Thread: Hung Gar schools in Sydney?

Hung Gar schools in Sydney?

Hi all,

Please list any Hung Gar schools you know of in Sydney, Australia please.

I know they is one , Joseph Awad's School, near Parramatta.

Any other closer into Sydney?

Thanks

The only one I found was Joseph's. There's an individual who is a part of the Chin Woo organisation that teaches or was teaching in Auburn. Don't know how formal that is though.

Other than that, I know of a few people who have knowledge of Hung Kuen but it may not be their primary art.

Best of luck in your search. Please ask if you need any further info.

Hi there,

I don't know how far from you this group is, but here is another option:

http://www.youtube.com/user/OscarMaH...ow=grid&view=0

All the best.

Oscar Ma is back in Hongkong...

Was he just visiting, or did he live there and move back to HK?

Quote Originally Posted by Gowgee View Post
    Was he just visiting, or did he live there and move back to HK?
    he went there for studies when he finished he moved back to HK
    His father is quiet known in HK; Ma Kok Fu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvEwq-_JNqo
    Last edited by HungKuenH; 10-16-2012 at 12:52 AM.

Thanks guys.

I had thought there would of been more schools given it's a common style.

Ma Kwok Fu is a really nice guy in Hong Kong.

A great welder and structual engineer.

Hi TLJ,

I may be able to assist. PM me when you have time.

hey mate, i def recommend joeseph if you want to learn hung gar. he is the real deal, a friend i grew up with has been with him for about 15yrs now. He also has a lot of knowledge with internal/chi kung in both martial & healing. i have experienced his healing hand. cause of this i think his hung gar is more internal/flowing then the usual hung kwoon, but don't take that in meaning his hung isn't aggressive/strong. If you want to learn more then just the movements forms go try out Joesephs hung, he takes you deep into the applications, internal & intent of the tiger/animals.

the style has some excellent strength building exercises, when i trained for a short time there it's probably the strongest i've been. if you follow his training & train everyday you will love the strength it builds, a lot of iron body exercises & chi building.

he is teaching from his home in greystanes, here's the website: http://www.hunggar-chigong.com/

there's a short vid on there, doesn't do him justice imo though. you have to feel the power of hung its hard to judge on video.

one good thing with joe is he wont let you cruz through just learning forms, you must follow the program to advance which means training hard. this means he doesn't have many students as most want it easy. The only negative i would say is there was no full contact sparring that i saw (maybe/hopefully there is now) but that is the case with 99% of kung fu unfortunately. the students that have learnt or learning the tiger form all have awesome power, iron body/arms & develop the tiger intent. my mate did use it to defend himself successfully on the street, don't understand why more KF schools don't spar? at least have the option for students that want to.

let us know how you go? what area are you in? i've got back in shape this year & looking to get back into martial arts again but want to find a school that spars, maybe CLF as i've done a bit before or muay thai. i will contact joe as i want to get back into some chi kung & hopefully learn some hung in the future.

have you trained any other styles?

Hi All,

Wondering if any new Hung Gar Schools/Teachers have opened up, apart from the one listed previously?
    Supporter: The Australasian Martial Arts & Self Defence Forums - http://www.OzMAForums.com