Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zen/Buddhist brand names

So on topic, it hurts

Zen Is Not A Perfume
    BY JAN CHOZEN BAYS| DECEMBER 24, 2018

Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)More
    In the Fall 2002 issue of Buddhadharma: The Practitioner’s Quarterly, Jan Chozen Bays offered this open letter to purveyors of commercial products bearing the label “Zen.”

Photo by Christin Hume on Unsplash

As someone who has practiced Zen for thirty years and is called a Zen master by some, I know I should have mastered allowing irritation to arise but not persist. But I haven’t. There’s one thing that really makes me crabby. It is the way the label “Zen” is plastered on anything anyone wants to sell, from perfume to computers.

The point of Zen practice is not to sell anything or anyone. It is not a name for a product. Enlightenment is not something to acquire. It is a process, lifelong—or lifetimes long. It is very hard and very rewarding work.

Zen is not a perfume. The point of Zen is not to cover up the stink of the sweating, striving self. The point of Zen is to put the entire mass of self-centered, self-serving strategies on a funeral pyre, strike a match and burn it down to clean ash. That ash serves as wholesome fertilizer for whatever life arises next, whether cabbage or king.

Does the name Zen really apply to what you are trying to sell or how you sell it?

I hereby ask all those who slap the label “Zen” on their beer bottles, paint it on signs outside their curio shops, or dot.com it on their website, to please think for a moment whether you deserve to use it. Do you know what the word “Zen” means? Have your ad agency guys even looked it up in a Buddhist dictionary? It means samadhi, a profoundly pure and quiet state of mind acquired—no, not acquired! uncovered— through deep meditation. Probably not acquired through buying your product.

At our Zen monastery (which I am not trying to sell, as we just bought it) we have a small business that we call ZenWorks. We think it’s a good name, because we know from personal experience that Zen does work. We’ve watched it transform our greed, anger, and delusion, albeit more slowly than we would like. We also picked the name because our products—air-filled meditation cushions and elevated meditation benches—make the work of Zen easier for those practitioners whose mind and heart are still willing but whose older, bulkier, and stiffer bodies are beginning to complain. We feel we have earned the name and we work at serving it.

Does the name Zen really apply to what you are trying to sell or how you sell it? Two fundamental tenets of Buddhist practice are to want little and to be easily satisfied. Is that your aim? Are you helping people to live a life of less suffering and more happiness through continuous practice of meditation, virtue, and insight?

Think for a moment. Would it make sense to pick names like Catholic Computers, Baptist Bubble Bath, or Lutheran Lager? Would you title a book Jesus and the Art of Selling Jewelry, or Methodism and the Art of Making Muffins? It’s disrespectful to use a name you did not earn.

If you should wish to use the name Zen honestly, let me know. I’d be happy to help you set up a meditation hall in your shop and teach the benefits of Zen practice to your employees. But you have to give them enough time to do it so that it becomes an integral part of their lives, their work, and finally, down the assembly line, your product.

I’m sitting on my cushion (ZenAir™) next to the phone. Give me a call.
    This is my point exactly. Although I see more of the humor in it than Master Jan Chozen Bays.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Funky Buddha Brewery

There are probably enough Buddhist Beers now to make a separate thread from our Zen/Buddhist brand names one.

I want some Funky Jesus Beer.

Funky Buddha Brewery

Funky Buddha Brewery was founded in 2010 in Boca Raton, Florida, and is committed to producing bold craft beers that marry culinary-inspired ingredients with time-honored technique. Our mantra is big, bold flavors, made exactingly with natural ingredients. So, for example, if we say a beer will taste like peanut butter and jelly, you can be sure you’ll smell and taste the fresh roasted peanuts and fruity berry jam. Our flagship beers such as Hop Gun IPA and Floridian Hefeweizen, also strive towards big, bold flavor. It’s who we are.

Our Brewery is located in the heart of Oakland Park’s new Culinary Arts District. The 110,000 sq-ft facility is powered by a 30-barrel, three-piece brewhouse, which feeds nearly 45,000 BBLs of capacity, making us South Florida’s largest craft microbrewery. Each of our distinctive beers is brewed using the finest, all-natural ingredients. We offer tours of our facility, scratch-made grub, and dozens of delicious beers on tap daily.

You can sample our creations in our spacious tap room - open 7 days a week, 11:30am to midnight - as well as in bars and restaurants all across South Florida. Or just pick up a six pack of Hop Gun or Floridian or one of our seasonal offerings at major retailers throughout Florida. And of course, we still brew at our original location in Boca Raton, the Funky Buddha Brewery & Lounge, which has become a test kitchen for our more experimental brews.

