Thread: Cloud Atlas

Cloud Atlas

I don't remember the book being that corny.

The Wachowski's suffer from the same problem Nolan does; an otherwise good story ruined by explication. They're so proud of their clever little plot they browbeat the audience with it because they have to make sure everybody understands just how clever it is.

We get it; interconnectedness.

I thought it was a decent moral play on the interrelationship/communality that we share and people benefit or lose because of that link.
    The movie could have been less time but that was OK.
    p.s. I did fall asleep withinthe first 30 minutes

You should read the novel if you haven't.

Despite its gimmicks the stories are really very good in and of themselves and the metaphysical "butterfly flaps its wings" sentimentality was graciously subtextual compared to the heavy handedness of the film.

I'm interested in seeing this, but kinda fearing the sheer length of it. If theaters had seats as comfortable as recliners, I'd go in a heartbeat.

Maybe I should read the book first.

Actually the Wachowski's suffer from the same problem as M. Night Shyamalan. The fact that they made one great movie in comparison to the movies of its time doesn't translate to being able to create another great movie. They peaked with the Matrix. It was cool and genre defining - but that's it. Boom, one-shot. They had it, now they're constantly trying to recreate that moment, but they can't and they haven't learned how to move on.

Here's my advice to those filmmakers, "Just make another good movie." It doesn't have to be mind blowing or genre defining - it just has to be good. And if you really have talent, do it without gimmicks or block buster special effects. Do it with dialogue and acting which creates unforgettable characters, beautiful cinematography, and skillful invisible editing.
    Last edited by MightyB; 10-29-2012 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Actually the Wachowski's suffer from the same problem as M. Night Shyamalan. The fact that they made one great movie in comparison to the movies of its time doesn't translate to being able to create another great movie. They peaked with the Matrix. It was cool and genre defining - but that's it. Boom, one-shot. They had it, now they're constantly trying to recreate that moment, but they can't and they haven't learned how to move on.

Here's my advice to those filmmakers, "Just make another good movie." It doesn't have to be mind blowing or genre defining - it just has to be good. And if you really have talent, do it without gimmicks or block buster special effects. Do it with dialogue and acting which creates unforgettable characters, beautiful cinematography, and skillful invisible editing.
    This.
    Well said.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post

You're argument works for Shyamalan, he keeps remaking The Sixth Sense, every movie has to have "ohhhhh, a twist". But it falls apart for the Wachowski's; the only other film besides The Matrix Trilogy and portions of Cloud Atlas that they actually directed is Speed Racer, which a lot of people actually feel is actually greatly underrated.

Also, I get the impression that you are implying am equivalence between box office receipts and good story telling, which, just, ha, no.

Anyways, the Wachowski's true genre defining work was Bound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

It was ambitious

As a film, it was a tad too much. Six story lines were too many to try and keep juggling up in the air. The constant character cameos were a clever device, but in the end, that also muddled the multiple story arcs. But still, I was entertained throughout the film. Some actors, like Hanks, Berry and Broadbent, were really easy to spot despite all the make-up. Others, like Grant surprisingly, vanished into some of the roles and I didn't realize who they were until the ending credits. It would be fun to watch the film a dozen times and then deconstruct it at some cafe with other film aficionados. At least that would be fun if I had ample disposable time, which I don't.

I enjoyed the Neo Seoul sequence the most as it was the most visionary, the most Wachowski, and summed all the messages up nicely. Those Amerasians that were complaining about white actors being made up with the ol' ***** eye were so off base. White is made up to be Asian, Asian and Black are made up to be white, male actors play female characters and vice versa. Sometimes Amerasians play the race card so poorly.

I'm still whirling some of it through my head, which is a good thing, an endorsement of a film's ability to stick with me for more than one bucket of popcorn. I'm sure there were a lot of loose ends, as well as connections that I missed. I haven't read the book, and for a fleeting moment, the film almost inspired me to do so, but that moment has passed.

There was a sword fight...well, sword vs. shiv. It was okay.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Cloud Atlas vs. Journey to the West

Oh to be a fly on the wall for that conversation...
    Stephen Chow meets up with 'Cloud Atlas' directors
    By Fan Junmei (China.org.cn)
    11:15, January 25, 2013

Hong Kong actor and director Stephen Chow(L)meets up with the Wachowski directors -- Lana and Andy in Beijing on Jan. 23.(China.org.cn)

Hong Kong actor and director Stephen Chow met up with the Wachowski directors -- Lana and Andy -- who were in Beijing to promote their new science fiction epic "Cloud Atlas" on Jan. 23.

Chow regretted missing the film's third director Tom Tykwer, who was being interviewed at that time, but hoped to catch him on another occasion.

Chow expressed his appreciation for the directors' previous works, such as "The Matrix" by the Wachowskis and "Run Lola Run" by Tykwer. Chow said he has great expectations of "Cloud Atlas" and will definitely watch it once it's released on Jan. 31.

Lana and Andy Wachowski also wished the best for Chow's new film "Journey to the West," which is up for release over the coming Chinese New Year in February.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart