Thread: Question concerning gloves...

Arrow Question concerning gloves...

(sorry if this has been answered, if so please link thread, tyvm)

...for those who spar with people from different styles/systems/etc, what size and type of gloves do you wear?

to be more specific, sometimes I'll box using 12oz gloves, but I'm actually asking regarding sparring where you focus more on using your Ving Tsun/Kung Fu. I had some random training gloves I got as a gift that seem to be around 4 oz, but I've been told that my gloves suck and def are not for sparring so I should get new ones. So far, the people I cross train with have recommended 6 oz gloves or perhaps even 8 oz. What do you guys use? Any recommendations? I really just want something that will give me the freedom to use my hands and fingers without having an unfair advantage of less padding.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

6 oz open finger everlast/mma style are what we use, they dont get stuck recycling the hands and offer good padding.

Well when we do sparring as training rather than competition we use face masks so the glove padding is just to protect your hands.

Personally I have a pair of gloves by Boes I wouldn't want to go without. It seems they aren't in production anymore but I'll tell you what I like about the so you can go by attributes instead of sepecific gloves.

As open palm as you can get - sensitivity is a big deal
    Ability to close your palm so the fingers touch - some gloves are a lot better for this than others. If you get hit in the fingers and they're forced apart by the glove... That's unfortunate an painful.
    Wrist flexibility - you want to be able to make those minor corrections without the stiffness of the glove's wrap getting in the way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    6 oz open finger everlast/mma style are what we use, they dont get stuck recycling the hands and offer good padding.
    Nice, I was hoping someone might mention the everlast gloves because they seem to be going for a good price on amazon.

would these gloves be similar to what youre talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Well when we do sparring as training rather than competition we use face masks so the glove padding is just to protect your hands.

Personally I have a pair of gloves by Boes I wouldn't want to go without. It seems they aren't in production anymore but I'll tell you what I like about the so you can go by attributes instead of sepecific gloves.

As open palm as you can get - sensitivity is a big deal
    Ability to close your palm so the fingers touch - some gloves are a lot better for this than others. If you get hit in the fingers and they're forced apart by the glove... That's unfortunate an painful.
    Wrist flexibility - you want to be able to make those minor corrections without the stiffness of the glove's wrap getting in the way too much.
    Yea, after thinking about it I realized it'd be awesome to eventually get some headgear and shin pad type stuff too. What kind of head protection/gear do you use? Might as well use this thread to get recommendations on all the gear i need!

Those glove attributes are definitely things I'm looking for as well. Except I dont understand what you mean when you say "ability to close your palm so the fingers touch."

Eternalspring, those are the gloves I use. Mine are little tight so I have run into issues lie what Bacon mentioned. They do in a pinch though and offer just enough padding to go at a nice pace.

Yeah, these are made with 'ever-dri' lining, wont stink like old socks after week of sweating in them.

I use these leather ones, link :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Everlast-MMA...&forceRpt=true

I use the mma gloves. and face shields with head gear!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    I use the mma gloves. and face shields with head gear!
    Your enthusiasm is duly noted !

Your enthusiasm is duly noted !
    Thanks buddy!!!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

I like Title Gear - http://www.titlemma.com
    and
    Hayabayusa

I recommend having the following gear:

1) Headgear
    2) 16 oz Boxing Gloves - Velcro
    3) 6 oz MMA Gloves
    4) Shin Pads
    5) Focus Mitts
    6) Muay Thai Pads

That will accommodate the range of sparring scenarios you need to cover, from headgear and heavy gloves, to that plus shin pads, to mma, to chi sau with heavier strikes, to grappling with strikes.

Chi-sao is not a 'gloved' competitive exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by Featherstone View Post
    Eternalspring, those are the gloves I use. Mine are little tight so I have run into issues lie what Bacon mentioned. They do in a pinch though and offer just enough padding to go at a nice pace.
    Oh nice, those are looking like my second option right now. What size did you get? The one thing I'm worried about is getting the wrong size gloves, but then again, I guess I can only blame myself for being too lazy to walk into a sporting goods store to try and figure out what size glove id need.

Yeah, these are made with 'ever-dri' lining, wont stink like old socks after week of sweating in them.

I use these leather ones, link :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Everlast-MMA...&forceRpt=true
    Just found these on Amazon and at the moment, they're looking to be my top choice right now. The dri lining part makes it even more appealing for it's price

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    I like Title Gear - http://www.titlemma.com
    and
    Hayabayusa

I recommend having the following gear:

1) Headgear
    2) 16 oz Boxing Gloves - Velcro
    3) 6 oz MMA Gloves
    4) Shin Pads
    5) Focus Mitts
    6) Muay Thai Pads

That will accommodate the range of sparring scenarios you need to cover, from headgear and heavy gloves, to that plus shin pads, to mma, to chi sau with heavier strikes, to grappling with strikes.
    Nice, I agree with the list for the most part except I'd prefer 12 oz gloves. But those are just personal preferences anyways.

well, I've just about made up my mind on gloves.

Any suggestions on other cost efficient gear?

specifically put:

1. Headgear

2. Shin Pads
    Last edited by EternalSpring; 10-26-2012 at 01:45 PM.

XL was to big, large is just a little snug, my hands fall inbetween so no matter what I wear on my hands, it never really fits correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post
    Oh nice, those are looking like my second option right now. What size did you get? The one thing I'm worried about is getting the wrong size gloves, but then again, I guess I can only blame myself for being too lazy to walk into a sporting goods store to try and figure out what size glove id need.
    What I've found is that fit and durability are the two important things to shoot for. And fit varies from brand to brand. It is much better to get a good "feel" with gloves - if you have that, then they kind of "disappear" when you are sparring. If you don't, then they are always on your mind, and always being adjusted somehow, thus hindering mental focus away from technique.

Nice, I agree with the list for the most part except I'd prefer 12 oz gloves. But those are just personal preferences anyways.
    From what I have seen heavier gloves in the 12 oz to 18 oz category are for sparring with heavier contact. Use headgear, wrap your hands under the gloves, and get used to banging a little more. In that context, MOST WCK people I have talked to universally feel that heavier gloves changes the dynamic on the bridge enough that they feel it changes the core WCK movements. The weight of the gloves in this range is personal preference and sometimes due to the size of the animals involved.

So for that reason, people not used to using this kind of gear and from a WCK background, I would recommend making your first glove purchase be of the MMA type. 4oz - 8oz, with freedom in wrist and finger movement. If you are just getting started, try chi sau with MMA gloves and freer range WCK sparring with bridge contact. You should see little to no difference in bridge dynamics, and you should have your hands protected enough to bang a little more. Headgear doesn't help as much with those as they are small enough to slip into spaces, and they still can cut with a hard strike. So what I usually see there is harder punches to the body and easing up A LITTLE on head punching, but not as much as you would bare knuckle. This also trains key skills like keeping your chin tucked and movement so head punches catch you in the forehead rather than the chin if you have to get hit.

After that, gear up with the heavy artillery and bang. What I've found the heavy glove sessions to do is give me a little more power reserve in the tank in the midst of live sparring. I can pull out an extra 20% if I need to for putting someone down when I have an opening in live sparring. Also, my defense is better, as I need to do this without getting put down myself.

Just a couple thoughts on the topic.