Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The TCMA is more than just fighting

Blog Entries

The TCMA is more than just fighting

We have heard this saying from different people many times in this forum. Of course we can use TCMA to:

- improve health. But we can run, walk, swim, lift weight, ...
    - achieve self-cultivation. But we can go to church, temple, bible study, ...
    - have fun. But we can play tennis, golf, make love, ...
    - understand art. But we can dance, paint, play piano, ...

If "combat" is not important to you then why do you want to train "hammer fist", "upper cut", "foot sweep", "hip throw", "wrist lock", ... What's the reason that you spend 2 hours infront of your heavy bag daily but you don't care about "combat"? Do 2 men drills and equipment training have any meaning for those who don't care about fighting? Is "solo drill/form" the only thing that you train if "combat" is not on your priority list? Will Fajin (power generation) be needed if "health" is your main goal?

What's your though?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-25-2012 at 12:01 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We have heard this saying from different people many times in this forum. Of course we can use TCMA to:

- achieve self-cultivation. But we can go to church, temple, ...
    - have fun. But we can play tennis, golf, ...

If "combat" is not important to you then why do you want to train "hammer fist", "foot sweep", "hip throw", "wrist lock", ... What's the reason that you spend 2 hours infront of your heavy bag daily but you don't care about "combat"?

What's your though?
    I never got into ANY MA for "health reasons" or any other reason other than to fight better.
    That you can get MORE from TCMA than fighting is a PLUS, the icing on the cake if you will. It is NOT the cake.

I don't get how learning how to punch someone in the face and knock them out, how learning how to breaks bones and crack ribs and choke someone unconscious or learning how to hurt someone real bad = fun, health and spiritual cultivation.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    Why do we train to

- punch on heavy bag,
    - kick on banana tree,
    - bite shin bone into a small tree,
    - roll stick along shin bone,

if we don't intend to hurt people? Those training such as "iron palm" will have no "health" benefit IMO.

- "Combat" is to hurt others.
    - "Health" is to benefit ourselves.

If "health" is the only concern, there are a lot of TCMA training that's not good for "health". Is punching on the heavy bag good for health? I don't think so. So why train TCMA for health?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-25-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post

I don't get how learning how to punch someone in the face and knock them out, how learning how to breaks bones and crack ribs and choke someone unconscious or learning how to hurt someone real bad = fun, health and spiritual cultivation.
    hmmmmmm... let me answer that with this image.

Why do we train

- iron palm,
    - heavy bag punching,
    - banana tree kicking,
    - bite shin bone into a small tree,
    - roll stick along shin bone,

if we don't intend to hurt people? Those training will have no "health" benefit IMO.
    In all fairness, outside of bag work, not everyone does the other stuff and bag work has great cardio and muscle toning properties.

I think that the reason people say that stuff is this:
    Fighting hurts and not everyone is "built" for fighting, most people are basically sheep and pansies.
    The don't like fighting BUT they still like to "role play" being "martial artists".

In all fairness, outside of bag work, not everyone does the other stuff and bag work has great cardio and muscle toning properties.

I think that the reason people say that stuff is this:
    Fighting hurts and not everyone is "built" for fighting, most people are basically sheep and pansies.
    The don't like fighting BUT they still like to "role play" being "martial artists".
    Truisms brought to you by Sanjuro

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    hmmmmmm... let me answer that with this image.

Some people pay good money for that too, so MA and S&M sessions cater to the same people.

I have a manic / depressive like relationship with TCMA

There's times when I think - F*ck, I wasted a lot of time learning something that isn't applicable in real situations... And then there's times of holy sh*t this stuff works!

---

I think it's now time to quote my older brother who's very wise. He said...

Does it matter if you have the biggest c0ck in the county if you're not f**king anybody with it?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I have a manic / depressive like relationship with TCMA

There's times when I think - F*ck, I wasted a lot of time learning something that isn't applicable in real situations... And then there's times of holy sh*t this stuff works!

---

I think it's now time to quote my older brother who's very wise. He said...

Does it matter if you have the biggest c0ck in the county if you're not f**king anybody with it?
    Much wisdom in that.
    And yes, a big **** is a big **** regardless of what you do with it.
    as the old proverb goes:

When things look bad
    I remember I have a really big ****
    And things seems much better.
    Last edited by sanjuro_ronin; 10-25-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    If you have developed an excellent "foot sweep" skill, but you have never used it on anybody in your lifetime. The day when you die, what will be in your mind at that moment? Accomplished? Wasted?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-25-2012 at 12:29 PM.

- achieve self-cultivation. But we can go to church, temple, bible study, ...
    - have fun. But we can play tennis, golf, make love, ...

If "combat" is not important to you then why do you want to train "hammer fist", "upper cut", "foot sweep", "hip throw", "wrist lock", ... What's the reason that you spend 2 hours infront of your heavy bag daily but you don't care about "combat"? Do 2 men drills and equipment training have any meaning for those who don't care about fighting? Is "solo drill/form" the only thing that you train if "combat" is not on your priority list? Will Fajin (power generation) be needed if "health" is your main goal?

What's your though?
    John:

You have the right atitude. Martial Arts means fighting. I think they should get rid of the "ART" and just make it "Martial Science" or the "Science of Fighting"

On the other side of the coin. People who created, trained and practiced martial arts over the centuries have had times of peace and tranquilty. Where martial arts are not needed as a daily part of life, they decided to pursue it as a recreation or a spiritual endeaver.

When civil breaks out, the fighters will train the "Science of Fighting" because this is a neccessity to survive. John, you are one of those fighters.

ginosifu

If you have developed an excellent "foot sweep" skill, but you have never used it on anybody in your lifetime. The day when you die, what will be in your mind at that moment? Acomplished? Wasted?
    There are a few things that I have developed that I hope I never use on anyone, LOL !
    I don't see going though life doing something you enjoy, for whatever reason, and thinking, "was it worth it"?

Allow me to quote from a member on another forum:

"The primary purpose of martial arts is always combative proficiency. Anything else is an aid to or result of the training for that primary purpose."
    Sketco

Blog Entries
    I don't see going though life doing something you enjoy, for whatever reason, and thinking, "was it worth it"?
    You are right. As long as we have fun. That's all it matters. If I can't use my head lock to squeeze someone's skull, I still have fun to use it to squeeze watermelon.

You are right. As long as we have fun. That's all it matters. If I can't use my head lock to squeeze someone's skull, I still have fun to use it to squeeze watermelon.
    For you John:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM17URoyKbk