Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Longfist guys

Longfist guys

This has been bOthering me for a while.

Why is the power generation so much more apparent in other northern styles like bak sil lum? When you see a good bak sil lum guy do a set you can see the power. They look solid.

You see guys like dr yang's students performing sets and it is much less apparent. I'm wondering why. Is it because of a more internal focus? Are they attempting to use more fa jing? Is this some type of pollution from the communist influence?

Not saying their Kung fu is bad of course. I just notice a huge difference when comparing. Again, another way that bak sil lum seems to be more connected to songshan
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

do u mean the cripsy snappyness

give video example pls
    Last edited by bawang; 10-16-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Greetings,

I have not noticed that amongst Master Yang's students.

The ones that I have seen have demonstrated excellent power generation in their form practice. It is something that I expect to see with his students, much like a hallmark.

So yes, I would like to see video footage as well.

mickey

Don't really understand---I'm pretty sure Bak Si Lum is longfist. Tongbi is long fist, so is Songshan Shaolin (mostly)... Longfist is a big big family encompassing many Northern Styles... An example would be great, except I'm in China and won't be able to watch a youtube clip.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    This has been bOthering me for a while.

Why is the power generation so much more apparent in other northern styles like bak sil lum? When you see a good bak sil lum guy do a set you can see the power. They look solid.

You see guys like dr yang's students performing sets and it is much less apparent. I'm wondering why. Is it because of a more internal focus? Are they attempting to use more fa jing? Is this some type of pollution from the communist influence?

Not saying their Kung fu is bad of course. I just notice a huge difference when comparing. Again, another way that bak sil lum seems to be more connected to songshan
    I don't believe there could have been communist influence, since I believe Dr. Yang's Long Fist lineage was brought to Taiwan from China before the communist influences (meaning, modern standardized wushu).

As ShaolinDan already mentioned, Bak Siu Lum is Long Fist. Long Fist is an umbrella term for many northern systems. Taiji is a type of Long Fist.

In southern systems, CLF is often considered a type of 'southern long fist'.

Northern Longfist is played loose and relaxed. As for power, Western boxers don't "snap" at the end of their shadowboxing techniques either.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Fair enough. Not trying to start an argument or create drama. It's just a little hard to type well enough what I mean on this dang phone. I'll try to post some video comparisons later when I get a chance.

Obviously wasn't very articulate in my first post.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

I think you may have hit it on the head MK. It probably also has to do with the fact that I've had more exposure to longfist lineage of dr yang compared to bak sil lum.

Holy crap I hate this phone

This is the worst LongFist performance I've ever seen. Comletely destroys the flavor and flow of the form and techniques:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f48lAjfJLek

Compare that to the flow in this version. You can still see power, but it's not "snappy" (which, by the way, is horrible for your joints anyway):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7_syGd3S0o
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Greetings,

MasterKiller: That worst performance was done by one of Master Yang Jwing Ming's students. I like it.

There are many ways to play a form. Soft and flowing is only one way.

JamesC was talking about power in Shaolin Longfist. It is quite obvious that the performer has that.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

MasterKiller: That worst performance was done by one of Master Yang Jwing Ming's students. I like it.

There are many ways to play a form. Soft and flowing is only one way.

JamesC was talking about power in Shaolin Longfist. It is quite obvious that the performer has that.

mickey
    I don't care whose student he was. It's a horrible expression of Northern principles.

Have you ever seen anyone EVER successfully punch with that much snappiness in a real fight?

Tsunamis don't impact like meteors, but they still f@ck sh1t up.

MasterKiller,

I understand what you are talking about. I have seen those who do the snappy stuff and they suck. What is being demonstrated there is entirely different. Fajing is different from snappiness.

mickey

MasterKiller,

I understand what you are talking about. I have seen those who do the snappy stuff and they suck. What is being demonstrated there is entirely different. Fajing is different from snappiness.

mickey
    Fa Jing comes from hip and body intergration into strikes. He is clearly just jerking wildly for performance effect.

Hi MasterKiller,

That is how they move, very strong and powerful.

YouKnowWho is the person you linked doing the form the way you appreciate. My feeling is that it is for purposes of documentation. Now if I had a choice to get beat up by someone who plays their form like Yang's student or the way you like, I would choose the latter. I know I would survive it.

mickey

Hi MasterKiller,

That is how they move, very strong and powerful.

YouKnowWho is the person you linked doing the form the way you appreciate. My feeling is that it is for purposes of documentation. Now if I had a choice to get beat up by someone who plays their form like Yang's student or the way you like, I would choose the latter. I know I would survive it.

mickey
    You would survive the first one, too, because that's not how proper power is generated. I doubt he would even move a heavy bag hitting like that. Seriously, if it worked, that's how REAL FIGHTERS would hit. But they don't. None of them. Not one.

Everyone has seen a high school fight where two kids punch each other 100 times but no one has a bloody nose. I suspect that's what a fight between two of Yang's students would resemble.