Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    I think Savi's write-up was great and very informative. What I find wrong (to use your word) with what you said is implying YGKYM is simply a technique described how one's toes/knees point. IMO, this is only looking at the surface level/shape and not looking at YGKYM as a concept/technology based on principle (as Savi's post does)

BTW, not all WCK comes from Ip Man
    I'm fully aware that not all Wing Chun comes from Ip Man. I'm glad you found Savi's write up so informative, good luck with your lifelong search for the deep hidden secrets contained in the name of the basic stance. Maybe you could get a job on a goat farm to really truly understand the concepts and "technology"
    As far as concepts in YGKYM are concerned I'm fully comfortable that I understand them, as I described in my other post but they have absolutely nothing to do with grabbing goats or the origins of wing chun
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    I'm fully aware that not all Wing Chun comes from Ip Man. I'm glad you found Savi's write up so informative, good luck with your lifelong search for the deep hidden secrets.... BLAH BLAH BLAH
    Guess you can't take the same critisism you dish out.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

There are many ways to train leg muscles and unity. There's a lot more to YJKYM than just that. True, one should not over-complicate things; but one should not just stay on the superficial either.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

After you mastered the following do you only go on to fight in a ding ma or side stance...Do you only use a side stance when fighting..If so a person who uses both has an advantage...

The Mook Yan Jong does alot of things...For one it teaches you how to deal with an opponent with one lead leg forward. The YGKYM stance is to protect your from a lifting leg into your groin. I actually learn this first hand on the street. I wasn't holding a stance but from practicing basics so much i instantly went into YGKYM when someone tried to kick me.

Did i stay holding that stance..No i went into Ding Ma to reassess the situtation...Theres a time a place for everything...In sparring imma take Ding Ma as my intial stance not YGKYM. I will transition into YGYKM when the need arises...This quasi training stance allows you more motion of both extremities allowing you to strike with both hands, both elbows and kick from both feet. How ever it is best use for clinch or toe to toe distance. That is why Chi Sau is mostly taught in YGKYM...but moving chi sau one should utilize other footwork. and in sparring all footwork is good. YGKYM is temporary posistion, Bong Sau is temporary, trapping is temporary, front kick is temporary...you dont kick an just hold the foot back out there, you transition to text technique, theory or principle!

good luck with that. IMHO YGKYM has only one purpose and that is as a training stance. It trains the leg muscles and tendons, trains one to sink their centre of gravity, to unify the upper and lower body, to turn the knees in and teaches the correct spacing between the feet.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Guess you can't take the same critisism you dish out.
    When you can't even be bothered to read sufficient posts to inform yourself before spouting off you shouldn't be surprised when I treat your post with the contempt that it deserves.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

I've read everything you wrote, but with your know-it-all condescending tone, this is all I hear

When you can't even be bothered to read sufficient posts BLAH BLAH BLAH.
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 10-24-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

By a number of hands?

Can you use Wing Chun Mother Stance Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma in a fight

Yes/No?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Yes I Can

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    By a number of hands?

Can you use Wing Chun Mother Stance Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma in a fight

Yes/No?

I’ve knocked out a few guys without moving my feet while sitting in that stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I’ve knocked out a few guys without moving my feet while sitting in that stance.
    Well done.

Testimony to mitt work reflexes as opposed to the fighting power of the stance, IMO. If you don't sink it real deep or overturn the toes in it's a basic high mobility stance. So it should be useful in a fighting scenario.

Great comeback...love it!

uh oh, the bromance is back! here we go again..

Oh snap!

I see you climbed from your garbage can, and now; there you sit, in your favorite location of waylay.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    This is commonly used for kung fu stances, but then this came from a man that spoke Canton. He explained to me that Yi gi Kim yang Mah refered to standing a particular way, and made no reference to horse. Of the Chinese dialects, none of them can accurately be translated into English. The closest thing to this description would be standing pigeon toed in English.
    Well, I always looked at it in regards to a way my Si Tai Gong Moy Yat spoke about "mah" in one of his videos (unfortunately i never met him, so hopefully someone can correct me if i misunderstood his words). The idea of "mah/horse" in regards to stances is related to the idea of actually sitting on a horse.

You sit on a horse and yet when you're on the horse, you shouldn't be knocked over by the slightest wind that blows against you. This is similar to how you can sit on a chair and if someone pushed you, you wouldn't just easily fall off the chair. The idea is that since we sink into the horse correctly, it's four legs have now grounded us as if we were on our own two feet. We dont feel a lack of stability every time we sit in a chair because we sink in a way that our body weight is grounded by the legs of the chair, yet sitting in a chair is not a stenuous activity.

Going back to horses, and I'm no expert, but even when riding a horse, you cant really just be careless. You need to maintain a grip on the horse while also being relaxed so that you're not tired within 10 minutes of riding. It's basically another great example of "being relaxed during motion."

Now, I may have misunderstood Sifu Moy Yat, but I think the analogy still makes sense because the things you'd want out of a "stance" are also what you'd want if you were to be on a horse during battle. But that's my two cents on the matter.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

get out yo fantasy!