Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma

Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma

I find this stance(horse) is more than Chi Kung Horse Stance use for training the tendons...I see it as also a transitional stance when fighting. Which allows you utilize your knees and both kicking legs easily. Also it allows you to switch elbow striking posistions and cycle with both elbows....

The Horse is 50/50...So you can have equal power with both striking hands. How ever its a temporary posistion to get off a series of elbows or set your opponent up for SLT based strike. You should move from YGKYM to Ding Ma...From Ding Ma one should either Biu Ma or Toh Ma..But at times when YGKYM is more beneficial one should utilize it.

Have you been able to utilize YGKYM whilst sparring?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

You have about beat this one to death haven't you? YGKYM is not a horse stance. And yes, it is akways beneficial any time you fight.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    You have about beat this one to death haven't you? YGKYM is not a horse stance. And yes, it is akways beneficial any time you fight.
    Lee Chiang Po...i utilize vocabulary you guys may disagree with...i call it a stance, a horse etc...The word Stance/Horse are interchangable to me!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

At least he's keeping the forum alive

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    At least he's keeping the forum alive
    -------------------------------------

How can you tell?

Or he's trying to kill it...
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Mah = Horse.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Mah = Horse.
    This is commonly used for kung fu stances, but then this came from a man that spoke Canton. He explained to me that Yi gi Kim yang Mah refered to standing a particular way, and made no reference to horse. Of the Chinese dialects, none of them can accurately be translated into English. The closest thing to this description would be standing pigeon toed in English.
    Jackie Lee

This is commonly used for kung fu stances, but then this came from a man that spoke Canton. He explained to me that Yi gi Kim yang Mah refered to standing a particular way, and made no reference to horse. Of the Chinese dialects, none of them can accurately be translated into English. The closest thing to this description would be standing pigeon toed in English.
    The most accurate translation would be "two-character squeezing sheep stance" and it is thusly named because this is how people stand when they shear sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    The most accurate translation would be "two-character squeezing sheep stance" and it is thusly named because this is how people stand when they shear sheep.
    I was told that, but it was goats instead of sheep. Before he fled the commies he raised some sort of long haired goats and he explained that it was like holding a goat between the knees. But still no reference to horse.
    Jackie Lee

I was told that, but it was goats instead of sheep. Before he fled the commies he raised some sort of long haired goats and he explained that it was like holding a goat between the knees. But still no reference to horse.
    馬 - Ma = Horse This is the reference to the 'word' horse and in most traditional wushu the horse is referencing the stance or whole body unity required to stand and fight.

"Different horses for different courses" and all that.

羊 - Yeung = Goat Although there are those in the mainland that have been told this is actually 'Yang' (as is Yin Yang) and concentrate on the K1 point in the foot, clamping or squeezing the yang meridian.

I was taught Goat, as a reference to the mountainous regions of Fujian and specifically where the old southern temples used to be built. Goat herding was very common and possibly linked to the character of Wing Chun herself as she was supposedly a 'masculine' sort of tomboy who was strong and unafraid of hard work. Goat shearing specifically uses our clamped knee methods.

Our lighter stepping work too is suited for such regions where the ground is never even, and as a bit of trivia did you know that every part of a Goat can be utilised and used in Chinese Medicine? I found that very interesting indeed...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

While I was taught Yi Ji Kim Yeung Mah as:

二 = Yi, Two
    字 = Ji, Word
    鉗 = Kim, Clamp/Grip
    羊 = Yeung, Goat
    馬 = Mah, Horse (stance)

from my Moy Yat Ving Tsun Kuen background, this is not the translation I have learned from my education in Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kuen. As LoneTiger108 pointed out the alternative translation, we also point to this translation:

二 = Yi, Two
    字 = Ji, Word
    鉗 = Kim, Clamp/Grip
    陽 = Yeung/Yang
    馬 = Horse (Stance)

In this instance, the pronunciation of Goat and “Yang” are very similar and be easily confused as “Yeung”. For one, the Yin-Yang theory is also referred to as Yim-Yeung. 羊 and 陽 sound very similar but a two totally different words.

Yeung in the “alternative” character (陽)has a few meanings: [1] positive (electricity) [2] male; masculine [3] the sun; sunlight; solar.
    While I think most people would chalk this up to just a difference in words, I am more inclined to ask “why”.

To play a bit of devil’s advocate (no offense intended to anyone) and more to the point of the Wing Chun art supposedly being focused away from animal-style based kung fu mechanics, I find it contradictory for the “mother stance” of Wing Chun to be based on the notion of holding down sheep/goats with your knees. Why? What does that have to do with combat? Is Wing Chun based on Snake, Crane, and Goats? Wing Chun is first and foremost a human-structured based system which sets it apart from using the more “traditional” Shaolin animal kung fu mechanics.

Let’s then ask ourselves what exactly does holding down sheep/goats have with the art of Wing Chun? Do we hold such reverence for the farmers and countryside people who tended to livestock as to use that as a base for the entire art? How many of you practice your Yi Ji Kim Yeung Mah training over a goat?

I also heard that another explanation was that on the Red Boats this stance was used to steady oneself for training. If so, once again we have an occurrence of the stance being driven by environmental circumstances. How many of you have successfully held your Yi Ji Kim Yeung Mah AND do Wing Chun on a moving boat? I’ve tried this a few times at 25 knots (about 29 mph) and 40 knots (about 46 mph) on smooth and rough waters. I can tell you it doesn’t work and is completely impractical to use for that environment.

From what I gather on the Yeung/Yang version (陽), this use must be in reference to the Yin-Yang/Yim-Yeung Theory of balance and harmony. In Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kuen, the Heaven Human Earth concept is a central theme of the science. The Yin-Yang symbol is most illustratively presented at the base of the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun logo designated as the Earth element. This can be emblematic to the reasoning that at the foundation of all things, balance and harmony must be established first before engaging external forces. Hence why in Siu Nim Tao we learn to be still first, so that as we develop the ability to influence other forces through our Pak, Taan, Bong, etc… we discover our greatest strength is in our ability to hold our ground. Later when we move our horse to advance or adjust, it is done so with the essence of the Yi Ji Kim Yeung Mah intact rather than left behind. This explanation holds more substance as it resonates with the scientific basis of the Wing Chun art, for me, than the alternative.
    World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Does it work? Can you fight? Just sayin'.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    in my experience, yjkym when used in training teaches the student to develop a strong root, as you cannot place one foot back to stabilize.
    Rooting becomes, "internal."
    No, not the tree-hugging,ch'i-blast, internal, ya knuckleheads,
    But being in touch with the squeezing, contracting, spiraling, and alignments that goes on inside when trying to root while applying forward pressure, or receiving it.
    An example would be during chi-sao,
    or when you are working the mook yan jong, and apply the double palm strike, and rock the jong-without being moved backward.

Another use is when training live drills. You stand in yjkym to allow you the ability to go in whichever direction you need to to attack your opponent's attack, much the way you stand to receive a serve in tennis.
    You can also say that when used in fighting, it does not give your opponent your blind side.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.