See you soon for a pint! Cheers!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shindo Ramen Zendo noodles

A cup ramen for Zen Buddhists: New Shindo Ramen Zendo noodles are meat, dairy and egg free
    Katy Kelly 15 hours ago

These ascetic noodles taste like soy sauce, and leave out all animal products — as well as the five pungent roots!

Sometimes what we think we want and what we need are at odds. Perhaps your body thinks it wants a gigantic slab of beef on a burger, but you’d actually be much more spiritually satisfied with a meatless curry. This goes double in recent times, seeing how the meat industry has a not-insignificant impact on the environment, and so it’s little wonder that the food industry is looking for ways to cater to vegetarian and vegan palates.

But as it turns out, there’s a set of experts who are old hands at this whole “restrictive diet” thing. That’s right: Buddhist monks! Shojin ryori is the name given to the diet eaten by devout monks, and while said diet varies based on location and teachings, the general rules remain the same: no meat, no eggs, no fish — and none of the five pungent roots either. This refers to aromatic roots: garlic, Allium chinense, asafoetida, shallot and mountain leek, all of which are said to “excite and stimulate” the palate.

Shoji Ramen Zendo, a cup ramen brand that went on sale on February 1, promises to avoid animal products — as well as any exciting and stimulating flavors.

▼ Even the packaging is calm, clean and minimalistic.

Zen-Foods, creator of Shoji Ramen Zendo, spent three whole years perfecting their recipe to provide a wholesome, nourishing meal for vegetarians and vegans…while honoring the principles of an austere Zen diet. They’ve dabbled in the cup ramen market prior to this, but this marks Zen-Foods’ first soy sauce ramen, and unlike their previous offerings the Shoji Ramen Zendo comes with soy meat toppings!

▼ Rather than aromatic herbs, this ramen uses bok choy, ginseng and pumpkin for added flavor.

The base for the broth was created by brewing Japanese kelp alongside other vegetables in soy sauce, and results in a mellow, “nostalgic” flavor that even meat-eaters should be able to appreciate. And at under 300 kilocalories, it’s a light and refreshing meal that won’t leave you feeling as encumbered as other variations on cup ramen that we could name.

Don’t hold your breath waiting to see this frugal noodle cup on supermarket shelves, though. If you want to taste this healthy twist on a classic snack, you’ll need to order it directly for now, from the supplier in a case of twelve for 3,600 yen plus tax (US$32.78).

Source, images: PR Times
    Related: Zen Foods
    I'd support these if they were available, even if it's almost $3 per cup.

THREADS
    Shaolin diet, vegetarianism and stuff
    Zen/Buddhist brand names
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

X Ambassadors, K.Flay and grandson - Zen (Official Video)

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Re: X Ambassadors, K.Flay and grandson - Zen (Official Video)

zen pen

So basically it's a mini-********-lightsaber?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Daruma kicks

Not quite a Buddhist brand name, but definitely Bodhidharma related.

ASICS GEL-LYTE III "Baltic Jewel" Channels Buddhist Energy With Daruma Doll Inspiration

Paying homage to its Japanese roots.
    Footwear
    Dec 22, 2020
    By Eric Brain

ASICS pays homage to its Japanese heritage with its latest GEL-LYTE III sneaker, serving a “Baltic Jewel” pair that features inspiration from Daruma dolls.

These traditional Japanese dolls are modeled after Bodhidharma, the founder of Zen, or Ch’an Buddhism. Although the dolls typically appear in red, they can be served in various other bold colors such as the bright teal found on the sneaker above.

No matter what color they’re presented in, a Daruma doll always depicts a bearded man. In ASICS’ sneaker, the black beard seen on the rubberized hangtag has been continued into the sneaker’s design, with patent black leather taking form on the mid-panel branding stripes and heel section.

Elsewhere, gold has been used to highlight areas such as the heel and signature GEL-LYTE III components all around, while perforated white leather on the toe box and mid-panel cuts through the bright colors.

Naturally, the pair is finished with its foot-hugging split tongue construction and a tri-density midsole for immense amounts of comfort and support, all while delivering unrivaled amounts of shock absorption.

Take a look at the ASICS GEL-LYTE III in “Baltic Jewel” above, and pick up a pair for yourself from stockists such as Footpatrol. The pair retails for £105 GBP (approx. $140 USD).

In case you missed it, read up on how New Balance won 2020.
    These should be red, not teal.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips