Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Early Tanglangquan in Taiwan

Early Tanglangquan in Taiwan

The spread of Tanglangquan to Taiwan

In 1949, after losing control of mainland China to the People's Republic of China in the Chinese civil war, the Republic Of China government under the Kuomingtang leadership of Chiang Kai-shek fled to Taiwan.

Tanglangquan practitioners who fled to Taiwan at this time include:

Wang Songting: qixing tanglangquan
    Gao Daosheng: chuanquan tanglangquan
    Li Kunshan: meihua tanglangquan
    Zhang Dekui: meihua tanglangquan
    Wei Xiaotang: babu tanglangquan
    Zhang Xiansan: liuhe tanglangquan
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Hao Gensheng
    Luan Xingfu

A student of Zhao Zhuxi-forget the name- studied under Zhao (Chu Chuck Kai) before he moved to Vietnam.

A student of Jiang Hualong-Jia Jingting

There were others, but not famous now, Taiwan did a historical survey on all the Tang Lang masters.

an interesting topic to research would be to note how the move to Taiwan influenced how Tang Lang is practiced there in comparison to Mainland and HK.

Did the heavy influence of JMA and TKD in Taiwan change how Tang Lang is practiced, or how about the prevalence of the internal arts like the Yang and Sun styles of Tai Chi etc. influence Taiwanese Tang Lang?

Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    Hao Gensheng
    Luan Xingfu

A student of Zhao Zhuxi-forget the name- studied under Zhao (Chu Chuck Kai) before he moved to Vietnam.

A student of Jiang Hualong-Jia Jingting

There were others, but not famous now, Taiwan did a historical survey on all the Tang Lang masters.
    Kevin,
    Thanks for the added information!
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 02-03-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    an interesting topic to research would be to note how the move to Taiwan influenced how Tang Lang is practiced there in comparison to Mainland and HK.

Did the heavy influence of JMA and TKD in Taiwan change how Tang Lang is practiced, or how about the prevalence of the internal arts like the Yang and Sun styles of Tai Chi etc. influence Taiwanese Tang Lang?
    I noticed in Taiwan that many of the students of Wu Tan Institute who practiced Tang Lang did so with some Baji flavor.

As far as TKD or JMA influence, I do know some of the students I trained with had experience in karate and especially TKD. The only influence I saw was in the way they would perform some of their kicks. For example, in the side kick they would turn their hips into a full TKD/karate-style side kick, with bladed foot, unlike the traditional Chinese-style side kick. Having come from such a background myself, so did I. And of course when they sparred, their kicks would be TKD.

I saw more TKD influence among a number of southern stylists, who trained Hung Gar, and also something called 'Taiwan Chuan', which looked to me like a mixture of Fujian Crane and TKD/karate.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-24-2012 at 04:06 PM.

I was told that Wei Xiaotang originally fled to Korea, but that while there he was forced to kill a Japanese gangster in self-defense. So he had to flee again to Taiwan and settled there.

from what I have experienced so far, Taiwanese mantis is less stiff and has a greater emphasis on full body power generation than Hong Kong mantis.
    this.... from my learnigns from my shifu, Shyun Kwon Long (Wei's student) was from xing yi and ba duan influence that was added after Ba bu left the mainland.

Jimbo,
    you are correct, here is the story told in our family.... Wei Hsiao Tang practiced very hard and was a very dedicated student. He managed to develop phenomenal strength and incredible speed. So much so that he come to be known as "Thunder Hands". Wei Hsiao Tang was chief instructor in the Chinese Military. He was in charge of instructing the 25th Regiment in fighting techniques. After serving in China, Wei Hsiao Tang went to Korea where he was an instructor to their military. It was here that a famous incident occurred. It happened that one day while Wei Hsiao Tang was walking through town he came across a fellow Chinese, who was working as a merchant, involved in a dispute. As Wei Hsiao Tang came upon the scene a great many Koreans had begun beating the Chinese merchant. The situation was out of hand and Wei Hsiao Tang immediately intervened and asked for everyone to stop. Attacking with sticks and different manner of weapons, the mob would not quiet down. They soon turned on Wei Hsiao Tang, angered by his interference. The next day all of the of the papers told of the mob scene in which Wei Hsiao Tang drove off 50 men, injuring most and killing 4. The Korean government immediately set out to capture Wei Hsiao Tang. If it were not for friends in the Chinese underground, he might not of been able to escape. Back in China, hiding under an assumed name, then moved to Tai pei and was a cook in teh high school there for many years........
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Great info everyone!
    Richard A. Tolson

Here is one of the differences explained to me between Mainland TCMA and Taiwanese CMA:

Mainland TCMA was practiced by the common man whose art was developed for protecting himself, his family and his village.

The Republic of China conscripted as many famous martial arts instructors as they could and turned them into soldiers or trainers of soldiers. Those who refused to work for the ROC, if caught, were killed.

