Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Documentary: Ancient Aliens Debunked

I'm lazy... anyone find information debunking this?

http://daveearley.hubpages.com/hub/A...-in-Tiahuanaco
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post

The very first portion of the documentary is on Puma Punku.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostexorcist View Post
    The very first portion of the documentary is on Puma Punku.
    I told you I'm lazy.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

I saw enough of one episode to know that I don't trust anything offered by that show. Dunno if what you posted is what I saw, but what I saw was WEAK. Tons of assumptions and some serious cherry picking. I ****ing HATE publication bias. As long as people keep watching this crap the media will keep spewing it out. This kind of disinformation is funny today, but could have serious consequences for the future. Just look at all the dumb lil things people believe that are NOT true but were presented as truth at some point.

Ben Goldacre sums this all up beautifully in his work on publication bias. Yeah, he's centered on the medical industry, but it holds weight across the board.

I told you I'm lazy.
    Basically, archaeologists know that the site was built using technology readily available to the people of that time, including stone hammers and mixed alloy chisels. The straight lines that the show claims were produced by lasers or diamond tipped saws were actually produced by said chisels. The rock is also not granite like they claim in the show.

The natives were just really smart when it came to math and astronomy.

We went thru this with the Egyptians not too long ago. They too were great mathematicians and astronomers. Because of their everchanging sandy landscape they invented surveying. Their calendars are very accurate, even today. But does that mean they had help from aliens because they were just dumb natives from waaay back in the day? That would be naive. It is TOTALLY possible for humans to map some stars that are significant to them and it is very possible that they where able to build according to their beliefs and create star charts on the ground. If they could draw it out on paper, why not build it into the design of an important city? This is admirable, but not amazing.

Keep in mind, it is only a near perfect match when you ignore certain factors. As a whole, not so much. You can see what they were trying to do tho. Pretty admirable considering what it would have taken to do it. also pretty sad when you think of the mass oppression involved in such a massive undertaking with man power.
    Last edited by Syn7; 10-11-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Greetings,

Anything with Eric Von Daniken is suspect. If you are hip to physical cues that are displayed when people are lying the show tires quickly. The show "Ancient Aliens" appears to be set up in order to be to be discredited.

Is there extraterrestrial life? Yes.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 10-11-2012 at 06:39 PM.

That writing as careless as von Däniken's, whose principal thesis is that our ancestors were dummies, should be so popular is a sober commentary on the credulousness and despair of our times. But the idea that beings from elsewhere will save us from ourselves is a very dangerous doctrine - akin to that of the quack doctor whose ministrations prevent the patient from seeing a physician competent to help him and perhaps to cure his disease.

—Carl Sagan

I also hope for the continuing popularity of books like Chariots of the Gods? in high school and college logic courses, as object lessons in sloppy thinking. I know of no recent books so riddled with logical and factual errors as the works of von Däniken.

—Carl Sagan

Dude is a fraud. Maybe not on purpose, maybe he is just that dumb, but either way he is a fraud. A convicted one at that.

This is what happens when Hypothesis becomes more important than Conclusion. He had an idea and he now cherry picks to prove that idea. Not very different from what Big Pharma does to get their drugs on the market.
    Last edited by Syn7; 10-11-2012 at 08:50 PM.

My cultural experience has been whenever Anglo Western peoples see such technological skills in the non Western space (sphere), they always attribute them to aliens. I wonder why? They are so in awe that these 'primitives' have such a knowledge or technology that they assume it cannot have come from that 'primitive space'. It is amusing but interesting!

Wow. Pretty limited experience, huh!

Not trying to be a d1ck, but how are you gonna pigeon hole a whole culture based on a very small percentage? Most academics think these people are insane and full of bias. Nothing has done more to show the ingenuity of man than the scientific method. NOTHING ....... PERIOD!

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

Is there extraterrestrial life? Yes.

mickey
    The Drake Equation.

N = R^{\ast} \cdot f_p \cdot n_e \cdot f_{\ell} \cdot f_i \cdot f_c \cdot L

where:

N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible;

and

R* = the average rate of star formation per year in our galaxy
    fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets
    ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
    fℓ = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point
    fi = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life
    fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
    L = the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space[5]

It goes without saying that there is life all throughout our universe.

The question is, is there life that is technologically advanced enough to travel light years to us only to mess around in our skies or crash in our deserts and get covered up by various governments who think the whole population will panic.

utter rot. laughable. And cringe worthy when old men get all cantankerous about it despite not having a shred of evidence they believe and want you to believe to.

That's the part that is ridiculous and indicative of the individuals mind to need validation for their belief. Probably how religion got founded. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    That's the part that is ridiculous and indicative of the individuals mind to need validation for their belief. Probably how religion got founded. lol
    ...the idea that beings from elsewhere will save us from ourselves is a very dangerous doctrine...
    —Carl Sagan

Agreed....!!!