Thread: good supplements for bad knees?

lowsweep Guest

good supplements for bad knees?

I have bad knees. I used to play a lot of soccer and I got slide tackled a little too often. This was five years ago, though, and they are still somewhat bad. It used to be that whenever they got bumped, even lightly, they would hurt and swell up. Now they dont do that unless i really get hit hard but if I get knocked on my knees a few times they will act strangely a few hours later. Sometimes one will seize up for a couple seconds and make it hard to walk, sometimes they will be a little sore, I never know what to expect. I think I must have damaged a ligament or tendon or something, because five years should have been plenty of time to heal perfectly.What I'm wondering is does anyone know of any supplements or anything I can do/take that will help rebuild and heal whatever is hurt?
    thanks,
    lowsweep

Take the pebble
    from my hand

"You ain't the only one
    who knows some sh*t"

Silumkid Guest
    I've heard good things about glucosamine. Been meaning to try it for my bum wrist, but haven't gotten around to it. :rolleyes: at me.

It is supposed to support joint tissue regeneration, but do not know much about the exact pathways.

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

Shaolin Guest
    Depends on alot of factors, prexsisting injury, is it the joint or muscle/tendon soreness, do you believe in chiropractics. Aot of times what happens is the alignment of our body slips out of place, when this happens the muscle can be stretched or tweeked in a manner that causes soreness, sometimes a minor adjustment from a good chiropractor can releave the pain, other times you may need to supplement. Glucosamine sulfate is a good start but don't expect results overnight, it can typically take 2-3 months for the glucosamine to kick in. Over time our joint lose some of its lubrication what the glucosamine does is it helps to relubricate the joints which in turn reduces joint pain. Muscle/tendon pain is different ranging from an over stretch to a pull to a tare, in any case of these see a doctor.

Attack me and I'll kill you.

ElPietro Guest
    Have you been to the doctor? If not then go...get it examined. Knees aren't something you should play around with. No supplement is going to make much difference no matter how many years you take it. Get it checked out and find out what the problem is FIRST, before you look for the cure.

Usually the knees suffer a lot of wear and tear and much of the damage is somewhat permanent...if the doctor doesn't find anything then you may just try strengthening the muscles around the knee, like the quads...but do this very slowly to build up strength and prevent further setbacks.

stubbs Guest
    hi,

i had a similar problem, my knees and hips used to pop and hurt alot. i went to a chinese medicine centre and they gave me the following:

wangbi granules - looks like intant coffee and is used in the same way. it tastes like christmas pudding.

Xiao Huo Luo Wan - small black tablets that smell like liquerice(sp?)

and... woddlock oil - a chinese version of deep heat.

they made a big difference especially the wangbi granules but i had to give them up because they were too expensive.

i've tried looking for them online but i could only find the woodlock oil.

if you give them a try tell me what you think.

stubbs.

"satisfaction loses,and humility gains"

fmann Guest
    take supplements with both glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin (sp?) sulfate. i forgot the study, but one alone doesn't really help. Both contain essential components of the proteoglycans and glycosaminoglycans in the cartilage of the knee.

also, age plays a difference in results. these supplements have greater results in elderly people who have poor healing capabilities and arthritis. younger people may or may not see that much of a result... although can't rule out placebo effect.

knee seizing up every once in awhile? dude, that sounds like a chronic tendonitis or jumper's knee or some ailment that should be looked at!

azwingchun Guest

joints

Try MSM......I had elbow problems in the past, I began taking MSM and the pain and aches have completely gone away. ;)

Repulsive Monkey Guest

Hhmm

Tonify Kidney 3 and 6.