Thus, the ROC military had the benefit of training under some of the best martial arts instructors found in China and the military arts became much stronger.

When the ROC fled to Taiwan after the civil war, the martial arts and martial artists that went with them were of the highest caliber and their arts blossomed.

Those left on the Mainland after the civil war were killed, re-educated, worked for the PRC, or went into hiding. Later, the PRC sponsored people to create a quasi-martial arts/gymnastic curriculum to promote health and serve as a national sport.

I was told that some practitioners of Taiji Meihua Tanglangquan were able to continue to teach their art freely on the Mainland, because they supported the Communist government rather than the Republic of China. So, they were not seen as a threat.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 09-25-2012 at 10:19 AM.
    Richard A. Tolson

In short - you got told wrong.

Cool Real Kung-fu in China&Taiwan Period.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    Hey, Mooyingmantis. You got it very wrong. Chinese's are Chinese Period. There are Many Real Masters in Taiwan and Mainland China Past and Present;Who have lived to Ripe Old Ages.please Mooying mantis do some research and then post it, not hear say. thanks. Be Well. NM.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    Your glib comments really aren't worth posting. Stick to FACTS. If you disagree with me, post facts that disprove what I wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by nubianmantis View Post
    There are Many Real Masters in Taiwan and Mainland China Past and Present;Who have lived to Ripe Old Ages.
    Did you even read my post? I didn't say there are no real masters in Taiwan or China. If I didn't think there were, I wouldn't be flying to China next year to train.

What I did say was that the People's Republic of China produced something very different from traditional kung fu.

Quote Originally Posted by nubianmantis View Post
    please Mooying mantis do some research and then post it, not hear say.
    My research was based on Taiwanese history as explained to me by a local University History instructor.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 02-03-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson

Real Kung-fu in China&Taiwan Period.

Greetings Family. I shall Repeat it,Mooyingmantis You were told wrong. Fact,One there is public and private kung-fu in china and taiwan. Fact,Two Master's Huo Chi Kwang,Chang Tung Sheng,Liu Yun Chiao are all from the Mainland China;however relocated to taiwan to live and teach high level's of Boxing to serious students. I meet a couple of them in chicago many years ago. also my from sifu George ling hu is form mainland china via taiwan. Always remember mooyingmantis you are a westerner trying to train with chinese,so it will many years before you see real boxing if at All. you must have the real keys to the arts. That's the Facts. be well. NM.
    Last edited by nubianmantis; 09-26-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: mispelled words

>Your glib comments really aren't worth posting. Stick to FACTS. If you disagree with me, post facts that disprove what I wrote.

The comment wasn’t glib. I was trying to avoid wasting time going into depth over such a ridiculous issue and taking the obvious bait. You want to talk about FACTS??? Don’t get me started. There is so much misinformation in this thread it’s not funny…

>Did you even read my post? I didn't say there are no real masters in Taiwan or China. If I didn't think there were, I wouldn't be flying to China next year to train.

Not answering for NM but I did read your post. Maybe you should go tell Zhou Zhendong your new insights into Tanglang in China and see what he thinks.

>What I did say was that the People's Republic of China produced something very different from traditional kung fu.

Actually what you said was:

>Those left on the Mainland after the civil war were killed, re-educated, worked for the PRC, or went into hiding. Later, the PRC sponsored people to create a quasi-martial arts/gymnastic curriculum to promote health and serve as a national sport.

You then shared the following gem:

>I was told that some practitioners of Taiji Meihua Tanglangquan were able to continue to teach their art freely on the Mainland, because they supported the Communist government rather than the Republic of China. So, they were not seen as a threat.

All complete garbage. I don’t care who your source is - pretty much every statement in your post was naïve, simplistic, a gross generalisation and so out of date that it was laughable. Try coming into the 90’s and after you’re comfortable there for a couple of years maybe then have a crack at the 2000’s. You are regurgitating inflammatory propaganda. You are the one always talking about the mess of politics in Tanglang and then you come out with this nonsense. Hypocrisy. How do you expect to be received when you go to train in PRC next year? What face will you present to Zhou Zhendong?

My suggestion is that you save your money because you will only find quasi-martial arts/gymnastic material taught by Communist puppets.

I can vouch the kung fu in mainland China is definitely the real thing. Perhaps its not taught in such a systematic way as classes are run in the west, often the teacher puts it to you to understand and apply the concepts in application and sparring.

Richard, from what Ive seen and encountered, you are partly right in that some masters have flashed up their mantis for performance and competition. Zhou Shifu told me once in a competition, another master from Qingdao came up to him and told him his kung fu is too old and doesnt look good for competitions, he should flash it up a bit!

Then again, I heard of people in Taiwan who added some tornado kicks to the end of luan jie to make it look better (dont quote me on that though, its just hearsay)

I dont think its a black and white as that. If you ask most mainland masters, they dont think much of kung fu in Taiwan or HK.