Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: F-35's

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Dude, if my tax dollars are gonna pay for these things, then I'm at least qualified to talk about the expenditure and whether or not it is worth that at the very least.

The F-35 program in Canada is a bit of a meatball as our PM isn't that good at sorting these things and the guy on point (McKay) is not the most clever person and the reform party peeps who run the country seem to enjoy making policies in the dark and flying by the seat of their pants quite often on many issues.
    Not really. Do you know what it's for, the research supporting either for or against it, it's purpose in the order of battle, and what warfighter gaps it intends to cover?

In one thread we lament about the shortsightedness of the military, and now we lament about them thinking ahead?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

You do realize we live in a diff country with a diff military with diff goals, right?

What he knows is that the Harper Gov sold them to us as an 8 billion dollar project that has since doubled. That pis$ed alot of people off. Then Harper swears he has these magical agreements that get us all great head and some candy too, yet he won't produce any evidence. They sold us a base cost as an operational cost and purposely mislead the people who are paying for it. That is bullsh1t any way you look at it, and it's only the beginning. There are so many legit complaints here. The timing is very suspect and ties right in to the quality of the craft.

The questions about the actual quality of the craft came out of the financial story. Nobody was looking to trash the planes at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Not really. Do you know what it's for, the research supporting either for or against it, it's purpose in the order of battle, and what warfighter gaps it intends to cover?

In one thread we lament about the shortsightedness of the military, and now we lament about them thinking ahead?
    You see, this is what I should be sold on by my government who intends to make the purchase. It is pure asshattery for them to say "oh it's too complicated for you to understand, but we're going to take your money and direct military policy.

So, yeah really it is incumbent on the government at ALL times to explain itself and account for monies spent. They work for me, not the other way round. I think more people need to get aware of that.

Quite frankly, I'd like to see less military hardware not more. Less soldier, less wars and ultimately none at all. So, yeah, I'm not cool with spending billions on military machines that have not been explained to the public purpose wise and so on. I don't live in an authoritarian regime country and we need to remind the elected folks of that now and then.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

And what are you doing about that? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    And what are you doing about that? Just curious.
    Directly? I communicate with my MP's office on about a monthly basis in regards to expressing my opinion on the matter and offering possible pathways to solutions etc. More people need to do this.

Political activeness is more than waving a sign on a street or posting in facebook. Any citizen is fully entitled and fully enabled to communicate with their representative in parliament and civic government etc.

Political activeness is more than just voting too. Seriously, more people need to speak up and write to these folks we put in office to make policy on our behalf.

Why do you ask?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Like I already said, just curious.
    You seem like somebody who may actually do something rather than just talk.

Why else would I ask? I told you why right off the bat.

It really depends on your representative. Some will give you the time of day, some won't.
    If you have managed to form a relationship with your MP, that's great. Lucky you.

My tax dollars support this!

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quite frankly, I'd like to see less military hardware not more. Less soldier, less wars and ultimately none at all. So, yeah, I'm not cool with spending billions on military machines that have not been explained to the public purpose wise and so on. I don't live in an authoritarian regime country and we need to remind the elected folks of that now and then.
    Imagine how we feel in the States...they cry like babies that we're gutting the military when all we did was decide to increase their astronomical budget less than what was originally planned. Only in America is spending even more money also the same thing as budget cuts.

On the fighter jets, I'm no expert, but it seems dog fighting is a bit outdated. The focus appears to be shifting to drones, where they get a lot more use for a lot less money...why wouldn't they continue developing those technologies that require less man and machine power?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Imagine how we feel in the States...they cry like babies that we're gutting the military when all we did was decide to increase their astronomical budget less than what was originally planned. Only in America is spending even more money also the same thing as budget cuts.

On the fighter jets, I'm no expert, but it seems dog fighting is a bit outdated. The focus appears to be shifting to drones, where they get a lot more use for a lot less money...why wouldn't they continue developing those technologies that require less man and machine power?
    And it's not just a homeland thing. The US spends more money on Israels military than Israel. How fucked up is that?

I know dogfighting is kind of passe, but on the off chance somebody got thru our long range and mid range defenses and we had to actually defend ourselves, it might be nice to be able to scramble a few jets that have people in them. Drones are cool, but not the same. Better in many ways, yeah, for sure.

That being said, the F-35's are starting to look like a waste of time. And I have no doubt that most countries that made "promise" orders will back out and that will just increase our costs even more. I mean do we really need to buy a bunch of shit we don't need just to keep Lockheed in the black (like they would be in the red these days, right)?
    Last edited by Syn7; 12-13-2012 at 04:39 AM.

Drone technology is on the cusp of being what air superiority is.
    Imagine vehicles that can travel 10x as fast with all the same weaponry??

I don't see the point of putting people up there anymore.
    I don't see the point of attacking civilian targets ever.

Seriously, the people who want war?
    Let's just put them in stadium with some equipment and let them solve it there and then.

We have to move away from war and we have to move away from thinking it's necessary. It's not. the more we learn about ourselves through this amazing mass information and exchange, the easier it is to see the things we should put away from humanity.

Pandoras box should not even be a factor eventually. We are smart enough to close it I think.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I don't see the point of putting people up there anymore.
    I don't see the point of attacking civilian targets ever.

Seriously, the people who want war?
    Let's just put them in stadium with some equipment and let them solve it there and then.

We have to move away from war and we have to move away from thinking it's necessary. It's not. the more we learn about ourselves through this amazing mass information and exchange, the easier it is to see the things we should put away from humanity.

Pandoras box should not even be a factor eventually. We are smart enough to close it I think.
    While I like your thoughts, David, "this amazing mass information and exchange" is polarizing our society like never before. It would be nice, but I don't see us all holding hands anytime soon.

The problem with information is HOW it is used.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Drones are the future. I think we will see drone tanks and subs and eventually soldiers. Just think, soon we will be able to wage war without even having to risk our soldiers lives. In fact we would be able to wage war without even the complicity of our soldiers... or anyone. I have mixed feelings about that.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Drones are the future. I think we will see drone tanks and subs and eventually soldiers. Just think, soon we will be able to wage war without even having to risk our soldiers lives. In fact we would be able to wage war without even the complicity of our soldiers... or anyone. I have mixed feelings about that.
    Yeah and we can exploit our own people even more to pay for these disposable proxy wars. Sounds awesome.