Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sanjuro

Oops. Wrong thread lol
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...SNIP...

As for the 'universal parry', it was marketing, something fencing masters would sell to fops who had got themselves stuck in a duel back in the day. You can find them in old fencing texts. They are usually a simple effective combination, like a take in high prime to a circular carte. But like any pre-programed combo, it can be penetrated. I wouldn't bother teaching it to you, shidi Subitai. Are you still even practicing sword? (I mean real swords, a full yard of steel, not those sawed-off meat cleavers. )

I categorically deny any involvement with cows.
    Actually YES big bro, I've found a love for European ie German 2 handed Long Sword or (Langschwert). I started researching the 14th century fencing master "Johannes Liechtenauer" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Liechtenauer

No full on amor though..PIPE Dream, but going over as many parries and strikes in light dry sword sparring as I can. Just getting comfortable with it. Interesting as the Germans use the High guard and now i'm looking at Italian 2 handers from the same medeviel period...they utilize a low guard at times.

It's fun because, there's also grappling with 2 handed swords. I got started with this because i'm a big fan of Mike Loades from UK. http://www.mikeloades.co.uk/cms/index.php

2 handers are awesome!

Hehe,
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

That makes me smile, shidi

Suddenly I have the mental image of you wearing a bicycle helmet bashing people with a pool noodle. I know that's not what it really looks like, but the thought of it does make me smile.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

A couple of reads for you Sub:

Medieval Swordsmanship: Illustrated Methods And Techniques by John Clements (Oct 1, 1998)

Secrets of German Medieval Swordsmanship: Sigmund Ringeck's Commentaries on Liechtenauer by Christian Henry Tobler (Mar 15, 2002)

The Secret History of the Sword: Adventures in Ancient Martial Arts by J. Christoph Amberger (Mar 1999)
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    Cool Thanks Sanjuro... Have you been into this for awhile?

Right now i've been using
    "Fighting man's Guide to German Longsword Combat" by Michael G Thomas

and Fi'ore Dei Liberi's "Sword in Two Hands"

Good reads... I'll definately chk out the books you listed.

Hey Big Bro Gene,
    Metal Swords only or at the most I plan on using Japanese Shinai..so actually for now we've just been using the Longest Straight swords we can find and doing medium to fast parries and blocks with some control.
    Similar speeds to what you'd see in a basic Foil class, only No direct stabbs to complete contact and penetration though.

There are allot of good 2 handers been sold on the market now...so I wanna upgrade. But as you've alluded to, so then would our protective gear have to upgrade.

I also have some students who've done SAS and made their own armor and have have another that make true Chain mail versions 50 - 80lbs each. Very strong, very labor intensive.

Fencing Masks and Hocky gloves only go so far...still allot of room for improvment.

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Comparing long sword to foil...

...is like comparing kwan do to butterfly sword.

Ok, not really. I just wanted to get some plugs in.

Have you looked into the nylon wasters? They are surprisingly resilient and far superior for European two-hander practice. These are available from my friend's company, Victory Fencing. If you contact him, drop my name and maybe he'll cut you a deal. Then again, maybe he'll tell you to go to hell. Yea, he's an old salle brother, and just like kung fu brothers, well, you know how it is... But I've seen these wasters and they're pretty cool.

Sparring Long Sword, Pair (Nylon Waster)
    $99.95
    Special price for a pair of our sturdy plastic practice long swords:

Finally, a much safer way to practice your swordsmanship, be it full-speed sparring, lessons, or choreography: High-Impact plastic wasters! These 1.5 hand length German-style longswords are full length and width with extra thick edges and a blunt point -- they are even somewhat flexible for some point-work. These weapons are lighter than regular 1.5 hand long swords and pretty durable. Wear the proper gear (fencing mask, padded gloves, thick jacket) and do not use without proper instruction/supervision. Really. I mean it.

Specifications: Blade length: 36", overall length: 47", Width of blade at guard: 1.75", width of guard: 9.5"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...is like comparing kwan do to butterfly sword.

Ok, not really. I just wanted to get some plugs in.

Have you looked into the nylon wasters? They are surprisingly resilient and far superior for European two-hander practice. These are available from my friend's company, Victory Fencing. If you contact him, drop my name and maybe he'll cut you a deal. Then again, maybe he'll tell you to go to hell. Yea, he's an old salle brother, and just like kung fu brothers, well, you know how it is... But I've seen these wasters and they're pretty cool.
    WOW!! Those are DOPE!!!

I'm so getting those..haha, now what's this about the special Ganja discount?

Just kidding... Question, I have no intension of chopping wood with them but do you think they're durable enough to stand up to a couple of good whacks?

You know how people can get carried away. haha.

Hey O,
    European swordsmanship is something I think I could get into. Strictly as a hobby. I have a buddy thr makes chain mail and would be down to practice with me.

Any suggestions for starting out? Books or DVDs to get first? Equipment? My sword experience is really limited to one-handers ala Filipino Kali. But, as I said it would be a fun past time. Who doesn't love Conan?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

I have yet to test a nylon waster personally

Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
    Question, I have no intension of chopping wood with them but do you think they're durable enough to stand up to a couple of good whacks?
    My friend that owns Victory was someone that I used to make swords with back at the Armoury. His name is Cole, but he responds to Yeti, and for good reason. He endorses them and he knows how to use and abuse a weapon. I trust his recommendations. When you get the scratch, give him a holla, and do drop my name as we are very good longtime friends.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Hey O,
    European swordsmanship is something I think I could get into. Strictly as a hobby.
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight, a hobby...as opposed to those of us who are two-handed sword professionals. Not much call for that kind of work nowadays.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Lmao you know what I meant!

That same friend of mine that makes chain mail is a VERY serious civil war reenactor

Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
    Cool Thanks Sanjuro... Have you been into this for awhile?
    My uncle was a "master-of-arms" in the portuguese (spanish) school of fencing.
    Long sword, long staff, rapier and dagger, he taught me them all.
    Add to that the Yagyu school of Shinkage-ryu kenjutsu.

Funny thing is that I have no formal training in TC sword arts.

Sanjuro, do you have any suggestions for someone wanting to start out?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Sanjuro, do you have any suggestions for someone wanting to start out?
    Find one of those ARMA ( the reenactment guys) or join a local fencing club.
    BUT, if you just wanna "swing for fun" LOL !, you can get yourself a couple of DVD's and a few books and read up of course.
    Getting a "practical sword" and doing some test cutting is a must if you wanna feel what it is like to actually cut with a sword.

I almost forgot !