Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Basics

Practice stepping and footwork drills as often as possible. When you do it, practice stomach breathing. What I like to do is go for a walk or run. Then when I decide to turn around and go back home. I practice my footwork drills all the way back. I'll take breaks when I have to. Without good stance, footwork, coordination between upper and lower body, and proper breathing, you'll never have any decent power in Wing Chun. In addition to that, practice the deadlift exercise. You'll strengthen every muscle in your body as well as your endurance. Do reps between 15 and 20 and take several deep breaths between reps towards the end of your set when you get tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    That was great. I wonder if he does anything for legs.
    Your journey ends at my feet.

*It takes effort to learn to do something without*

Quote Originally Posted by mun hung View Post
    That was great. I wonder if he does anything for legs.
    You know i dont know!

i am guessing they do basic squats...an some other exercises similiar to that with weights like dead lifts!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

I watched some "entertainers" on the boardwalk this past summer doing an incredible amount of pull ups (full stretch and then up to the sternum). One guy was whipping out about 40-50 in a clip. Sad part was that these guy looked like they never worked on their legs. I think it was one of the reasons why they were able to do so many pull ups.

Not to criticize your clip in any way, because it takes incredible upper body, core and balance to do what this guy was doing.

It was just a thought.
    Your journey ends at my feet.

*It takes effort to learn to do something without*

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Absolutely awesome upper body strength, I used to do hand stand push ups and they're a killer, never mind some of the other stuff and the slow mo hand stand stuff. Amazing balance as well.
    All that said I'd still bet that his 1" punch / short range penetrating power is pants (although I'm sure he hits much harder than your average bloke off the street).
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Absolutely awesome upper body strength, I used to do hand stand push ups and they're a killer, never mind some of the other stuff and the slow mo hand stand stuff. Amazing balance as well.
    All that said I'd still bet that his 1" punch / short range penetrating power is pants (although I'm sure he hits much harder than your average bloke off the street).
    I would say that sorta training is definite beneficial for WC training...
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"