Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fight like a snake

I'm wondering where Hendrik is in this conversaion of snakes???!

Yiu Choi wasn't the only Wing Chun Sifu to promote this side to our system but I do find many that simply detatch from all this animal magic because maybe it has never really been taught well.

The snake has a mysterious secerecy surrounding it too and some say these old ways are hidden with the women sages of Taoism, so I guess we are all kept in the dark these days
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

FYI on Li Jing

The snake practitioner for this episode was Li Jing. She's a former Beijing WUSHU team member, appeared in M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender and Legendary Amazons, and is very fast, as wushu champs are fast.

Here's a pic of her and me at the 2011 Nationals.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene, you really need to land a villain role in a kungfu movie.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    The snake practitioner for this episode was Li Jing. She's a former Beijing WUSHU team member, appeared in M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender and Legendary Amazons, and is very fast, as wushu champs are fast.
    This Li Jing??
    http://youtu.be/9xjNrJxgu-Q

Pretty cool wushu but they do churn out the talent in Beijing

http://youtu.be/imM08ah58ik
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Lucas, what do you think I do for a living?

Funny you should mention this as someone just came into our office and saw some of our drafts of our next cover which will feature her partner. She said she thought it looked evil, to which I said 'That's good. It's the wulin. Half of us look evil and the other half look good. Just look at all of our past covers.' It was an off-the-cuff comment and seemed to satisfy her.

Sometimes it bums me out that I have a villainous look. I've seen so many Kung Fu movies and I don't want to spit blood and die at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Yeah, that's her. I think the clips of her in that demo reel of her with dao that are shot against the white studio background just might have been in our studio. I don't remember that shoot offhand, but it sure looks like our space and lighting.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

You need to be a pioneer villain Gene. We'll write a movie where the villain wins in the end. Not enough of those in my opinion. The whole hero always wins in the end thing is old and over done. You just have to be a villain that people can like.

We can call it 'Revenge of the Ninjettes'
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Never mind snakes and tigers

Lucas, old friend, I am now dropping today's ace card on ya.

Meet my ninja cats.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I just have one question about those ladies:
    Does the carpet match the curtains?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Don't mess with my Cheshire Puss Posse

This is what I do when I'm not being a Kung Fu villain.

Beyond Bay Area Announce Trailer 2012 @13 sec

Oakland rave riles East Bay neighbors
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Meet my ninja cats
    Now I bet they're all Taoists
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Nice ears Gene

****, you dropped the bomb on me. 'Revenge of the Shaolin Ninja Cats'

You can be an ex monk who was kicked out of the temple for being to fierce and violent. Along your travels you develop a method of fighting from watching stray feral cats fight in alley ways and behind restaurants, battling over left over fish heads and guts. After combining your new found style with your legendary shaolin skills, you travel across the country side taking and pillaging as you please. Along the way you attract a small following of fiercly loyal women, to whom you impart your feral cat style to. After years of traveling and fighting your way across china, you find yourself back in the vicinity of the shaolin temple, and your rage quickly boils to the surface, and you plan out your revenge against the abbot. You lead your destructive ninja cats against the shaolin temple and decimate the warrior monks and result in a little known destruction of the shaolin temple. The only records left of this mysterious destruction of the temple are found within the record halls of shaolin do.

He needs a fumanchu beard and crazily long eyebrows first.

The "animal based" systems weren't suppose to imitate the animal but to take the qualities of that animal that would carry over into the "fighting style".
    IN the case of the snake - speed, relaxed spring power, pin-point accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Yeah, I guess. But really you can apply that to every style. What style doesn't use speed? What style doesn't encourage you to be relaxed? Etc. And pin-point accuracy goes out the window when you have an adrenaline dump.
    Let me say that I agree with you to a point, that all systems use speed, power, skill etc.

The difference between animal styles is what makes each style unique.

Tiger style: Aggressive, attacking with hard blocks and claws. Going straight to the throat with strikes or claws.

Snake style: Patient, waiting for submissions thru coiling and smothering. Similar to MMA ground work.

Monkey style: Sneaky, using feints and elusive footwork, jumping around waiting for you to fall for one of his antics.

The above animal styles are my own interpretations. Even though they all will need speed and power.... thet all have different methods that make them each a different way to fight as though an animal.

ginosifu

As I have point out on a few threads, there is something to be said about an "a typical" fighting style, something that brings something different to the table, much like BJJ did in the early days of vale tudo and the UFC.
    That said, you still have to make it work.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !