Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Fak Sao ??

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Not sure what your point is behind this video? Can you please tell us your idea of it's relevance?

IMO, while the clip has 'fak sau' in the title, I didn't see what I would call a fak sau at all. Besides all the bad facing, poor structure and 'grabbing', in the beginning of the clip I did see something more akin to saat geng sau being used.
    Can you please post a clip of what you think is good FAK SaU..

The clip i posted was basically showing whisking hand as a offensive technique...
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy Dave View Post
    Hi Phil, yeah get your point and for my part not trying to spread dogma or division, I actually agree with the 'we are all one family' type of thinking.

Its just how I remember being taught and no, didn't here it from WSL but I presume my Sifu would have as was a WSL student.

Any how the semantics aside I'm more interested in the usage, like I said was taught to me as a recovery technique from a side or rear attack - how do you teach it if I may ask?

Dave
    I'M from WSL ( sifu Li Man Kit). It was taught to me as fak sau. As I know it , favoured as an off line collecting tool, if that makes any sense.
    Last edited by Happy Tiger; 10-08-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Can you please post a clip of what you think is good FAK SaU..
    I don't know any showing fak sau in application. Not saying there aren't any, but I just don't have time to go looking for one (nor care enough really).

But, I have already shared a clip showing the 3 different fak saus HFY has in it's SNT earlier in this thread (post #36 if you want to see what I'm talking about). If you have any questions bout them, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    The clip i posted was basically showing whisking hand as a offensive technique...
    Again, I'd say there are no fak saus in that clip, but that's a dead horse I don't feel like beating any more. You can call it fak sau or anything else if you want though, no biggy to me
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    I'M from WSL ( sifu Li Man Lit). It was taught to me as fak sau. As I know it , favoured as an off line collecting tool, if that makes any sense.
    makes perfect sense to me!
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Man sao to me is a function while several different motions as applications can serve that function.
    Agreed, good point, as you say wu sao is often used in this way.

Per my long standing perspective, I don't speak for Fong sifu or his other students.But I try to understand and stay true to concepts and not embarrass my family.. In the details, individuals can use the same concepts and principles but be varied in their applications depending
    on various factors including skills, alertness/awareness, timing etc. Hence the distinction between development and application. At the developmental level the fak sao should be done properly as in the biu jee form.( in my learning, practice and teaching). Then with san sik free hand drills solo and also with partner one develops application- further enhanced via chi sao in all it's variations.
    Understand, thanks.

Yes, fak sao can be used against a close quarters attack from the back or side continuing into unbalancing the opponent for a throw or a strike using huen ma.For development the elbow is not finished in a bent position but in application it is- for energy conservation and minimizing chances of the elbow being broken or controlled. With chum kiu feet motions, fak sao can also (with development of skills) be used frontally against several different kinds of strikes, including some CLF types or overhand boxing strike or used with biu ma to control low incoming attacks.
    Thanks, I like that explaination especially the point about the bent elbow.

I think that we can listen to what others do and not sink to name calling pr incivility in discussion- so far so good on this part of the thread with Phil and Ozzy etc.
    Agreed, I'm happy to defer to the wisdom of the board which if used in an open spirit is a great resource. I've learn't something through the consensus which is great, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Looking at the kiut and the functions, it's hard for me to understand how anyone would feel these terms fak sau and man sau are interchangable. I fully repsect Ozzy Dave saying that is how he was taught/what he was told and mean no slight toward him, but in WCK, I was always taught to look to the concepts/principles of the system for my answers more-so than to blindly go by 'what sifu said'.
    No slight taken mate, as I said previously the action is more important than the name which would seem to be the same across the families and for my part what you say makes sence too.

I'M from WSL ( sifu Li Man Lit). It was taught to me as fak sau. As I know it , favoured as an off line collecting tool, if that makes any sense.
    Thanks, good feedback as I said happy to go along with the wisdom of the board.

Dave

That's how I learned it as well. We Wing Chun people are a lot closer than some of us might think.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    That's how I learned it as well. We Wing Chun people are a lot closer than some of us might think.
    I feel that way too

Wait are you saying you learned man sau is a fak sau? Like the two motions are named as the same one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Wait are you saying you learned man sau is a fak sau? Like the two motions are named as the same one?
    ? I think he's referring to the common application of fak sau being more or less universal in VT.

? I think he's referring to the common application of fak sau being more or less universal in VT.
    I wouldn't term it as universal. A good analogy would be arm triangle chokes. People might have little tricks they find make it work better have a new way of doing it or slipping in easier or whatever but it's still a choke.

I wouldn't term it as universal. A good analogy would be arm triangle chokes. People might have little tricks they find make it work better have a new way of doing it or slipping in easier or whatever but it's still a choke.
    Fair enough, that's why I said 'more or less'. One of the coolest things about VT is it's interpretative nature. I must admit though, to me, overlapping fak and mun sau seems more a stretch than say gahn sau and jahm sau.
    Last edited by Happy Tiger; 10-14-2012 at 09:58 AM.

Man is asking. Fak is whisking. How can they be the same thing?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

They can't which is the point I was making. I just misunderstood what you were saying

I'm not going to comment on the form as to each their own. In my own lineage we practice the form with mun sao and the angle and energy are very different to the fak sao found in siu With regard to Fak sao and Man / mun sao being the same thing, you only have to look at your own sentence to see that it is infinitely possible. Man / mun sao is a concept, you are asking with your technique looking for an answer, a response, a hole to drive through or a bridge to work from etc etc. It can be applied to any technique be it a punch, palm, jum, fak or any other
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook