Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sanjuro

Sanjuro

Just wondering if you ever figured out your martial arts situation. I believe you were in the same boat as me with your teacher leaving town. Did you take up a new one or are you just practicing on your own now?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Just wondering if you ever figured out your martial arts situation. I believe you were in the same boat as me with your teacher leaving town. Did you take up a new one or are you just practicing on your own now?
    My Hung Kuen teacher went back to Macao and his brother (SPM) followed suit a bit after that.
    They both told me that, in short, there wasn't much more they could teach me BUT there was still more I needed to learn.
    In short, I am doing what is left of any MA when they have put over 30 years into MA:
    Training for the pure enjoyment of it AND "unlocking" the "secrets" of the MA in the ONLY way they can be unlocked: Hard work in training and hard contact in sparring

The issue is that, because I suffer from Meniere's disease I can't do hard contact sparring much, if at all, which makes things a bit tricky of course.
    Luckily the decades of hard sparring and full contact competitions have given me a good idea of what works and what doesn't and how "real fighting" VS trained fighters tends to go.
    Years of bouncing and security work and my time in the military has given me the experience I need to understand fighting "outside the ring".

Yet, I miss my good hard sparring sessions but such is life.

So, I am meeting up once a month with the my fellow students for some "fine tuning" and some sparring, I am training 4-5 times a week either on my own or going to the local Judo club for some rolling.
    The unfortunate part is that, I do tend to get bouts of vertigo after Judo too ( getting thrown and all that) so I had to cut down on it and will, probably, have to stop that too if they get worse.

Sucks... but when life gives you lemons, you kick life in the nads and rub those lemons in its eyes !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Sucks... but when life gives you lemons, you kick life in the nads and rub those lemons in its eyes !!
    when life give u lemons, eat them.

how is teaching your own style working out?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    When life gives you lemons, grab some tequilla!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    when life give u lemons, eat them.

how is teaching your own style working out?
    Not teaching it yet, still working on it, LOL !
    Typically, anyone I start of teaching they basically learn "mma" and for most, that is more than enough.
    Most guys don't even wanna bother with the "exotic" stuff.
    Sure they get impressed with things like "fa jing" and "force multipliers" and such, but the time to put into them, not so much.
    The vast majority are content with "mma" and Strength training.
    Of the few guys I meet up with from my old hung kuen and SPM teachers, we tend to focus on partner training and sparring and seeing what the others have been working on since the last time we got together.
    Since they all have prior MA training too and we have been training together for the last few years, there isn't much to pass on to them that hasn't been passed on.
    Of course there is always something I hold back

One of the first lessons I learned my my various teachers is that, you never hold back what must be taught BUT you never give out what is learned.

The issue is that, because I suffer from Meniere's disease
    I do tend to get bouts of vertigo
    there are some very skiled people in ur area who might b able to help that (in fact, ur former bouncer buddy from Zanzibar is now an osteopath, u shd look him up...)

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    When life gives you lemons, grab some tequilla!
    When your wife gives you melons, you fondle them.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    there are some very skiled people in ur area who might b able to help that (in fact, ur former bouncer buddy from Zanzibar is now an osteopath, u shd look him up...)
    Been to a couple already, tried some natural remedies and such.
    Supposedly the years of getting hit in the head hasn't helped my case.
    Go figure !

Blog Entries
    ..snip...
    Since they all have prior MA training too and we have been training together for the last few years, there isn't much to pass on to them that hasn't been passed on.
    Of course there is always something I hold back

One of the first lessons I learned my my various teachers is that, you never hold back what must be taught BUT you never give out what is learned.
    Very interesting Sanjuro,

I've been pondering that last sentence for a few minutes now.

The modern crowd will argue "No, you must reveal everything in order to make it known and therefore constantly raise the bar".

Others may argue if you hold back what is learned, you weaken the arts. They say that's the reason for so much Chop Suey Kung Fu that can't fight. I.E, people teaching after only taking some seminars or only learn a couple of years. B.S. if a dude was dedicated enough and also had self respect, he'd wait till he had a decent level of skill prior to teaching.

But on the flip side, in the old days prior to video and being able to record / view and research... you could easily use the same methodology to beat all your opponents.

Now you have the "I just want to learn off Youtube crowd" and skip the hard work. Yeah, just put on youtube all your hard work so I can eat popcorn and judge you.

