other Jackie Chan movies, Police Story 2013 also includes a blooper reel during the end credits. One scene shows Chan’s wrists being bound to the arm of a chair with thick metal wires and how he tries to free himself using only brute strength and perseverance.

“I was told that it couldn’t be done. But, that only strengthened my resolve, so I insisted on doing it. I wanted to show Jaycee that it was possible, and that I could do it,” quipped Chan, who just had to prove his son wrong when the young man paid a visit to the set.

Despite his show of nonchalance in the movie, it was apparent that his wrists were badly bruised, cut and even bleeding after he succeeded in breaking free of his bonds.

“It was not easy to do. The skin and flesh around the wrist area is the thinnest, and just a bit of scraping will reveal the bone in most cases,” he explained.

Chan’s fight scenes in the movie also looked very painful, and he admitted that they were as painful as they looked: “The fights were with genuine MMA (mixed martial arts) boxers, not stuntmen; so, they didn’t know how to control their strength when we were filming the fight sequences. Those were rock-hard, solid punches and kicks.”

After he worked with Jet Li on Forbidden Kingdom, Chan said, audiences have been asking for another movie pitting the two stars in another legendary fight scene. “Even Jet Li has said to me: ‘I will play the main antagonist’. And, I am very keen to work with him. But, since we are basically similar in (our) strengths, we have yet to find a suitable script,” he lamented.

The Hong Kong action star turns 60 next year and his birthday plans include the staging of a Peace and Friendship concert in Beijing. The multiple-act event is set to feature performers from all over Asia, including China, Japan, South Korea and Singapore.

Other upcoming projects include a sequel to his 2010 Karate Kid, a fourth Rush Hour film with Chris Tucker, a musical, and the setting up of a martial arts acting school.

“Not just martial arts, but a martial arts acting school. And, it will not be just martial arts and acting. I will teach everything about making action movies. I will even include skills such as framing and editing. I want to train them to become all-round action stars!” he enthused.

*Police Story 2013 opens nationwide tomorrow.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips