Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fight like a snake

Fair enough...

...as long as you're not going to Thailand to do so, because that would be idiotic.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Snake fist (Se kuen/she kuen etc) also has a strong component of coiling, wrapping and crushing.

I think that aspect gets overlooked in favour of eye strikes or something. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Snake fist (Se kuen/she kuen etc) also has a strong component of coiling, wrapping and crushing.

I think a lot of it has to do with controversy of people claiming finger strikes are un usable due to not being able to do them themselves, from lack of conditioning and logical understanding. Then it becomes a focus of attention.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I think a lot of it has to do with controversy of people claiming finger strikes are un usable due to not being able to do them themselves, from lack of conditioning and logical understanding. Then it becomes a focus of attention.
    That's mostly claims coming from students of Wing Chun who just finished learning Biu Ji.

If a person want's to have that skill, there is a lot of compression that is going to have to happen and a crap load of device work with the handform.

In my opinion, in this day and age, it is not a highly useful gong to focus on.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Well, thrusting fingers is far more cool than "wrappy arm moves"
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Well, thrusting fingers is far more cool than "wrappy arm moves"
    Both at the same time and she'll explode like a firecracker. Guaranteed.

wait...you were fishing for that joke right?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Both at the same time and she'll explode like a firecracker. Guaranteed.

wait...you were fishing for that joke right?
    I'm become predictable in my old age !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Never met one, snake stylist that is, .
    yeah you have. If you've met any of Lam Sang's SPM guys who trained with the old man, Mark Foon, Chun Ho Dun, and a select few others who stay well under the radar.
    Lam's SPM is very snake-like. In its movements (coiling, spiraling, quick, evasive, cruel) and in its mindset(cold-blooded, aggressive, yet calm and focused).
    Chung Yel Jung was called the Poison Snake. The weapons are referred to as Poison Snake staff, spear. The knives are called snakes as well as the hands.
    Mark my words, the truth will come out.
    We're snakes.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    yeah you have. If you've met any of Lam Sang's SPM guys who trained with the old man, Mark Foon, Chun Ho Dun, and a select few others who stay well under the radar.
    Lam's SPM is very snake-like. In its movements (coiling, spiraling, quick, evasive, cruel) and in its mindset(cold-blooded, aggressive, yet calm and focused).
    Chung Yel Jung was called the Poison Snake. The weapons are referred to as Poison Snake staff, spear. The knives are called snakes as well as the hands.
    Mark my words, the truth will come out.
    We're snakes.
    Perhaps, though I see more in the dragon's style then in the typicla snake.
    BUT I have never seen southern snake so....unless, again, you are on the button and SPM is just a "new name" for "southern snake fist".

I've read that snake as it's own traditional system has died out and what remains is incorporated in various forms and styles. Does anyone have any evidence to the contrary? Obviously Hung Gar and other 5 animal based systems use the the techniques; and there's tons of modern snake forms...hard to find real traditional ones though; and they seem to mostly be from other southern, animal based systems.

So does anyone know of any "pure" pre-Communist Era Snake Systems?

That's mostly claims coming from students of Wing Chun who just finished learning Biu Ji.

If a person want's to have that skill, there is a lot of compression that is going to have to happen and a crap load of device work with the handform.

In my opinion, in this day and age, it is not a highly useful gong to focus on.
    Actually the issue is more with accurately hitting a small target under pressure while you opponent is trying to stomp your guts out. It's hard enough just to hit them let alone spear an eye with your fingers and avoid breaking them on the various hard bits of skull surrounding. While it is possible it is neither a high percentage move compared to others nor is it generally a legally justifiable level of force.

While I do practice wing chun and I know this hand form come from snake, if you have to hit to the eyes I'm far more in favour of using a palm strike to the face and then gouging with the fingers. Much easier to actually pull off. Best of all would be controlling position on the ground and the gouging if the situation allows.

Kung fu movies always had the best training sequences !
    Heck yeah!

I have a movie called "Dragon's Claws" (I think that's the name) and in the movie, one of the guys trains with these golden bowling ball things that have finger holes cut in them and he puts his hands in them and does forms/upper body techniques/etc and I remember watching that and thinking "that's so awesome!" A few times I almost considered getting two bowling balls with 5 finger holes cut in them so I could train that way myself.

Good thing I didn't, though. It wouldn't have done much. But it would've been cool

The "animal based" systems weren't suppose to imitate the animal but to take the qualities of that animal that would carry over into the "fighting style".
    IN the case of the snake - speed, relaxed spring power, pin-point accuracy.
    Yeah, I guess. But really you can apply that to every style. What style doesn't use speed? What style doesn't encourage you to be relaxed? Etc. And pin-point accuracy goes out the window when you have an adrenaline dump.

The "snake fist" would be used after the hands were conditioned enough to be used and, typiclaly, used only on specialized techniques, namely the "finishers".
    Think taking a guy out with , using a common point of reference, with a left hook to the liver and and over hand right and then finishing him with a "snake fist" to the throat/neck.
    Fair enough.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I study Neanderthal style.
    They have the best blunt weapons! The hair pulling is part of their BB curriculum.

snake fail

snake fail

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I've read that snake as it's own traditional system has died out and what remains is incorporated in various forms and styles. Does anyone have any evidence to the contrary? Obviously Hung Gar and other 5 animal based systems use the the techniques; and there's tons of modern snake forms...hard to find real traditional ones though; and they seem to mostly be from other southern, animal based systems.

So does anyone know of any "pure" pre-Communist Era Snake Systems?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_H_8...eature=related