Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: The TCMA is more than just fighting

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    I don't understand why this topic comes up over and over.
    Because "combat" is for others and "healh" is for oneself. Sometime even the training are difference. If you train

- combat for health, you will hurt yourself.
    - health for combat, it won't work.

For example, when you punch into the thin air, if you pretend that you are punching at your opponent, you may hurt your elbow joint in the long run. If you want to use TCMA for health, you will need to modify your training differently.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-30-2012 at 11:26 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Taiji for health is where the money is. Some people have got so rich by focusing on teaching it as a health exercise. Many of the hippies who want to learn it would even mind if you show them fajin and the applications as they view it just as a spiritual complementary course after their whatever yoga class. Personally I don't think I can resist the cash when I start teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Because "combat" is for others and "healh" is for oneself. Sometime even the training are difference. If you train

- combat for health, you will hurt yourself.
    - health for combat, it won't work.

For example, when you punch into the thin air, if you pretend that you are punching at your opponent, you may hurt your elbow joint in the long run. If you want to use TCMA for health, you will need to modify your training differently.
    So what's wrong with doing both?

Yin and Yang are the opposite of each other but they can both help each other as well. When I practice for health my breathing and my focus are different but it certainly helps my combat. The key is to do them both separately and they will automatically help each other.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 10-30-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    So what's wrong with doing both?
    You may look at this only from a striker point of view but not from a grappler point of view. How will you train your "hip throw" or "ground game arm bar" for health?

When you train "solo", you are not training "combat". Because in "solo" training, there are no such thing as

- timing,
    - opportunity,
    - angle.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-30-2012 at 11:49 AM.

You may look at this only from a striker point of view but not from a grappler point of view. How will you train your "hip throw" or "ground game arm bar" for health?

When you train "solo", you are not training "combat". Because in "solo" training, there are no such thing as

- timing,
    - opportunity,
    - angle.
    Health is not the same as the solo form as the solo form can be practiced for both. For combat the solo form is where we can prepare the body in terms of flexibility,balance, speed and to some extent power. It's certainly not enough for combat and is just a part of the preparation.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 10-30-2012 at 12:03 PM.

There are more efficient and less damaging ways to strengthen the body. If you learn MA's, it should be for combat. Anything else you get from your training is secondary.

One of the most important aspects of a fitness plan is that it isn't boring. If you get bored then you won't stick with it. MA keeps it interesting.

Staying healthy is part of being prepared for combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    There are more efficient and less damaging ways to strengthen the body. If you learn MA's, it should be for combat. Anything else you get from your training is secondary.
    Believe me i agree. But any kind of wrestling whether judo, catch, Greco, bjj, they are a good workout in and of themselves. But again if you're in a martial arts class just for fitness...leave.

I think if I didn't train MAs I would swim more. In fact I wanna swim more anyways. It just feels so low impact. I always feel good after laps. Mos def a better aerobic exercise than running. And you can create a pretty kick @ss anaerobic program in the pool too. I run way more than I swim. I wish I had my own pool. It's hard for me to tell exactly what gives me what sometimes because most my hobbies physical. Am I getting stronger from practicing Air Flares or is it the weights? Both I'm sure, but it's hard to narrow it down sometimes. I just know that swimming feels awesome. I imagine it's pretty good on the lungs too. Something I need work on from all that pot as a youth.

I always get a great workout sub grappling. Always good on the core and it gives that retard farmboy strength that comes in handy in a pinch.
    Last edited by Syn7; 10-31-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    One of the most important aspects of a fitness plan is that it isn't boring. If you get bored then you won't stick with it. MA keeps it interesting.
    Exactly.

This Sums up the argument for people who do it for fitness. There are more efficient ways of getting fitter, off course. There are more efficient ways at doing everything. But we do the ones we can stand to do. Fitness would be a main goal but most people who start MA relise beforehand there will be many aspects to enjoy with it.

Taiji in a park may be less efficient for fitness than many other things. But it trains the stamina, flexibility, co-ordination in a way other things don't.

It trains to focus on breathing (we breath all the time but think about it seldom).
    It forces the mind to wonder about the mystical element (be it existent or not, we still wonder and I think that is good for a healthy mind).
    There is a social aspect, people like to be in groups and a MA group will accept people who don't always fit well in other groups (we all have wierdos in our class but accept them anyway).
    It has a learning curve. Sure you get better at jogging, but you don't notice it like getting better at Taiji, thats obvious. And getting better at something is addictive.
    These are some things that make it a more enjoyable fitness pursuit than going to the gym. Not to mention all the other aspects MA have that people who start for health will later discover. I find Taiji boring, but when I am old I am certain I will prefer Taiji to just going to the gym, jogging on the treadmill then doing a few machines.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 10-31-2012 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Exactly.

This Sums up the argument for people who do it for fitness. There are more efficient ways of getting fitter, off course. There are more efficient ways at doing everything. But we do the ones we can stand to do. Fitness would be a main goal but most people who start MA relise beforehand there will be many aspects to enjoy with it.
    tahts right.

"when im busy i farm, when im bored i make forms" tai chi founder chen wangting

forms have an aspect of fun and enjoyment to them, otherwise we wouldnt want to do them.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    I find Taiji boring, but when I am old I am certain I will prefer Taiji to just going to the gym, jogging on the treadmill then doing a few machines.
    I feel exactly the opposite. I started my Taiji when I was 7. Now I have reached my medicare age. I still prefer to go to gym than to work on my Taiji and strike into the thin air. My teacher did say that I would appreciate Taiji when I get older. Maybe I'm still not old enough yet.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-31-2012 at 12:21 PM.

This subject seems a bit narrow in scope.

I feel exactly the opposite. I started my Taiji when I was 7. Now I have reached my medicare age. I still prefer to go to gym than to work on my Taiji and strike into the thin air. My teacher did say that I would appreciate Taiji when I get older. Maybe I'm still not old enough yet.
    When you CANNOT move fast, you will appreciate slower exercise alot more. I'm sure. But as long as you have the ability to move fast and strong, do so. By all means. As long as you aren't hurting yourself, rocksteady!

Are you saying there is not more to TCMA than fighting? I'm sure there are plenty of Kung Fu styles that don't really teach anything more than fighting but traditional Shaolin is far more than just fighting. Of course I can get good exercise outside of TCMA but I doubt better. Sure Yoga is good but it will never put you in shape like Kung Fu. Swimming is great too but will never get you into Kung Fu shape. Real Kung Fu will train the body, mind and spirit to a degree that nothing else can. My question to you is... If you only want fighting why do you train Kung Fu? Fighting is pretty simple.