Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moderated repost

Moderated repost

http://www.wslstudents.org/

The WSLSA reserves the right to terminate the WSLSA membership of any sifu who is teaching Chi Kung or any other martial arts skills such as Iron Palm or the so called “Dim Mak”, as our Sifu Wong Shun Leung never believed in any of such skills. The reason for the foregoing, is that we do not want these other skills to be labeled as WSLVT, since it was never included in our Sifu’s teaching curriculum.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 10-23-2012 at 02:34 PM.

No shikong in ip man / Leung bik lineage
    But there is one in mainland china lineage

Perhaps we don't have the same definition of this skill

What do you mean by conditioning the hands ?

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post

Good part !

The WSLSA reserves the right to terminate the WSLSA membership of any sifu who is teaching Chi Kung or any other martial arts skills such as Iron Palm or the so called “Dim Mak”, as our Sifu Wong Shun Leung never believed in any of such skills. The reason for the foregoing, is that we do not want these other skills to be labeled as WSLVT, since it was never included in our Sifu’s teaching curriculum.
    I wasn't going to post here because of the WSL family issues, BUT I think it's a shame some narrow minded people seem to want to divide a single lineage up for their own selfish promotions and financial gain when ALL of Ip Mans students should be bound together as he wished.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Whats the purpose of iron palm or iron fist skills.

What are u doing with hand conditioning...is it really giving you some exciting chi power than can give a deadly strike...or is simply making your fist harder and more conditioned so you can hit harder...

Also is Iron palm just the hands or palms...or is the iron palm conditioning the entire arm from the fingers to the elbow?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

So a question for Kevin.

When it all comes down to it, who says what is and what isn't WSL WC?

Deciding what is/isn't WCK and who is/isn't doing it correctly. And kicking out anybody that they view isn't teaching WCK exactly like one man's prefered methods of fighting/teaching..
    Sounds like they are trying to create a bunch of robots to me.

So, who appointed all these people? WSL himself?
    I willing to bet not all WSL guys feel this same way. I'd be really interested to hear if guys like David Peterson agree that someone is 'not doing WSL' and should be booted from the lineage simply because they are suplimenting their training by conditioning thier hands/arms by striking bags filled with sand/gravel/iron shot or doing breathing excersizes...
    Last edited by Sihing73; 10-19-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Hello,

FWIW, I used to train Leung Ting Wing Tsun some years ago.
    Part of the training was to also do Latosa Escrima.
    I did not like that approach and opted to do Pekiti Tirsia myself.
    Several of my seniors got on me about not doing things the same way as everyone else.
    My reply was "Hmm, I can do what you guys do and you can kick my a**, or I can keep doing what I am doing and I can kick your a**". I think you may guess which way I went

When I left WT I was told I could no longer Teach Wing Chun\Tsun. That somehow since I was no longer affiliated with them all of my previous training was worthless. While I could not teach under the WT banner, I still opted to teach, those interested, my approach to Wing Chun.

I am currently under Sifu Chung Kwok Chow but we do not do everything the same way. Does this make my ability any less or more relevant?

If you want the backing of an organization for somehow lend creditability to how you do something then sure stick with them and follow their rules. But in the end the only thing that should really matter is does your approach work for you.

I am currently teaching a couple of guys my approach to Wing Chun which is a hybrid of WT and WC along with Kuntao\Silat and Pekiti Tirisia. I do it this way cause I like the way it blends together for me and it seems to work very well for me. Do I really care if anyone else says I am not doing Wing Chun cause they do it differently? Not really. When I used to teach in Philly my door was always open to anyone who wanted to cross hands. Sometimes I even learned something from those who visited.

