Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buddhist "Rosaries"

Sam Wiley Guest

Buddhist "Rosaries"

I have always read that the beads of these strands are made of wood, though I have recently read of some strands bearing beads of crystal. Is there some significance to wooden beads? And how many beads does the strand have? Just curious.

taijiquan_student Guest
    Not sure about the significance of the materials used, but traditionally there are 108 beads used. I have seen ones with 54, too. I think it's just a Buddhist/Chinese numerology thing.
    I know that 108 is an important number for buddhists, but I don't know why. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can enlighten me?

"Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

5 Deadly Venoms Guest
    These beads are called Fozhu in Mandarin. The set worn on the wrist generally has 18 beads and the larger set, usually worn around the neck, has 108 beads. More often than not, they are made out of sandlewood but beads made out of other materials can be gotten quite easily since many people have begun to wear them as a fashion accessory.

Nexus Guest
    108 is the answer to 'how many beans am I holding in my hand' when someone grabs a handful and asks you.

- Nexus

WongFeHung Guest
    the other beads that you see is purely marketing. Some lady saw them in Chinatown, and ran with it, now you can buy expensive "powerbeads" to do everything from quitting smoking to increasing wealth-hers! Better to buy them on the streets of chinatown for a buck and increase your wealth by saving your money and leaving the powerbeads to the Saks Fifth Ave crowd and granola heads.

Piccolo Junior Guest
    Namo Amitofo, Namo Amitofo, Namo Amitofo, Namo Amitofo, Namo Amitofo, Namo Amitofo, Namo Amitofo, Namo Amitofo.

*This Chinese Buddhist prayer brought to you by Piccolo Junior*

"It is necessary to drink alcohol and pursue other fun human activities. The art of someone who is too serious has no flavour."- Choki Motobu

soy Guest
    I was taught that when begining meditation you are to count your exhales up to 108, when you can count this high uninterrupted then you no longer need to count. I think if I could rotate beads it would be relaxing. I don't know really, maybe it would help or it might not..

Sam Wiley Guest
    OIC

So then it really does not matter what they are made of, it just happened to be wood for the monks?

Can anyone upload a good picture of a strand here? I have not even been able to find a good one.

joy chaudhuri Guest
    On why 18, 54, 108 etc in beads and many many other things including kung fu- you might want to look at Inside Kungfu(circa December 1990) entitled
    approximately "108 steps; The Sino Indian connection" by Joy Chaudhuri (!)... it is not just numerology--- it is also astronomy(eclipse cycles) and cosmology.Notions of harmony and cycles of procedures and motions are all part of that nexus.
    The Buddhist factor is present (with other things)
    in a lot of organization of knowledge. The Chen style
    lao jia consisted of 108 motions, so also yang style long form, 18 hands of lohan. 108 basic motions in wing chun forms....Cheers--- I dont check this list too often.
    joy@azwingchun.com
    www.azwingchun.com

Anthroman Guest

Malas

I'm pretty sure the beads your talking about are called Malas. 108 is the number you get when you multiply the twelve astronomical signs by the 9 planets. Vedic teachings also say that there are 108 principal astral channels leading from the heart. Although I'm sure 108 pops up in a number of places. I've also seen them in 54 and 27 beads. "New Age" power beads are usually the ones you see with 20 beads. Different religions have different rosaries with different beads (the muslim one has 99) but i'm fairly certain the ones I listed are what buddhism commonly uses.

Ryu Guest
    Here's a pic.
    These are Mahayana malas.

These are Japanese Nicheren malas (called Juzu in Japanese) There is a branch off that branch of Buddhism which is under a lot of heat. Both seem to spend way too much time fighting each other rather than being involved in Buddhist teachings it seems. I know some people in the sect however, and they are very moral and respectable people. I keep an eye on it though. "Chanting" for me would be more geared to building my inner resolves, finding my peace, etc. and not simply "getting things"

but then again, I've always been a rebel :cool:

Ryu

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Ryu Guest
    ttt

for Sam

Ryu

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Taijimantis Guest

Materials...

Some of the "wood" used in making a mala are not sandalwood. My malas are made of the "Bodhi seeds" and represent the Buddha's place of awakening. Mine were also blessed by the last group of tibetan monks that came thru after Lama Geshe Wangdack Rinpoche came.

Some are plastic, some are glass that are sold by the monks to support their tours. So in reality the actual material is inconsequential. Though I do remember one time when talking with a group of monks who looked at my wife and I with raised eyebrows. One of them touched my wifes mala and muttered "bodhi" and looked rather displeased... so I dont know, I dont speak Tibetan...

Rinpoche wasnt upset, and some of the Vietnamese at our temple often chuckle because they are so big compared to the other beads.

Who knows?

Sam Wiley Guest
    Thanks, guys. And thanks for the pic's, Ryu. Helped a lot. I was trying to make a strand for myself, and was trying to decide on material and length. I settled on 108 Hematite beads, with another 9 perpendicular. Looks like a stylized vajra hanging off the side. They're a but heavy to wear, though. I didn't really consider that I'd be wearing chunks of stone.

WongFeHung Guest
    Sam, is hematite magnetic at all? If so, toss'em. Magnetic beads attract gwais.