Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Shaolin Kung Fu Basics

Quote Originally Posted by Sima Rong View Post
    Actually, I've seen this strike, a 'gull wing strike (?)' in Okinawan karate, and I wouldn't really be that surprised if it's in some Southern Chinese art that karate evolved out of. I'm pretty sure that was aimed at the throat or the bridge of the nose.
    Yes...!

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

I'll challenge anybody to find "ridge hand" in any style of the CMA.

Hello,

Sorry YKW,
    But there is indeed a ridgehand. In Shaolin we call it ZanZi Shou, or Zan shou.

It uses the side of the knuckles.
    It is usually done palme up.

In Shaolin we mostly use it by using the third knuckle side, the furthest (and weakest) knuckle. I know this sounds strange but it is very fast and whippy and used to attack the adams apple, eyes or nose. Similar techniques can be done using the middle or primary knuckle as well, but range and speed are reduced.

Often we shape the weapon to the specific target, so there are many small variations on common fists for use against specific contours or surfaces.

Also, I learned in a XInYi style once, a ridge hand, like an axe blow downward, but with the ridge instead of a chop. It is more difficult to block, but a little dangerous as the force goes against your elbow so you can break your own arm.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 10-10-2012 at 09:29 AM.