Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yuen Kay San - Bridge from the outside

Yuen Kay San - Bridge from the outside

The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

What do we think about what??? I couldn't even tell what you think that clip was supposed to be trying to show, or the point of posting it up. All I saw was a lot of hand chasing and grabbing, poor 'attacks' with no skill challenge, bad facing, no structure, etc....

This is a clear example of another thread where you give no opinion/views of your own, ask a very general question and are not clear about what you are even looking for in the way of a discussion...
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 10-09-2012 at 10:52 AM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Arrow

I gotta agree with JPinaz in regards to having no clue as to what you're trying to show us through the video. I know the title of the thread is "bridge from the outside," but "bridging from the outside" is extremely vague and a common Ving Tsun concept in my opinion. What do i think of the video? It's a guy doing expressing his Ving Tsun using some of the many many ways of "bridging from the outside." It's hard to say anything else because the guy doing the techniques is obviously not putting in much effort and neither is his partner. Not saying the guy is bad or cant kick ass, but verall, to my limited perspective, it's a video of a teacher or older brother showing his junior(s) something and thus he has no need to "prove" himself.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Im sorry i posted the video to show how the guy which is using Maninland Wing Chun is using techniques to control the other guy...Is he chasing hands or intercepting hands?

I see it as intercepting...But also its very much a basic drill...Also you see him grabbing an pulling the guy with seize the sparrow technique a few times!

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    What do we think about what??? I couldn't even tell what you think that clip was supposed to be trying to show, or the point of posting it up. All I saw was a lot of hand chasing and grabbing, poor 'attacks' with no skill challenge, bad facing, no structure, etc....

This is a clear example of another thread where you give no opinion/views of your own, ask a very general question and are not clear about what you are even looking for in the way of a discussion...
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post
    I gotta agree with JPinaz in regards to having no clue as to what you're trying to show us through the video. I know the title of the thread is "bridge from the outside," but "bridging from the outside" is extremely vague and a common Ving Tsun concept in my opinion. What do i think of the video? It's a guy doing expressing his Ving Tsun using some of the many many ways of "bridging from the outside." It's hard to say anything else because the guy doing the techniques is obviously not putting in much effort and neither is his partner. Not saying the guy is bad or cant kick ass, but verall, to my limited perspective, it's a video of a teacher or older brother showing his junior(s) something and thus he has no need to "prove" himself.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Im sorry i posted the video to show how the guy which is using Maninland Wing Chun is using techniques to control the other guy...Is he chasing hands or intercepting hands?

I see it as intercepting...But also its very much a basic drill...Also you see him grabbing an pulling the guy with seize the sparrow technique a few times!
    well to be honest, I'm not sure what his intention is but my guess is that he's intercepting by moving forward though it can look like chasing since there's no actual forward intent because the partner is moving slowly and in compliance. I'm not familiar with the term "sparrow technique" but to me, it seems like he follows the basic "roads" of making contact outside the bridge by moving his hands forward and then using either some variation of lop-da or a combination of any technique that puts some pressure or at least checks the kiu while hitting.

it does look strange sometimes, but i figure that's just because the guy is doing whatever technique he wants and perhaps is trying to show some sort of emphasis on the part where he pins the lower hand to the chest area and uses that to move into a lop-da (if i was seeing that correctly). But that's my take on it.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

I would agree, he's 'using techniques' to be sure!
    But as Eternal already mentioned, there appears to be no idea of fwd intent at all (along with the improper facing, poor usage of range, etc that I mentioned earlier) which tells me there is no real idea of WC's primary concept of centerline being implied which lead to my comment of chasing hands.

As for controlling, I would disagree. He is moving around a guy that isn't even trying to fight back (for demo puproses I hope!), so it's not really showing much imo. And you'd think he would look a little better against the super compliant parnter you see in the clip, even if he's just playing around.

Not sure what the sparrow technique is either, but I'd agree this appears to be very basic WC. Whether that is intentional or not I have no clue, but I hope so for thier sake!

My quesiton is, what do YOU think of the clip? Do you think this is representive of good drilling of WC concepts?
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 10-09-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

I don't know what the YKS guy was really doing in that video - we don't speak the language it was recorded in.