Still I can't get that quote of yours out of my mind... It can be thought of simply or it can get real complicated if you let it.
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
    Very interesting Sanjuro,

I've been pondering that last sentence for a few minutes now.

The modern crowd will argue "No, you must reveal everything in order to make it known and therefore constantly raise the bar".

Others may argue if you hold back what is learned, you weaken the arts. They say that's the reason for so much Chop Suey Kung Fu that can't fight. I.E, people teaching after only taking some seminars or only learn a couple of years. B.S. if a dude was dedicated enough and also had self respect, he'd wait till he had a decent level of skill prior to teaching.

But on the flip side, in the old days prior to video and being able to record / view and research... you could easily use the same methodology to beat all your opponents.

Now you have the "I just want to learn off Youtube crowd" and skip the hard work. Yeah, just put on youtube all your hard work so I can eat popcorn and judge you.

Still I can't get that quote of yours out of my mind... It can be thought of simply or it can get real complicated if you let it.

Fact is dude, the "secrets" of any MA can't be taught, they must be learned.
    We teach the basics, we point the finger and we help them find the path BUT walking it and learning it, is up to them.
    I hold back what, in reality, can't be taught and can only be learned.
    It's not like I am holding back some uber secret killing move ( which I am of course ).
    Fact is that, we one never knows when student, friend or even family may become an enemy, an opponent.
    Still, nothing I hold back CAN'T be learned by someone that I have already shown the path to.

IN short, and the number one secret in EVERY MA:
    All things become clear in a fight.

Blog Entries
    AHA!, "Uber secret move eh"???

It's just like I keep asking Gene to teach the secret fencing stroke that has "NO Counter".

But for some reason he'll get all real world on ya and say that no such technique exists. That's the mantra for most of the fencing world.

Seriously, I think Gene went all Rocky and Stabbed a few hundred Cows at meat factory once and gained enlightenment.

Oh yeah, he's holding back.
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Gene trained with cows. but the Uber secret timing came from this cow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyAniSKkAiE
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
    AHA!, "Uber secret move eh"???

It's just like I keep asking Gene to teach the secret fencing stroke that has "NO Counter".

But for some reason he'll get all real world on ya and say that no such technique exists. That's the mantra for most of the fencing world.

Seriously, I think Gene went all Rocky and Stabbed a few hundred Cows at meat factory once and gained enlightenment.

Oh yeah, he's holding back.
    Well, every single MA has a move that they "guard" and I don't think that will ever change.
    Granted they tend to be base of basics but what makes then "unique" is that they have been found to work VIA the only true place where ANYTHING can be found to work - the "battle ground".
    You don't give up that kind of stuff easily.

Hold back? moi?

I don't really see it as holding back per se. It's more like giving out what a student is really capable of absorbing. If you give out more than they can hold, it's like that ol' 'teach a pig to sing' situation. I learned that the hard way, wasted a lot of time and annoyed a lot of pigs. In fact, I'm grappling with it now with one of my classmates. He's young, just entering his teens and already taller than me - great reach, good physical strength and speed, but a little too ADD for Shaolin Kung Fu. Honestly, he'd be much better suited for TKD. My coach now is old skool in that he doesn't teach you anything until he sees your putting out on the floor. So that kid doesn't get many lessons as he's seldom checked in, and even when he is paying attention, he doesn't absorb it. I watched his last lesson - it was only one simple concept to engage the hips in a strike - but he totally missed it. So my coach doesn't waste his time.

As for the 'universal parry', it was marketing, something fencing masters would sell to fops who had got themselves stuck in a duel back in the day. You can find them in old fencing texts. They are usually a simple effective combination, like a take in high prime to a circular carte. But like any pre-programed combo, it can be penetrated. I wouldn't bother teaching it to you, shidi Subatai. Are you still even practicing sword? (I mean real swords, a full yard of steel, not those sawed-off meat cleavers. )

I categorically deny any involvement with cows.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

This fish oil would make sense because I usually take them but recently ran out and just started taking them again. I take them for my joints because of the weightlifting I do. Wasn't aware they are an NSAID too.

I'll give your other suggestions a try. Thanks dale.

Sanjuro, I KNEW you were going to chime in lol
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb