Thread: Jut Sao?

Hybrid View

Yes this Jut Sao is also at 1:55 in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4RQ8wpSEb4

But also at 0.10-0.20 you have a Jut Sao...simliar to what STAN was doing his videos showing an outside defense...

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Yes, this is what I refer to as somthing that could be labeled 'jut sau'. While I don't agree with his application ofa ngling off centerline when he demo'd going from 2 hand contact to one, this looks like the technique.

Here's is the correct link I was referring to for ngoi jut saus in HFY SNT. Not sure why I'm having such trouble with video links lately! Anyway, as stated before you'll see double hand jut saus at 1:31 and 1:37:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE84nEJOiYk&feature=plcp

yeah, I would still call that a type of laap sau, but a very very poor one since it's really nothing more than just a fully committed grab and far from a guiding/jerking motion of jut sau. I guess that's where we'll have to agree to differ.
    And actually, I would loosely term the full action on the 'second one' as Laap Saat Geng Sau.

That's a pretty broad stretch of the term 'jut' to say it applies even when someone grabs and pulls as in both the Wong clip and the first one you posted, but again, to each his own.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Yes this Jut Sao is also at 1:55 in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4RQ8wpSEb4
    That's fine, so we half-agree on what jut sau is..
    I say that because it seems to me like you are calling 2 very different actions the same technique (one is jut sau and one is laap sau I say you are incorrectly labeling as also being jut sau). What is your definition of laap sau, and how does it differ from jut sau?

Also to get into the real meat of things and away from 'technique' thinking, what WCK concepts or ideas are behind each one and what makes the 2 technques different? For me, things like gate theory, facing, leverage points, contact points, box theories etc come to mind, but I'm curious what in WCK dictates the usages of the 2 different techniques for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    But also at 0.10-0.20 you have a Jut Sao...simliar to what STAN was doing his videos showing an outside defense...
    Oh my.. IMO you would do yourself a BIG favor by distancing yourself from that 'clown'. I wouldn't view call of anything stan does in his clips as 'wing chun'. First clue is he's bridging with jut sau in the first place, and far the correct proper range the tool typically operates in. heck, he's even bridging outside of bridging range! Ahhh, not worth talking about any more really..
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 10-06-2012 at 03:54 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

My Definition of Jut Sao is jerking motion...my definition of lop Sao is pulling motion....

When i pull your hand down subtlely its lop...when i jerk you its jut...

One is soft the other is hard...Yin and Yang if you will.

Too your second question...Techniques are trained and drilled to become natural an flow after awhile...when sparring you dont have time to think about this technique for that...at best you hope your endless drilling programmed your body to react instinctively...but sometimes your body wont do said technique correct or at all....thats why you have a abunance of tools at your disposal...some work better for certain situtations and fighters. But you use the tools as best you can but the main thing is to always be on the offense forever attacking your opponent and forever moving into his space moving forward aggressively...in the midst of moving forward you want to control him by using uprooting techniques, blind sidind and jamming techniques...constinously destroying his structure and balance while landing strikes.

As for facing...you should always be facing so your mass can merge with you...like a snake...when the head moves the tail follows. If you get turned around or off center to where your not facing....a technique like whisking hand can be utilize to regain the center line an recompose your structure...contact points from my experience i assume you mean from the bridge anything else is hit or landed strike...contact points depend on the range or gap...One range is wrist...the other is beyond the elbow where you have the best control for jamming and barring...At the wrist pulling and jerking is best...At the elbow jamming, pushing and barring is best...of course you can use both at any range...for me personally i find when sparring what i mentioned to be the best range against non-wing chun fighters.

Gate theory...Well we break it down early on into techniques best utilize for defending the gates. One theory you disagree with will be the Fak Sau/Bil Sau...the other will be the outside jut sau...anyway...there are others...But basically these are what i use to set up the control. As for the box theory...i go by centerline and gate theory...We train to enter our opponents gates or doors...the doors lead to center line...At any rate...We train to protect or gates and centerline....personally i see Tan Sao, Bong Sau and Pak Sao among others best for protecting the center line from around your lower dan tien. I see Low Gan Sao best for protecting the lower gates....I see Gum sau and Jum sau for protecting the centerline around your middle dan tien...of course you have high techniques of each like bil or bong for the above your upper dan tien. But each technique is train vigourously until you get use to it instinctively defending in that fashion different ranges and levels of attack. But in the same breath as you defend you time your opponent so you can enter and take his centerline and destroy his balance and structure....

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    That's fine, so we half-agree on what jut sau is..
    I say that because it seems to me like you are calling 2 very different actions the same technique (one is jut sau and one is laap sau I say you are incorrectly labeling as also being jut sau). What is your definition of laap sau, and how does it differ from jut sau?

Also to get into the real meat of things and away from 'technique' thinking, what WCK concepts or ideas are behind each one and what makes the 2 technques different? For me, things like gate theory, facing, leverage points, contact points, box theories etc come to mind, but I'm curious what in WCK dictates the usages of the 2 different techniques for you?

Oh my.. IMO you would do yourself a BIG favor by distancing yourself from that 'clown'. I wouldn't view call of anything stan does in his clips as 'wing chun'. First clue is he's bridging with jut sau in the first place, and far the correct proper range the tool typically operates in. heck, he's even bridging outside of bridging range! Ahhh, not worth talking about any more really..
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"