Thread: My New Way Of Practicing Forms

My New Way Of Practicing Forms

Recently, my sifu taught me a new way of doing forms (new to me but certainly nothing new about it for Wing Chun). It's a super slow way of doing it where you really emphasize the deep diaphram breathing and you tense all the muscles making it kind of an isometric exercise. After about a month of doing it like this, you will never again hear your sifu say "Fix your stance!". When you do it with that kind of concentration along with the breathing, you have no choice but to use good technique and structure. If you don't, there's a good chance you'll fall on your ass. I've found that this has helped every single aspect of my Wing Chun. My structure, balance, timing, speed, chi sao, everything has improved. I encourage everyone who has not yet done this to give it a try. I think you should still practice your forms at regular speed, but this is a fantastic thing to do along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkout View Post
    Recently, my sifu taught me a new way of doing forms (new to me but certainly nothing new about it for Wing Chun). It's a super slow way of doing it where you really emphasize the deep diaphram breathing and you tense all the muscles making it kind of an isometric exercise. After about a month of doing it like this, you will never again hear your sifu say "Fix your stance!". When you do it with that kind of concentration along with the breathing, you have no choice but to use good technique and structure. If you don't, there's a good chance you'll fall on your ass. I've found that this has helped every single aspect of my Wing Chun. My structure, balance, timing, speed, chi sao, everything has improved. I encourage everyone who has not yet done this to give it a try. I think you should still practice your forms at regular speed, but this is a fantastic thing to do along with it.
    You know, it is not really necessary to do this form fast. It is a stationary form without footwork so does not really need to move fast. Doing it slowly allows you to practice precision as well. That is really the most important aspect of this form. I have seen utube where people were doing this form really fast, and their form was absolutely pathetic. They were taught Sil Lim without ever being taught what each move represents. The cart was put before the horse. If you practice something slowly and with conviction you will develop solid form, and when you are called on to use it you will do so with solid form. I think your Sifu is teaching right.
    Jackie Lee

Siu Nim Tao should be done slowly and deliberately, as you are developing muscle memory for the specific structural alignments of each tool. Too much slack and too much tension prevent functionality. Feel out each position and each move. Speed is not the focus, rather correct energy through proper form.
    World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Forms should be played fast, slow, intoxicated, tired, etc.

Chi Sau should be played fast, slow, sticking vs. sticky, pretending to be drunken, with joint locks or throwing as a focus, etc.

Sparring should be played fast, slow, body shots only, headhunting only, only allowed to defend, against a wall, on the floor, in a chair, etc.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

--------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like some Chris Chan influence in there somewhere...re isometrics. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    --------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like some Chris Chan influence in there somewhere...re isometrics. I could be wrong.
    I may not be up on things, but I'm not familiar with Chris Chan. My sifu learned from Moy Yat. That and some of the Wong Shun Leung lineage is the only Wing Chun I have any knowledge of. I'm assuming that Chris Chan is big on isometric training?

Blog Entries
    It's a super slow way of doing it.
    No matter how slow you may be, you still have to coordinate each move with your inhale or exhale. A move should not be slower than your single inhale or single exhale. If you use multiple inhales/exhales for your move, you are "too slow".
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I may not be up on things, but I'm not familiar with Chris Chan. My sifu learned from Moy Yat. That and some of the Wong Shun Leung lineage is the only Wing Chun I have any knowledge of. I'm assuming that Chris Chan is big on isometric training?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes on Chris Chan.Chris Chan is in San Francisco.