Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Flow Drills Por Favor

Hybrid View

Post Flow Drills Por Favor

Hey Guys, in Mantis Boxing we have a flow drill called Slap and Press
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL5z3K63fTA

I'm curious about flow drill across the board of fighting arts, and where the concepts are embedded within the drill.

While some might argue that flow drills aren't an accurate reflection of how people fight, I find that it develops attributes that are specific the characteristics of the system.

Mike D.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dasargo View Post
    Hey Guys, in Mantis Boxing we have a flow drill called Slap and Press
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL5z3K63fTA

I'm curious about flow drill across the board of fighting arts, and where the concepts are embedded within the drill.

While some might argue that flow drills aren't an accurate reflection of how people fight, I find that it develops attributes that are specific the characteristics of the system.

Mike D.
    that was VERY nicely done; while I think flow drills have inherent limitations, frankly the way u do them minimizes the pitfalls and maximizes the benefits!

Blog Entries
    This kind drill is more useful than the Taiji push hand or WC Chi Shou. If you can add head lock, reverse head lock (guillotine), underhook, overhook, bear hug, ... it will be even better.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This kind drill is more useful than the Taiji push hand or WC Chi Shou. If you can add head lock, reverse head lock (guillotine), underhook, overhook, bear hug, ... it will be even better.
    Haha, so what's the bear hug guy's move after you dump him on his head?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Haha, so what's the bear hug guy's move after you dump him on his head?
    He can stand on his opponent's dead body and perform "white crane flips wings" to prove that he is a Taiji guy, or perform "Bong Shou" to prove that he is a WC guy.

He can stand on his opponent's dead body and perform "white crane flips wings" to prove that he is a Taiji guy, or perform "Bong Shou" to prove that he is a WC guy.
    You made me spit tea on my ipad...

just some advice John, when u win the Int3rn3tz like that, if u don't kno what to do w it, just ask bawang, as he's won it many times

Quote Originally Posted by youknowwho View Post
    he can stand on his opponent's dead body and perform "white crane flips wings" to prove that he is a taiji guy, or perform "bong shou" to prove that he is a wc guy.

+1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

bwahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhahaa...so gonna do a mantisy thing in my next video.

If you can add head lock, reverse head lock (guillotine), underhook, overhook, bear hug, ... it will be even better.
    Yes! I know there are grappling flow drills like pummeling neck ties, under over clinch etc, but there's not any that develops the indicator for a striking opportunity, or a striking flow drill that transitions into clinch controls.

Great idea...gonna have to look outside of mantis and find the common threads.

Mike D.

but there's not any that develops the indicator for a striking opportunity, or a striking flow drill that transitions into clinch controls.
    Yes there is. All of my coaches have us practice flow drills regularly. Including my boxing/thai boxing, wrestling and jiu jitsu coaches. Then when the fight team gets together to practice and put everything together for MMA we still use flow drills to transition from standing, to clinch, to take downs, to the ground (grappling and ground striking) and back up.

I've been training in Shaolin and Tai Chi for about 15 years now and one truth I've realized is, as good as they are still still have holes. To be a "complete" martial artist one needs to train outside of their chosen art form.

that was actually my point...I should have said, there aren't any in Mantis Boxing.

I guess the last statement
    "Great idea...gonna have to look outside of mantis and find the common threads."

wasn't clear enough about that.

BJJ is obviously not our fuerte, but here's a lil something we worked on last night:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=cyOzZhUvliw

Blog Entries
    BJJ is obviously not our fuerte, but here's a lil something we worked on last night:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=cyOzZhUvliw
    It's very interest in your clip at 0.03. That's the stand up thrower the worse nightmare. When you find a perfect chance and enter, your opponent spins with you and drag you down. There are 5 major soloutions to that problem and you can write a book about it.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-09-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    that was VERY nicely done; while I think flow drills have inherent limitations, frankly the way u do them minimizes the pitfalls and maximizes the benefits!
    No doubt, I liked it too.