Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with roundhouse kicks???

What's the deal with roundhouse kicks???

Here's one that's bothered me for years...where is the roundhouse kick in all the old forms? The roundhouse is one of the most basic kicks in practically every striking style...and it is usually drilled and used pretty aggressively in most Asian martial arts.

The problem is that you never see roundhouse kicks in, pre-Communist forms, or in classical Okinawan Karate katas either. I'm sure someone will come up with some example, (maybe in Choy Lay Fut forms, not sure), but the question remains. If the roundhouse is such an important kick, why isn't it all over in the old forms?

Obviously the kick was utilized in TCMA, it's fundamental in Sanda; and it's the most natural, instinctive kick there is, besides the front kick. (Even untrained children will use some variation of a roundhouse kick on each other.)

The same phenomenon exists in classical Okinawan Karate. The roundhouse kick is drilled at every dojo out there, but not to be found in any traditional, (we'll say pre-WWII,) katas. This may be because most the classical Karate material is derived from Fujian Kung Fu systems, but why is the roundhouse so important to those arts today?

Then we have the different styles of roundhouses. The two most common variations are the snapping roundhouse, where the instep is used for the kick and the leg is rechambered after kicking, (what I call the Korean roundhouse,) and the kick with the shin; with follow through and no rechambering, (the Thai roundhouse.) I've trained under several different senseis and shifus and have learned both those styles of kicking, depending on the teacher, not the style.

Besides those, there is also the roundhouse with the ball of the foot; and a cutting roundhouse on a 45 degree angle with the heel. Of course there's tons of subtle differences in the "proper" execution, school to school, but we won't worry about the technical stuff.

I'm curious as to which kick you learned as the roundhouse. (I'm sure many of you train more than one version, but there's probably one style your school used day in and day out.)

I was told that the "traditional" Okinawan roundhouse kick, was with the ball of the foot, to the knee. In spite of the fact that 90% of Karateka, use the snapping roundhouse with the instep. I think this may be correct, (even though you don't see the other roundhouse in the old katas either.)

Now my theory. I think Karate borrowed the "Korean" roundhouse from Tae Kwon Do. I also think most of the early Chinese MA schools in the States; (and probably the Hong Kong schools,) did the same thing. Tae Kwon Do spread more rapidly than any other MA, due to their aggressive, world-wide, franchising. The "Korean" roundhouse was also popular in the early MA movies.

I think the roundhouse has always been around in TCMA, in various incarnations, but has risen considerably in importance since the '60's due to the reasons above.

Or maybe it was invented by Chuck Norris and he delivered each variation to the respective disciplines, while keeping the most powerful for himself.

Muay Thai had its version of the roundhouse kick, probably for centuries.

I heard somewhere that the Japanese roundhouse kick (mawashi-geri) was developed by Gigo(?) Funakoshi, son of Shotokan founder, Gichin. Supposedly, he designed it as a variation of the Mae-Geri (front kick), to enable one to land it at a different angle, in kumite (free-sparring). This was with the ball of the foot. Gigo supposedly liked the sporting/competitive aspect, which his father disapproved of. I don't think that Gichin himself ever practiced the roundhouse kick. Gigo died sometime in the mid-to-late '40s, I believe. He was also responsible for making Shotokan's stances wider/deeper, the kicks higher, and the movements more expansive. Basically, making it as it's seen today.

For most MA, I think the instep roundhouse is a more recent development, maybe becoming more commonly practiced in the 1960s or so.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 10-10-2012 at 03:59 PM.

When I did Shorinji Kempo, we did the chambered ball of the foot roundhouse kick to the body and a kind of shin kick to the leg when in close. I'm not sure if the shin kick was part of the art though, or whether some high level practitioners that did Thai boxing threw it in as part of the mix.

I'm more familiar with this kind of motion in Shaolin as the lihe tui, a kind of full leg swing from the ground which I guess can use any part of the lower leg to connect with, or the side of the heel/foot (maybe like the okinawan karate inward crescent kick?) but Shaolin contains a whole lot of different kinds of kicks, many of which I haven't encountered yet. I wouldn't be surprised if there are 'roundhouse' kicks with the toes in there somewhere too.

There was a time in history when people made a living with their fighting prowess. It also seemed to be a practice in safety too. Your very life would usually depend on whether or not you lost or won a fight. Fancy high kicks and kicks that required one to use lots of dance skill and coordination were probably avoided. Only in more modern times have such kicks been developed, and for the most part it is for show and tell. TV and movies you know.
    Jackie Lee

It does appear, but not much, not in old forms.

