Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Foward Energy - Biu Ma

[QUOTE=LoneTiger108;1189992]Listen, all I am saying is that you don't have to be healthy to be good at Wing Chun, or to start learning it. It was designed for the average man and woman, according to my learning. It wasn't intended to be an athletic endeavor, but these ideas naturally intersect with the systems development through the men who have had influence on it.

I'm not saying that you have to be a world class triathlete or olympic lifter, but discipline goes hand in hand with real martial arts mastery. If you have the title of sifu, you have a responsibility to demonstrate that discilpine to your students. It's kind of hard to look at someone as disciplined when he's obviously eaten far more than his share of KFC and Krispy Kreme donuts and has a gut so big he can't see his own *****. Wing Chun was designed for the average person without huge size or strength, but conditioning has always been a big part of Wing Chun training. You may not need to be super strong, but cardiovascular conditioning, balance, and other attributes built up through conditioning is vital for all martial arts. These things are not possible with someone who's morbidly obese and all other things being equal, his fighting ability will be worse than someone who is conditioned.

And why is that whenever people see a fat person, they give him the benefit of the doubt and think he may have some medical condition? Almost half the population in the US is fat, more in some states. I suppose the entire genetic code has been rewritten in the past 30 years or could it be that people are just eating too much crap?

An inspiration...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_TrMahkuvo

Now I'm not saying that everyone who is obese needs to be like Sammo, but he is a great example of going against stereotypical thinking imho. And he is very proud of his Wing Chun learning too
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Hey, I love Sammo too. His films are great and the fact that he's fat and can move like he does makes him more entertaining. But the fact remains that he would be better if he wasn't fat. And don't forget that he had a heart attack a few years ago. Practicing martial arts and not giving a crap about your health doesn't really go together. The fact that you can do Wing Chun while being in bad shape doesn't make it ideal. You can also a drive a rusted out 86 Ford Taurus. It'll get you around but nowhere near as good.

Sammo had a heart attack during the making of one of the Ip Man movies.

I was in LA for the filming of one of Sammo's old US TV series. One street near the set- a cafe- was blocked off for the filming.

Dude your funnny AS hell...I literally LOL at work when i read this...wow..man...i cant believe you stated that...just pure comedy!

Quote Originally Posted by duende View Post
    To be that fat and to utilize footwork that bad... This guy's a Sifu? By who's standards?

He just uses his gut to occupy space and press forward. The opponents can't reach him without crosses a bridge of fat. He then leans over his own fat to fall into his opponent while striking.

One fast kick in the knee and then get out of the way.

What an embarrassment to martial science.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

It was designed for the average man and woman,
    There's nothing average about that level of overweight.

This is Wing Chun, not Sumo.

And I know the difference between just learning as a hobby and throwing yourself deeply into the art itself for your life. Going under the banner of a traditional Sifu is not an easy task, let alone moving on from that and developing as an individual.
    What's that got to do with the subject of the thread or the flow of the discussion?

And why is that whenever people see a fat person, they give him the benefit of the doubt and think he may have some medical condition?
    Just trying to be nice, I guess. I too have some trouble grasping how someone can put in years or decades of training at the intensity necessary to get good enough to call oneself a Sifu and still stay enormous, unless there's something else going on.

And, yeah, Samo was never THAT big.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Not if it was against someone his own weight. If you fight someone 100 lbs heavier than you it really doesn't matter so much about their skill because they can just walk through you. Now there are exceptions but there is a reason combat sports use weight classes.
    Yeah, now I remember. He asked if there were any more questions at the end of his demo.

I have a question.

I hear that for about $10,000 you can get Butterbean in a ring. If someone came up with that money, would you get in the ring with Butterbean for all of our entertainment?

Then we could make a proper evaluation of the forward energy - biu ma displayed in that video.

I hear that for about $10,000 you can get Butterbean in a ring.
    Not quite sure what point you are making, but the comparatively diminutive Genki Sudo beat Butterbean pretty handily:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xeu...i-su_lifestyle
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Yeah, now I remember. He asked if there were any more questions at the end of his demo.

I have a question.

I hear that for about $10,000 you can get Butterbean in a ring. If someone came up with that money, would you get in the ring with Butterbean for all of our entertainment?

Then we could make a proper evaluation of the forward energy - biu ma displayed in that video.

I've got an even better idea.
    You guys come up with the 10k plus another 10k to bet. Bet on me to win.
    He takes a dive for a share of the winnings.
    Profit.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Not quite sure what point you are making, but the comparatively diminutive Genki Sudo beat Butterbean pretty handily:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xeu...i-su_lifestyle
    Butterbean has been beat by quite a long list of MMA fighters.

The point was instead of posting up "I'm a b@d-@$$ because I can bull rush Pointdexter the accountant, then ask 'any more questions' acting all tough on the internet" videos, if we want to do bull rush, then let's get a couple bulls in there and make it an interesting rush.

I mean, if I was teaching class and someone was being obnoxious and I had to rough them up a bit, I'd probably be pretty embarrassed as opposed to videoing it, captioning it to make me look tough and putting it up on the internet. If I saw a video I would probably destroy it quickly.

Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Butterbean has been beat by quite a long list of MMA fighters.

The point was instead of posting up "I'm a b@d-@$$ because I can bull rush Pointdexter the accountant, then ask 'any more questions' acting all tough on the internet" videos, if we want to do bull rush, then let's get a couple bulls in there and make it an interesting rush.

I mean, if I was teaching class and someone was being obnoxious and I had to rough them up a bit, I'd probably be pretty embarrassed as opposed to videoing it, captioning it to make me look tough and putting it up on the internet. If I saw a video I would probably destroy it quickly.

Just sayin'.
    Great post. Doesn't get more close to truth than that.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I've got an even better idea.
    You guys come up with the 10k plus another 10k to bet. Bet on me to win.
    He takes a dive for a share of the winnings.
    Profit.
    Why I get the impression Butterbean has already done this multiple times, I don't know.

Question?

If someone has correct structure...Could they use forward pressure against someone their size or bigger the way Sifu Shannon did against a smaller opponent?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

On someone your size if you control properly then yes.

On someone of larger size... Not unless they're standing like an idiot or you get perfect timing and angle.... And I mean absolutely perfect. Even then it's a huge energy expenditure because in the end it's still bigger versus smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    If someone has correct structure...Could they use forward pressure against someone their size or bigger the way Sifu Shannon did against a smaller opponent?
    Sure. You have to take into account the degree of "correctness". The better the fundamentals, the more the fight for centerline goes to the fraction of an inch better position.

Yes you can own centerline and chase a larger opponent. However, as Bacon notes, small fractions of a degree out of perfection and a larger opponent exploits the position.