It was some kind of demo. I'm guessing some kind of concept demo - as they weren't really drilling anything. It looked like a blend between a self-defense one-step technique and a real slow version of basic chi sau. All that was happening is one guy was turning his horse 90 degrees to influence the bridge contact.

Could it be he is showing the concept of intercepting long range on the bridge and turning the horse to bring your distance into WCK range? Possibly. But again we don't know. Someone would have to translate what they are saying to know. And his partner wasn't helping standing in YJKYM and throwing compliant punches with no energy.

So all I can really say about it is it is "some YKS guy demoing something".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A bridge too far!

Red face

Ok, may be the teacher there was showing some specific concepts and not focused on the most fundamentally important issues. I am guilty of that often.

However, my two pet hates: chasing hands and controlling someone at the wrist/hand/first gate. If you want to stop the opponent, control at least the second gate or elbow; chase hands and you will always be a step behind your opponent. Every move is an attack.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

my Mistake...I said sparrow...I meant white crane...sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post
    well to be honest, I'm not sure what his intention is but my guess is that he's intercepting by moving forward though it can look like chasing since there's no actual forward intent because the partner is moving slowly and in compliance. I'm not familiar with the term "sparrow technique" but to me, it seems like he follows the basic "roads" of making contact outside the bridge by moving his hands forward and then using either some variation of lop-da or a combination of any technique that puts some pressure or at least checks the kiu while hitting.

it does look strange sometimes, but i figure that's just because the guy is doing whatever technique he wants and perhaps is trying to show some sort of emphasis on the part where he pins the lower hand to the chest area and uses that to move into a lop-da (if i was seeing that correctly). But that's my take on it.

my Mistake...I said sparrow...I meant white crane...sorry!
    Mistakes happen, but this is just as confusing. What does "grabbing an pulling the guy with seize the white crane technique a few times" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A bridge too far!
    Great Movie!!
    And map in BF2 MC
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Mistakes happen, but this is just as confusing. What does "grabbing an pulling the guy with seize the white crane technique a few times" mean?
    White Crane seizes fox is one YKS signature techniques...

He is simply showing a possible application and self defense technique against various slow attacks so you can practice it with a partner an get use to the motion!

0.17 is basically showing how to bridge when your opponent attacks basically meeting his attack thus closing the gap before he has a chance to launch his second strike then utilize chi sau senstivity to redirect his energy an destroy/sink his bridge so his structure is compromise!

2:01 is the technique white crane seizes fox...basically its suppose to be sweep technique where you pull your opponent an kick his lead leg while he stumbling forward...Basically its to knock one opponent down on the ground so you can attack another! although one can use it to finish a solidary opponent too once on the ground you can kick em while they down or ground and pound!

White Crane seizes fox is one YKS signature techniques...

He is simply showing a possible application and self defense technique against various slow attacks so you can practice it with a partner an get use to the motion!

0.17 is basically showing how to bridge when your opponent attacks basically meeting his attack thus closing the gap before he has a chance to launch his second strike then utilize chi sau senstivity to redirect his energy an destroy/sink his bridge so his structure is compromise!

2:01 is the technique white crane seizes fox...basically its suppose to be sweep technique where you pull your opponent an kick his lead leg while he stumbling forward...Basically its to knock one opponent down on the ground so you can attack another! although one can use it to finish a solidary opponent too once on the ground you can kick em while they down or ground and pound!
    You CANNOT control an opponent at the wrist, and leave your body vulnerable to his elbows! I keep seeing all the gaps the opponent can charge in with the elbows. In controlled demos the opponent may not want to get aggressive nor commit. In a real fight your opponent is going to charge in and want to finish you. He WILL use his elbows, full forced elbows.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    You CANNOT control an opponent at the wrist, and leave your body vulnerable to his elbows! I keep seeing all the gaps the opponent can charge in with the elbows. In controlled demos the opponent may not want to get aggressive nor commit. In a real fight your opponent is going to charge in and want to finish you. He WILL use his elbows, full forced elbows.
    You can control at the wrist but the best control in wing chun is always at the elbow.