Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fak Sao ??

Fak Sao ??

Can anyone find the character whisk/sweep as in Fak Sao?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Possibly this: 拂手
    World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I believe this term to be one of the 'oldskool' that has been bent and stretched beyond it's recognition.

If you are talking of the double palm method in SLT, it is directly relatedf to the 'Horse Whip' famous in Plum Flower Boxing.

Just my opinion, but whisking hand sounds like you are making cakes, and this is not what I do
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 09-28-2012 at 08:36 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Can anyone find the character whisk/sweep as in Fak Sao?
    -----------------------------------

Don't know. Possibly-

8画
    手扌 + 5

shake off, brush away; dust

faak1,

---------------------------------------------------
    Literal translations do not give enough insight into the dynamics of motions IMO.

For development fak sao is in "our" lineage biu jee form.

Applications are rich and many.

掃 = sweep
    橫掃 = sweep away

Thanks Savi and Joy,
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post

I believe this term to be one of the 'oldskool' that has been bent and stretched beyond it's recognition.

If you are talking of the double palm method in SLT, it is directly relatedf to the 'Horse Whip' famous in Plum Flower Boxing.

Just my opinion, but whisking hand sounds like you are making cakes, and this is not what I do
    In all the many Wing Chun lineages I ever did there were Faak Saos in the Biu Jee form. But I guess there are none in yours. What can I tell ya?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

In all the many Wing Chun lineages I ever did there were Faak Saos in the Biu Jee form. But I guess there are none in yours. What can I tell ya?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Possibly Lee Shing did not learn biu jee from Ip man!!

The whisking as part of the Fak Sao movement is included in ,( but also variation in other styles) the SLT form of the Yui Choi "snake style". It's part of the evasion/ downward palm strikes to enemy that has come up from behind, bear-hug/ full nelson locking , etc. The arms whisk forcefully from your sides, crossing over your head while you shrink to break this binding hold , quickly, for escape. Will find and post vid . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2lqE...eature=related
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 09-27-2012 at 07:27 PM.

I rest my case guys. I would love to see a WC lineage with no Faak Sao/u. I can still learn new things after only 42 years in WC. ;-)
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Possibly Lee Shing did not learn biu jee from Ip man!!
    Do I detect a bit of 'oldboy' ganging up here gents?!

Firstly, I can assure you my Sigung knew Biu Jee. I only mentioned the SLT because that's very common knowledge, Biu Jee isn't.

Secondly, yes we have a 掃 /brushing/whipping palm but I personally do not use the 'whisking' palm terms as I think it's innaccurate and there are far too many innaccurate ideas out there already.

And finally, as both of you are seniors in the Wing Chun world (or at least in this fantastical forum anyway lol!) don't you think you should be leading by example rather than attempting to make a mockery of, not only one, but quite a few of my posts?!

If you're ego can handle it, you can always chat directly with my own Sifu and ask any questions you like. He has 47 years experience in Wing Chun Phil, if that makes you feel any better? And both of your Sifus know who he is and if they don't then you know absolutely nothing about my Sigung or what he learnt from Ip Man either!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I don't know what you're terming as fak sau but there's no fak sau in biu jee as taught by Ip Man.

http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2gls02U_t2Y

[QUOTE=LoneTiger108;1189524]
    And finally, as both of you are seniors in the Wing Chun world (or at least in this fantastical forum anyway lol!) don't you think you should be leading by example rather than attempting to make a mockery of, not only one, but quite a few of my posts?!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzfTqU_bIZg

In the video above you will see a decent version of the biu jee that I do.
    The fak sao section is after the flying elbows and the gan jam sections.
    I don't mind seeing a fak sao section in the biu jee from you, your sihing, sifu or sigung
    if you can give a link. A sense of the visible motion buy whatever name would aid in discussion.

Comparing perceptions, discussing them and even having different opinions is not necessarily mockery and I don't think that there has been mockery.

[QUOTE=Vajramusti;1189535]
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post

-------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzfTqU_bIZg

In the video above you will see a decent version of the biu jee that I do.
    The fak sao section is after the flying elbows and the gan jam sections.
    I don't mind seeing a fak sao section in the biu jee from you, your sihing, sifu or sigung
    if you can give a link. A sense of the visible motion buy whatever name would aid in discussion.

Comparing perceptions, discussing them and even having different opinions is not necessarily mockery and I don't think that there has been mockery.
    Even in your version after the gan sau section is mun sau.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I don't know what you're terming as fak sau but there's no fak sau in biu jee as taught by Ip Man.

http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2gls02U_t2Y
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

????Not just the Ho Kam Ming line (including Fong sifu and Lui Ming Fai) see Wong shon Long's biu jee-
    note the fak sao after the elbows and the gan jum sections:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0WOEnxFyGA