Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marinating and Reflecting

Marinating and Reflecting

Just sitting here marinating on my kung fu learning from times past to the present. In all honesty it seems that everything I've ever desired to learn has been given to me. I have accumulated much over the years and am very humbled and thankful to those who have instructed me in the proper way. Fighting now is an obstacle that I have overcome, by that I mean Kung Fu with me is not about fighting anymore, I experienced that stage long ago.

From a young boy until now, Chinese martial arts and the science of it, I mean going beyond the style and technique has been my unyielding passion, this is what i'm supposed to be doing. If I have reached any success in Chinese martial arts it is due to the quality instructions from those I consider my teachers, without them, I would not have been able to endure.

What I would like to do now with concentrated efforts, is pass this great martial science onto the younger generation and perhaps they will be empowered with self-confidence, self-discipline, self-control while becoming their own HERO, ultimately becoming a productive member of society. When I was at the height of my kung fu learning, I frequently went to the Great Star Theater and watched classic Shaw Bros. Movies; if I went early I could watch Kwan Tak Hing play Wong Fei Hong.

Most of all I remember being introduced to Lau Gar Leung on the big screen and thought his skills were fantastic. I soon came across a article in the then, "Real Kung Fu" magazine that had a feature on Lau Sifu and the different styles he experienced, I, thought if I could just learn what he knew in my ignorance somehow my skills would elevate, I, came to learn this was not the case, what I did come to find out is success in kung fu is not by emulating, rather hard and deliberate work. When folks ask me about Tung Mo Wun Hop Kuen, I would like to state that Tung Mo Wun Hop Kuen is an inclusive system of martial application. In TMWHK, one may witness skills and concepts from different systems, the only difference now is its interwoven nature of skills providing more options of applying which gives it a unique character and flavor. Tung Mo Wun Hop is neither this nor that style, rather it is a omni thinking discipline that places emphasis more so on the individual than any of the given styles that are a part of its makeup.

This system of work is all encompassing, simply meaning my learning since the age of six, beginning at the local boys club until now has set the stage for myself to learn, absorb and now renew. This now is natural and alive for me.

The true essence of Tung Mo Wun Hop Kuen is freedom. You are free when you can exercise your skills and forget about them, all the while confident in your knowledge and abilities.
    Last edited by tungmojingjung; 10-24-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tungmojingjung View Post
    Kung Fu with me is not about fighting anymore, ...
    What's the purpose of your

- "hammer fist" if you don't intend to "knock down" everything in your striking path?
    - "foot sweep" if you don't intend to "take down" everything in your sweeping path?

I'm very interesting in people's opinion about "hammer fist" and "foot sweep" if "combat" is not your priority.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-24-2012 at 03:42 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Kung Fu is always about fighting to me.

Kung Fu with me is not about fighting anymore
    What has changed is the pop culture image of what fighting is. With the spotlight on MMA, fighting is in a cage with and audience and ring girls strutting outside. I love MMA, but that's such a narrow definition. I had to fight a guy in a river once. We were chest deep in a strong current. All the BJJ in the world wouldn't help that situation. But that's a pretty narrow definition as well. It's not like that happens to most people. It's only happened to me once and I don't foresee it happening again.

Right now, I use Kung Fu to fight off 'fat ass syndrome'. I don't want to have a fat ass so I practice. And I have to practice pretty hard because a fat ass is a formidable opponent, especially when you get into your forties.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I had to fight a guy in a river once...It's only happened to me once and I don't foresee it happening again.
    well, once you've passed the interview test for KFM Editor, why would you have to take it again?

Re:

Okay, I see I need to clarify this for some people, there was a time when I exercised kung fu for fighting and yes in deed fought I have. in that sense its not about fighting anymore because I don't have time to fight anymore, either you will do me or i'll do you is my mindset these days, i'll let the wild tigers fight, because i've been there did that already.

Kung fu hasn't been about combat since the Ming dynasty.

Blog Entries
    Right now, I use Kung Fu to fight off 'fat ass syndrome'. I don't want to have a fat ass so I practice. And I have to practice pretty hard because a fat ass is a formidable opponent, especially when you get into your forties.
    are you referring to ME? i said are you referring to ME? LOLOL.

watch who you're calling fat ass man! LOl
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    Kung fu hasn't been about combat since the Ming dynasty.
    actually and totally untrue. just a short few generations from me and my elders were using their gung fu in revolution after revolution. In america it was used over and over and is now being used in some police organizations.

sport isn't the only proof whether or not something is effective. fuk the rest.

Fan Ming Fook Ching

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, once you've passed the interview test for KFM Editor, why would you have to take it again?
    LOL. Yea, good point. I actually wrote about in Shaolin Trips: Flashback

either you will do me or i'll do you
    This statement just doesn't sit right with me.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    are you referring to ME? i said are you referring to ME? LOLOL.

watch who you're calling fat ass man! LOl
    I would never dare. You'd unleash some crazy 5 animal move which would defeat my Shaolin doH! GO GIANTS!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    I would never dare. You'd unleash some crazy 5 animal move which would defeat my Shaolin doH! GO GIANTS!

actually and totally untrue. just a short few generations from me and my elders were using their gung fu in revolution after revolution. In america it was used over and over and is now being used in some police organizations.
    my bad

Kung fu hasn't been about effective combat since the Ming dynasty.

sport isn't the only proof whether or not something is effective.
    But nearly 3 centuries of failed revolutions is?

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post

more like 3 centuries selling opium and pimping boat women.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Re:

Okay Gene. i'll re-phrase that abit: with me now fighting isn't experimental in the sense of exercising skills to see what works for me, I am very confident in myself and my abilities and if put in the position to have to defend myself let's just say I hope my foe is ready, because i'm determined.....

Blog Entries
    Kung fu hasn't been about effective combat since the Ming dynasty.
    yeah it is your bad. you should have had better luck but it looks like your luck SUCKS. BIG TIME.

shows your ignorance. when you call me your sifu i will teach you the right way. till then maybe you are better off with SHAOLIN DO.

more like 3 centuries selling opium and pimping boat women.
    boat woman can ride better than land lovers.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 10-24-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

Beware of the fat arse! You never know when it will strike!