Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Longfist guys

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The faster that you slap at your opponent's eyes, the faster that your opponent will try to block it. The faster that you pull your hand back, the faster that you can strike back with the real powerful punch again.

Why do you want to use 2 steps punches? The reason is simple. 99% of the time, your 1st punch will fail. Why do you want to commit your 1st punch if you know it will fail anyway?
    resist, my brother. fight the wing chun demon within you.

When you use your hand to touch your girl's boob, 99% of the time she will push your hand away. If you move your hand to her groin area, when she move her hand to stop your groin touching hand, her boobs will be exposed to your 2nd hand attack.
    thx for pro dating tips

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

The comparison MK posted of John and one of yang's student will suffice.

Mickey I'm not interested in an Internet fight. I was merely asking a question from thr viewpoint of someone who had no training in Kung fu why there seems to be such a difference even in longfist styles. From thr eyes of the common viewer.

Also, jf you expect me to answer you within mi utes you'll be disappointed. I don't have Internet access except for on my phone.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

You can use a slap at your opponent's eyes to set up a lot of your favor "finish moves".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3i_nkGyOmo

Both "groin kick" and "eyes slap" don't need much force but speed. As long as your opponent will respond to it (99% of the time, your opponent will), that's all you need.
    I've had to use this eye slap. Very fast and effective- you can do a couple in a row. I don't think it permanently damages people (unlike finger jabs etc), and like the groin kick is a good distraction and shock to apply other techniques. I think it's really useful with qin na.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sima Rong View Post
    the groin kick is a good distraction and shock to apply other techniques.
    In one wrestling match,

- A used a groin kick,
    - B moved his groin away,
    - A dragged B down to the ground.
    - B blamed on A by using illegal move in sport.
    - A said, "I used a fake kick. You took it as a real kick. It was your fault and not mine."

How will you judge this if you are the referee for that "sport" wrestling match?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-17-2012 at 02:29 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

In one wrestling match,

- A used a groin kick,
    - A said, "I used a fake kick. You took it as a real kick. It was your fault and not mine."

How will you judge this if you are the referee for that "sport" wrestling match?
    i will tie him with rope, make him kneel down, beat with stick 40 times. if he does not die, expel.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    I think it's kinda being "Too Picky" .... in reference to flavor and snappiness and all that jazz.

With the problems that the Wing Chun guys have arguing over every little detail.... In the end, is it really that big a deal???

The only thing that ultimately sums it up is when 2 dudes cross hands and then you see who's got the "Juice".

Other wise, as I get older I'm also allot more forgiving. In solo form fundamentals do matter from style to style but also it's the individuals ART Expression. Mabe a guy is sick of doing it a certain way for 10yrs and now he's playing with the energies differently. It doesn't take away from a guy or mean that he can't apply it if you happen to see him change his expression.

It's kinda like a singer who gets a hit song and for a while (on tour) everybody expects him to play the song just like on the radio. After awhile the artist get's sick of doing it that way and in a concert or open "Mic" nite...he'll bust out a totally new rendition.
    Many will say...I didn't like that version, he still knows his song however.
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

In one wrestling match,

- A used a groin kick,

I wasn't talking about sport. But this is a real quandary, yes.
    If the training was sport, and the rules stipulated that there was to be no use of stamps, shouts,etc, to distract the opponent, then maybe I'd disallow A's win. If I was the referee and thought that there was no way the fake kick was going to connect, I'd probably let A win. But if it looked like it would have connected if B didn't move out of the way, and looked to be a real technique, maybe I'd disqualify A if groin kicks were illegal. But then again, maybe they are only illegal techniques if they connect and the referee sees.
    Last edited by Sima Rong; 10-17-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
    I think it's kinda being "Too Picky" .... in reference to flavor and snappiness and all that jazz.

With the problems that the Wing Chun guys have arguing over every little detail.... In the end, is it really that big a deal???

The only thing that ultimately sums it up is when 2 dudes cross hands and then you see who's got the "Juice".

Other wise, as I get older I'm also allot more forgiving. In solo form fundamentals do matter from style to style but also it's the individuals ART Expression. Mabe a guy is sick of doing it a certain way for 10yrs and now he's playing with the energies differently. It doesn't take away from a guy or mean that he can't apply it if you happen to see him change his expression.

It's kinda like a singer who gets a hit song and for a while (on tour) everybody expects him to play the song just like on the radio. After awhile the artist get's sick of doing it that way and in a concert or open "Mic" nite...he'll bust out a totally new rendition.
    Many will say...I didn't like that version, he still knows his song however.
    I hear you, bro.

But one of these is gangsta, yet one is not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i-n_NhSHmI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZNFo5lL4iw
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

The second one is so funny. Love it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sima Rong View Post
    I wasn't talking about sport.
    I just use that example to point out that even an experience TCMA guy won't be able to tell a fake groin kick from a real one.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I just use that example to point out that even an experience TCMA guy won't be able to tell a fake groin kick from a real one.
    Oh, OK.

Think I unintentionally opened a can of worms here lol.

I wasn trying to be picky O. Because I am using my phone I don't really have the patience to write everything out. So it probably seems like I'm knocking dr yang and his students. Definitely not meaning to.

The whole thread was just an inquiry that I was hoping could be answered by a simple explanation. Like I said before, I'm not a trained CMArtist. I'm what most would call a MMA guy. I just have a lot of respect for the CMA.

The explanation that MK gave me pretty much summed it up. I think it was simply a matter of practicing differences that I've been exposed to. As I mentioned before my exposure to both is limited.

Hope that clears some stuff up.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Hi JamesC,

You had me puzzled with your first post because you chose Yang Jwing Ming's students. That was a mistake for sure.

Looking back, it seems that you like the power delivery of Bak Sil Lum. That is totally okay. If you plan to take that up, have fun.

mickey

Since Bak Siu Lum (Bei Shaolin) is northern Long Fist that was taught in the south, it's likely that at least some practitioners' power generation (form-wise) had some southern-style influence.

Originally Posted by Jimbo
    Since Bak Siu Lum (Bei Shaolin) is northern Long Fist that was taught in the south, it's likely that at least some practitioners' power generation (form-wise) had some southern-style influence.
    If some of the BSL practitioners power generation had a southern-style influence then it was probably because they were the students of Choy Lay Fut master Tarm Sam who learned BSL from Kuo Yu Cheung. But honestly, I don't know what you mean by the power generation being southern. It seems to me that power is generated with Choy Lay Fut the same way it's generated with BSL, and Hung Gar uses the same stances as the Long Fist styles (especially the horse). From the foot to the fist, the principles are the same.

Also, it shouldn't take videos of BSL practitioners to show that a great deal of power can be generated with Bak Siu Lum.
    http://www.buksing.com/history/ku_yu...g/k_y_c_3.html
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)