Not saying my way is the best or I am somehow super bad. Honestly could care less. I enjoy my way and am confident it works...........for me. No I do not have multiple fights in the gym, but I do have experience in Law Enforcement working at a Prison a Housing Police Officer and PA State Trooper. Though to be honest you really only need to get into confrontations if you are lacking in other skills. Most times you should have little need to fight.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

so from what i understand of it (which is probably very little), it seems that this isn't saying that those who teach other non-wsl ving tsun skills aren't also teaching WSL Ving Tsun, but rather that they're not part of "club" of WSL students, even though they may technically be a WSL student.

out of curiosity, i randomly referred a friend to this school where they teach clf and ving tsun. would this qualify as something that would get the sifu kicked out of the WSLSA? It would suck if that is true because it seems that would make the WSLSA similar to some religions where any extra beliefs not mentioned by the founder are considered blasphemy and create grounds to expel the person who said such things.
    Last edited by EternalSpring; 10-18-2012 at 11:30 AM.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post

Good part !

try it again without the name calling,

let me start by saying i wanted to hit a guy with a palm strike but was afraid and held back until I did weeks of Iron palm training. I also lacked the ability to deliver my death touch while breathing in my specialized way during my last fight .... Should I join a certified WSL school if I cant pursue this approach ?
    While I'm at it, what is the wslsa and who are the senior members?

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post
    so from what i understand of it (which is probably very little), it seems that this isn't saying that those who teach other non-wsl ving tsun skills aren't also teaching WSL Ving Tsun, but rather that they're not part of "club" of WSL students, even though they may technically be a WSL student.

out of curiosity, i randomly referred a friend to this school where they teach clf and ving tsun. would this qualify as something that would get the sifu kicked out of the WSLSA? It would suck if that is true because it seems that would make the WSLSA similar to some religions where any extra beliefs not mentioned by the founder are considered blasphemy and create grounds to expel the person who said such things.
    The school mentioned is recognized because both CLF and Ving Tsun are taught separately. I know the owner of the schools quite well and I have visited and trained with the ppl there. They do not mixed the two together. Meaning they don't teach CLF and call it VT or vice versa.

In a way this makes sense. Iron palm is worthless compared to alternative training which does the same and if you label chi kung as anything other than breathing exercises I think you're starting to delve into mystical chi garbage.

That said I do not agree with only teaching the exact same curriculum as your sifu.

Quote Originally Posted by wkmark View Post
    The school mentioned is recognized because both CLF and Ving Tsun are taught separately. I know the owner of the schools quite well and I have visited and trained with the ppl there. They do not mixed the two together. Meaning they don't teach CLF and call it VT or vice versa.
    Oh, that's not bad at all then. Because I have heard of people being strict on not even teaching other arts in addition to a certain style, but if this is the sort of thing where they're just trying to "protect their kung fu/curriculum" then it does make sense. In that sense, things like "iron palm" could be taught alongside WSLVT as long at it doesn't claim to be part of the curriculum, right?
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    F'g sad - He deletes a previous thread because it didn't go his way, only to start it again. Sounds like someone has some serious 'control issues' to me (and some really thin skin for someone that claims 40+ fights).

Funny, this 'control issue' sounds a bit similar to a group of lineage guys (self appointed?) deciding what is/isn't WCK and who is/isn't doing it correctly. And kicking out anybody that they view isn't teaching WCK exactly like one man's prefered methods of fighting/teaching..
    Sounds like they are trying to create a bunch of robots to me.

So, who appointed all these people? WSL himself?
    I willing to bet not all WSL guys feel this same way. I'd be really interested to hear if guys like David Peterson agree that someone is 'not doing WSL' and should be booted from the lineage simply because they are suplimenting their training by conditioning thier hands/arms by striking bags filled with sand/gravel/iron shot or doing breathing excersizes...
    Just to clarify...if a person learns WSL VT and decided to add bjj or anything else, then that's fine. All the power to them. However if they are teaching students with these additional skills and grouping it all up by saying that's what I learned from wslvt, then it would be in issue since Sifu WSL never taught that.

There are certain skills that Sifu didn't believe in such as dim Mak "death touch" or chi Kung where your body is invincible by ways of swords and bullets..etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post
    Oh, that's not bad at all then. Because I have heard of people being strict on not even teaching other arts in addition to a certain style, but if this is the sort of thing where they're just trying to "protect their kung fu/curriculum" then it does make sense. In that sense, things like "iron palm" could be taught alongside WSLVT as long at it doesn't claim to be part of the curriculum, right?
    That is correct. Sifu WSL never taught any of his students iron palm. There is no need to label iron palm as part of wslvt as we were never taught that.