Why? When would you use it? Sure I know it is used in competition, but realistically it is always trumped by a kick to the nuts. To do it you have to lean your body and open your groin, even when you kick low it is simply too much risk for too little reward. It is possible but rare to finish someone with a roundhouse to the knee, much easier to finish with a snap to the groin.

Generally Kung fu uses LiHe Tui, the cresent kick, can be done with the back straight and no telegraphing. It can be used with simultaneous strike of the hand. Often for example use the ball of the foot to kick upwards into your opponents kidneys while simultaneously striking 'Guan Er' with the opposite hand (off hand covers groin, or grabs opponents arm), (Guan Er is a cupped hand slap to the ear). If you are wearing 'TiSiNiuXie' (kick bull to death shoes) then just strike with the spike.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 10-10-2012 at 05:35 PM.

The bottom line

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    realistically it is always trumped by a kick to the nuts.
    Ain't everything?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Mawashi

Round house is a derivationof the front kick it was developed in Japan , at the Tokyo University along with the Lower stances not by Gigo but by the teacher there named / Shoot cant remember. However the art of Tae Kwion do as taught as a National past time derives from Tae Gyun the trad Koreanart. And Shotokan and the Kata are derived from the Heian forms taught by Gichin Funakoshi. That is where the RH kick originated as it is thrown in Okinawan and Japanese arts. Ie the ball of the foot snapping style. The follow through kickis Thai and the invert Kick derives from Savat and is also well known in Tang Lang styles. I will think of the mans name and let you know KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Correct on the karate round house.Pre TKD.TKD forms got started when Gen Choi who had studied in Japan
    adapted tkd from shotokan... changing some key things.

Wing chun gung fu has a roundhouse kick but it uses the top of the instep.

Well I've certainly seen the "Karate" or "TKD" roundhouse used in many Chinese arts as well. I've also seen pictures from the '20's of Shaolin practitioners kicking bags with the roundhouse, using the shin. I don't believe the concept is new at all, just the amount of importance placed on it.

As to the practicality, a high roundhouse is hard to land and leaves you open, I've never liked it that much, but a low roundhouse is a devastating street fighting technique. Sure, the kick to the balls is the end all best technique, no argument there, but a shin to the thigh is very high probability, often easy to land on a fighter with experience and extremely easy on an untrained fighter. One solid roundhouse to the thigh by a conditioned shin can easily end the fight, the instep can also do a number on the leg. The low roundhouse is extremely practical and I'm sure this was known to old TCMA practitioners, since Iron Leg training was fairly common.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Ain't everything?
    Unfortunately it is not as effective as one would think in an adrenaline filled battle. Especially if it's for real, life or death.

When somebody accidentally knocks you in the sac, you have that quick delay then the OUCH comes. You walk it off or whatever. It hurts like a motherfukcer. But when it's in a real fight, you can fight through it cause you have to. That's not to say it doesn't work, or is a bad move. It's just not an end all solution to any violence like some people seem to think. Like forms that end with a downside backfist to the sac? Seriously? That's your end move? I find it most effective in the middle of a combo. More of a distraction than a dropper. It sets up knees and uppercut type punches. Solar plexus is a better non lethal stopper. And you aren't potentially ending a bloodline I've seen more people drop from being winded than nutsacked, during a fight that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Correct on the karate round house.Pre TKD.TKD forms got started when Gen Choi who had studied in Japan
    adapted tkd from shotokan... changing some key things.

Wing chun gung fu has a roundhouse kick but it uses the top of the instep.
    By the way, I'm well aware Karate predates TKD, but as I said you never see the roundhouse in the old katas, but you see them in TKD forms. Hence my theory of the younger art influencing the older ones...kind of like the back and forth influence between Dylan and the Beatles...just a theory though.....
    Last edited by Kellen Bassette; 10-10-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: to put a qoute in

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Unfortunately it is not as effective as one would think in an adrenaline filled battle. Especially if it's for real, life or death.

When somebody accidentally knocks you in the sac, you have that quick delay then the OUCH comes. You walk it off or whatever. It hurts like a motherfukcer. But when it's in a real fight, you can fight through it cause you have to. That's not to say it doesn't work, or is a bad move. It's just not an end all solution to any violence like some people seem to think. Like forms that end with a downside backfist to the sac? Seriously? That's your end move? I find it most effective in the middle of a combo. More of a distraction than a dropper. It sets up knees and uppercut type punches. Solar plexus is a better non lethal stopper. And you aren't potentially ending a bloodline I've seen more people drop from being winded than nutsacked, during a fight that is.
    You shouldn't stop because you hit them in the balls. You then hit them again somewhere else.

