Thread: Dominating the corridors

Dominating the corridors

A repost from another page:

"Unless your opponent has a grotesquely different anatomy to everyone else, to attack you it is the same set of corridors that everyone must go through. Don't try to catch his fists, for often they are too fast; but dominate these corridors and you'd dominate the fight."

Cheers.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post

"Unless your opponent has a grotesquely different anatomy to everyone else, to attack you it is the same set of corridors that everyone must go through. Don't try to catch his fists, for often they are too fast; but dominate these corridors and you'd dominate the fight."

Cheers.
    ??????????????????? Making obscure statements leads to lots of ????????? Why not just come on out and use plain Engrish rather than leave it up to the reader to figure out just what the heck you just said?
    Jackie Lee

Because then it's yours and YOU own the knowledge.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    ??????????????????? Making obscure statements leads to lots of ????????? Why not just come on out and use plain Engrish rather than leave it up to the reader to figure out just what the heck you just said?
    Well, I posted a video on the "attack" thread, sorry if it is still Engrish to you.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post

Cheers.
    I believe I understand what he is saying, just probably needs some more development of what u mean by corridors. Is a corridor similar to the inner gate/out gate principles?

Quote Originally Posted by trubblman View Post
    I believe I understand what he is saying, just probably needs some more development of what u mean by corridors. Is a corridor similar to the inner gate/out gate principles?
    If we have a look at the opponent's arm/fist as an example; between the initial position and it's targets, the arm has only a number of positions that it can go through. The dynamic space that the different structure creates, is what I call the corridor. Rather obvious, and it is surprisingly small.

Of course, we cannot predict the exact position of the arm, nor can we chase the fist as the opponent can be fast; however, if we can create a obstruction that covers the corridor as the arm moves through this space, we stop the opponent's attack.

Of course, the opponent would change his attack as he sees the path being obstructed, creating a new unpreditable path of attack; hence as we intercept this corridor, we MUST ATTACK, to force the opponent to deal with us, and to take away his opportunity to change.

Hence I always say "attack is my defense". I just need to cover the corridors as I attack back.

Timing is easy, as the corridor is predictable; angulations can be tricky, but with a bit of practice it becomes habitual.

Bit convoluted describing in words, but it's very straight forward and simple in action. The rest of the body follows the same rule.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"