Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Kung Fu Basics

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    So jeurng!? Would you say that is a "ridge hand" strike!?
    Nope. I wouldn't since I'm not hitting with the "ridge of the hand" but the palm. However, the strike is open handed & is executed in a wide arcing & dropping fashion.

Actually, I've never done anything in TCMA that resembles, karate's "ridge hand". I've done plenty of those in the 80's & early 90's so I'm very certain what one is. There are things I've done that can be misconstrued as a "ridge hand" by somebody who wasn't sure what they were seeing. But no "ridge hand" that I've come across.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

haha... Actually, this is a term that refers to both open and closed hands , still striking with the ridge of the hand.

It is very common though.

Cutting/ slicing with the fist/ palm.... Liao quan zhang... It could be Liao zhang or quan.

Where did this come from? What style? Names are important...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    Nope. I wouldn't since I'm not hitting with the "ridge of the hand" but the palm. However, the strike is open handed & is executed in a wide arcing & dropping fashion.

Actually, I've never done anything in TCMA that resembles, karate's "ridge hand". I've done plenty of those in the 80's & early 90's so I'm very certain what one is. There are things I've done that can be misconstrued as a "ridge hand" by somebody who wasn't sure what they were seeing. But no "ridge hand" that I've come across.
    Oh , ok. I thought you were using juerng in the general term, meaning any part of the open hand, not specifically the palm. thanks

Where did this come from? What style? Names are important...
    ...tai chi, xin yi , ba gua, crane, eagle, dragon... it is used as a general term ....this is just the term generally used for a specific angle of a "ridge hand". you can have; in to out, up to down, diagonally, back to front low to high, etc.

I may have a wushu kung fu dictionary for reference.....I will have to check into it.

in my opinion...

its more about the principles, mechanics, striking surface, etc. than the actual terminology. I used it to convey an idea or equate it for others who may or may not know chinese, martial arts, etc.

if we want to get into the discussion about how they differ/ same , various striking surfaces , angles, etc. , thats fine, but its still going to come down to physics/ mechanics structural alignment etc.

btw variations xiao , tiao, etc... angles/ directions from which a " ridge hand" is used.

wushu dictionary
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 10-09-2012 at 02:10 PM.

...tai chi, xin yi , ba gua, crane, eagle, dragon... it is used as a general term ....this is just the term generally used for a specific angle of a "ridge hand". you can have; in to out, up to down, diagonally, back to front low to high, etc.

I may have a wushu kung fu dictionary for reference.....I will have to check into it.
    Hmmm... Where in Taiji? Can you provide an example of a "ridge hand" in Taiji? I'm not familiar with in the Chen I've done.

From what I'm reading above, it sounds you're simplifying & changing techniques to fit a more "familiar" format for you.

Blog Entries
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

The second example is very clear, YouKnowWho, though maybe they don't train with enough intensity .
    Not really a safe technique to anywhere except the throat or groin I suppose, and only then if the arm was bent slightly at full extension. Figure they would use the inner forearm if it wasn't such a long range strike.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    OMFG, really? This is not what I am talking about , similar but different. You are right about this type of ridge hand strike. This is incorrect..

Quote Originally Posted by Sima Rong View Post
    .... if the arm was bent slightly at full extension. Figure they would use the inner forearm if it wasn't such a long range strike.
    alright, you are getting pretty warm with this line of thinking.

Hmmm... Where in Taiji? Can you provide an example of a "ridge hand" in Taiji? I'm not familiar with in the Chen I've done.

From what I'm reading above, it sounds you're simplifying & changing techniques to fit a more "familiar" format for you.
    Parting horses mane, ward off, snake creeps down, etc.

I have studied Japanese and Chinese martial arts equally, as well as others ....after all this time I would rather focus on the similarities, mechanical principles and the nuances that make it effective. After 30 years I know the differences.

I have had many students with prior experience in other arts, using general terms when discussing techniques among non Chinese speaking students is easier, more conventional.

And yes I am some what progressive in my thinking when it comes to the evolution of what I practice and teach.

I still value tradition.

Parting horses mane, ward off, snake creeps down, etc.
    Really?? Hmmm... ok...

I have studied Japanese and Chinese martial arts equally, as well as others ....after all this time I would rather focus on the similarities, mechanical principles and the nuances that make it effective. After 30 years I know the differences.

I have had many students with prior experience in other arts, using general terms when discussing techniques among non Chinese speaking students is easier, more conventional.

And yes I am some what progressive in my thinking when it comes to the evolution of what I practice and teach.

I still value tradition.
    Ohtay Span'ee....

Thank you Rising Crane. And what part of the hand/ wrist is the striking / contact surface?
    The thumb is folded into the palm, the wrist starts sunk down, then as the arm travels from low to high, the wrist is snapped inward so that the ridge of the hand makes contact.

Application: The arm has covered the opponents bridge/arm from inside to out then 'plucked' downward at a 45 degree angle. The idea is to jerk the opponent's head forward. Then the snapping upward strike meets the bridge of his nose as his head comes forward.

Actually, I've seen this strike, a 'gull wing strike (?)' in Okinawan karate, and I wouldn't really be that surprised if it's in some Southern Chinese art that karate evolved out of. I'm pretty sure that was aimed at the throat or the bridge of the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by RisingCrane View Post
    The thumb is folded into the palm, the wrist starts sunk down, then as the arm travels from low to high, the wrist is snapped inward so that the ridge of the hand makes contact.

Application: The arm has covered the opponents bridge/arm from inside to out then 'plucked' downward at a 45 degree angle. The idea is to jerk the opponent's head forward. Then the snapping upward strike meets the bridge of his nose as his head comes forward.
    Thank you once again Rising Crane.