Thread: Re Shaolin Forearm Conditioning

Re Shaolin Forearm Conditioning

Many years ago, when I was training in Henan Xinyi Liuhe Quan in Shanghai (I only trained for a year) , I was taught to swing and strike (in a very relaxed and light manner) all four sides of my forearms against a tree. Is this pretty standard Shaolin forearm conditioning too?

Quote Originally Posted by Sima Rong View Post
    Many years ago, when I was training in Henan Xinyi Liuhe Quan in Shanghai (I only trained for a year) , I was taught to swing and strike (in a very relaxed and light manner) all four sides of my forearms against a tree. Is this pretty standard Shaolin forearm conditioning too?
    Another fun forearm conditioning routine we practice is Tang Lang Chi Sao (sp?) which is basically a set practiced with a partner. I don't personally do the tree strikes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sima Rong View Post
    swing and strike (in a very relaxed and light manner) all four sides of my forearms against a tree.
    I'll suggest to work only on 3 sides instead. There is no need to train your inside arm. It's too close to your blood vessels.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I'll suggest to work only on 3 sides instead. There is no need to train your inside arm. It's too close to your blood vessels.
    Sounds like a plan.
    Actually in the martial art I used to do (Shorinji Kempo), we regularly used to parry (occasionally block/strike) with the inside of the forearm, and it got easier over time. But then, we spread our fingers when doing it. I guess I don't need any more inner forearm conditioning.

We do several different partner drills (not relaxed), but if you don't have a partner there's this: probably harder to find than a training partner.

Wow! So I should be killing the trees then, not tapping them? Some of that looks like xiao hong quan to me. But then again, I don't know many forms as yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    but if you don't have a partner ...
    Have you ever play chess game against yourself? You can always strike your right arm against your left arm.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Right. There is that too when there is no partner or tree. Simple knife hand chops up and down and all around the forearm work the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    yes this is true, i study shaolin kung fu now .my teacher lived in shaolin for 7 years. just a couple weeks ago he had us do arm banging. partner up and do a set of 20 reps. and he also mentioned this left side of the arm,where the bone is ,right side where the bone is and the top. not the bottom part where the viens are.

We do this with partner, against a steel pole or tree, or on a heavy sand bag.

I like the rollers, can't remember what they're called. I just remember it hurt like h3ll at first, now not so much. I don't have any fat in my arms and I am no Popeye, it was all bone and muscle. Took a few months to stop bruising.