Right on about the backfist to the groin, awesome for setting up a serious strike but can't be relied on alone...an open backhand slap to the nuts works real well for this too...easy to slip in and just enough distraction for the cross, palm or elbow.

Solar Plexus is beautiful, often easier to hit the ribs or kidneys with a similar, satisfying effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Here's one that's bothered me for years...where is the roundhouse kick in all the old forms? The roundhouse is one of the most basic kicks in practically every striking style...and it is usually drilled and used pretty aggressively in most Asian martial arts.

The problem is that you never see roundhouse kicks in, pre-Communist forms, or in classical Okinawan Karate katas either. I'm sure someone will come up with some example, (maybe in Choy Lay Fut forms, not sure), but the question remains. If the roundhouse is such an important kick, why isn't it all over in the old forms?

Obviously the kick was utilized in TCMA, it's fundamental in Sanda; and it's the most natural, instinctive kick there is, besides the front kick. (Even untrained children will use some variation of a roundhouse kick on each other.)

The same phenomenon exists in classical Okinawan Karate. The roundhouse kick is drilled at every dojo out there, but not to be found in any traditional, (we'll say pre-WWII,) katas. This may be because most the classical Karate material is derived from Fujian Kung Fu systems, but why is the roundhouse so important to those arts today?

Then we have the different styles of roundhouses. The two most common variations are the snapping roundhouse, where the instep is used for the kick and the leg is rechambered after kicking, (what I call the Korean roundhouse,) and the kick with the shin; with follow through and no rechambering, (the Thai roundhouse.) I've trained under several different senseis and shifus and have learned both those styles of kicking, depending on the teacher, not the style.

Besides those, there is also the roundhouse with the ball of the foot; and a cutting roundhouse on a 45 degree angle with the heel. Of course there's tons of subtle differences in the "proper" execution, school to school, but we won't worry about the technical stuff.

I'm curious as to which kick you learned as the roundhouse. (I'm sure many of you train more than one version, but there's probably one style your school used day in and day out.)

I was told that the "traditional" Okinawan roundhouse kick, was with the ball of the foot, to the knee. In spite of the fact that 90% of Karateka, use the snapping roundhouse with the instep. I think this may be correct, (even though you don't see the other roundhouse in the old katas either.)

Now my theory. I think Karate borrowed the "Korean" roundhouse from Tae Kwon Do. I also think most of the early Chinese MA schools in the States; (and probably the Hong Kong schools,) did the same thing. Tae Kwon Do spread more rapidly than any other MA, due to their aggressive, world-wide, franchising. The "Korean" roundhouse was also popular in the early MA movies.

I think the roundhouse has always been around in TCMA, in various incarnations, but has risen considerably in importance since the '60's due to the reasons above.

Or maybe it was invented by Chuck Norris and he delivered each variation to the respective disciplines, while keeping the most powerful for himself.
    hy

wrassling

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    You shouldn't stop because you hit them in the balls. You then hit them again somewhere else.

Right on about the backfist to the groin, awesome for setting up a serious strike but can't be relied on alone...an open backhand slap to the nuts works real well for this too...easy to slip in and just enough distraction for the cross, palm or elbow.

Solar Plexus is beautiful, often easier to hit the ribs or kidneys with a similar, satisfying effect.
    Ever been dropped by a kick to the liver? It's a very scary feeling because you don't feel pain as much as a loss of bodily control. You're legs betray you and down you go. It sucks!

Lo and behold! I have the answer!

You're thinking too much of empty handed styles only. Keep in mind that up until quite recently pretty much all martial arts were either integrated weapon and hand styles, weapon primarily with some hand, or weapon only. The empty hand stuff had to assume you were fighting an armed opponent.

The roundhouse is not something you're going to go pulling against an opponent wielding a sword, or staff, or naginata, or spear, or bolo etc. even if you got close you're then in the wrong range.

In most of the older arts like Muay Boran which have roundhouse or spinning head kicks, anything above the waist basically, you are facing an empty handed opponent or using it as a last ditch attack because you're trying to be unpredictable and/or out of options. Most martial arts styles coming out of that kind of weapons integrated environment won't advocate head kicks and if they do then not as something to train often. Waist and below is the old school way of doing things so even with something like wing chun any group which has a roundhouse... It's a modern addition.