Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Razor in the mouth

Razor in the mouth

Let's say you're in NYC and two guys are about to fight. One of them yells out the number "15" or "20", etc. That guy is telling the other guy how many stitches he's going to get after he slices him across the eyebrow, the ligaments on the inside of his wrist, or wherever :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzLFq...&feature=inbox
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Let's say you're in NYC and two guys are about to fight. One of them yells out the number "15" or "20", etc. That guy is telling the other guy how many stitches he's going to get after he slices him across the eyebrow, the ligaments on the inside of his wrist, or wherever :
    This is one of my fav clip on the net.

The razor blade is a great stealth weapon, because the person being cut may not even know it until after the fight, when blood is pouring everywhere. And for this same reason, it is not a self defense weapon of choice, as a self defense weapon would work better if it also creates fear in the opponent.

After saying that, if I do see someone holding a razor, I'll run.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Wing Chun related? Isnt there a forum for street fighting? IJS

Whats funny to me is some people think getting into it with guys like that would be easy.
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"

Yeah, like 52 stuff. I think that style is most applicable in prison, where you may have a shank or blade but nothing else, and in over-populated over-regulated areas where carrying a gun is problematic. Some of the cutting movements he's doing are real wide - plenty of time to get hit in the face with something. But definitely a real additional threat. I do think some of the fancy toss hand exchanges might be harder to pull off while being punched in the face, and if he drops the blade hollywooding then he deserves the beating and more.

It does highlight the danger of training a lot of open hand and then thinking you are some kind of a b@d@$$.

But I mean if I'm fully geared up and someone yells out "15" or "20" I can yell out "bear repellent" and go for the 15 ft. stream of pepper spray. Then if they still have a high level of motivation after that I can yell out "45" and see if my Colt Commander can lower their level of motivation appropriately.

But yeah, interesting clip and something to be aware of for sure.

Phil,

I did not know that Marines could count past 10
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Phil,

A marine never walks alone

Quote Originally Posted by jesper View Post
    A marine never walks alone
    That's cause they need each other to find their way.

An Army Ranger leads the way and everyone one else follows

I was going to be a Marine but I passed the IQ test
    Peace,

Dave

Dunno... sure sounds like an awesome thing... A few thoughts though:

- Razor blades are quite thin. You have to grab them very close to the edge so they don't break. Problem with this is that penetration is greatly reduced.

- Given the lack of penetration you need to be very precise to slash the few areas where the blade will do real damage (maybe eyes, neck). Problem though is that in a fight things are chaotic. You cannot predict what the other guy's gonna do (unless he sucks), and viceversa. Slashing with such a precision is gonna be tough.

- While you're waiting for the right opportunity focused on causing damage by slashing the opponent's skin surface on specific spots, he's focused on knocking you out asap. You probably have just a few seconds before you're out.

Will probably need to combine with good old boxing... Dunno...
    Dio perdona... Io no!

Quote Originally Posted by trubblman View Post
    Wing Chun related? Isnt there a forum for street fighting? IJS
    Yes, it's Wing Chun related. Wing Chun people need to know what's out there.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Phil,

Ain't Ready for Marines Yet.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Ain't Ready for Marines Yet.
    Phil,

First, I am glad those remedial reading and writing classes are working out for you. Who knows, soon you may be reading at a 8th grade level. I know that is a bit much to ask of a Marine, but I have confidence that you can do it.

Tell me this, why do the Marines go through Army Jump School??

As to the idea of fighting with a razor, when younger I used to carry a straight razor.

If you want to talk about improvised weapons: Another very good one which is not as prevalent today is the common car antenna. In a pinch you could snatch one from a car and it could be as deadly as a switchblade. Problem today is it is hard to find a car with an external antenna

Not so sure I would carry a razor in my mouth, although I have heard it was sometimes used by courtesans and other "working girls".

This is for Phil and the other poor souls who made the error of becoming a Marine:

One Day, A General In The Air Force, General In The Marine Corps, And A Admiral In The Navy Were Fishing. They Were Going Along Having A Good Time With Their Rods And Two Ice Chest Of Beer. Finally, The Admiral Stood Up And Said "the Cno Says I Need To ****." So He Stood Up Stepped Out Of The Boat And Walked On Water To The Shore. He ****ed And Walked Back. A Couple Minutes Later, The Air Force General Said That The Chief Of The Air Force Told Him To Go Take A ****. He Stood Up, Stepped Out Of The Boat, Walked To Shore On The Water. He Relieved Himself And Walked Back. Now, The General In The Marines Corps Was Amazed. "surly If These Two *******s Can Walk On Water, I Can Too." So He Stood Up, Put His Foot Outside Of The Boat And Fell Right Into The Water. The Air Force General Looked At The Admiral. The Admiral Said, "i Think We Need To Tell Him Were The Rocks Are Next Time."
    Peace,

Dave

anyways speaking of concealed weapons i sometimes bring my cane with me for a walk just for fun.

Its a very old one with a sword inside which I got from my granddad. very cool stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha_Fist View Post
    Dunno... sure sounds like an awesome thing... A few thoughts though:

- Razor blades are quite thin. You have to grab them very close to the edge so they don't break. Problem with this is that penetration is greatly reduced.

- Given the lack of penetration you need to be very precise to slash the few areas where the blade will do real damage (maybe eyes, neck). Problem though is that in a fight things are chaotic. You cannot predict what the other guy's gonna do (unless he sucks), and viceversa. Slashing with such a precision is gonna be tough.

- While you're waiting for the right opportunity focused on causing damage by slashing the opponent's skin surface on specific spots, he's focused on knocking you out asap. You probably have just a few seconds before you're out.

Will probably need to combine with good old boxing... Dunno...
    Yep, totally agree. A stealthy weapon, non fatal, can cause some nasty damage, not great for self defense. Still not a bad improvised weapon.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Stanley Knives ( razor blade ) are common in London. A nasty extra would be two razors taped together so the cut couldn't be stiched normally, leaving a wide ' Mars bar ' ( slang for scar) on your face. The razors would be hidden in sandwiches, burgers...to avoid pre soccer match searches by police. UK is knife crazy..no guns. Hooligans will razor edge coins and use them like a razor, or like a shuriken, throw them at opposition fans/players.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 10-28-2012 at 05:29 AM.