Thread: The Man from Nowhere

The Man from Nowhere

Don't know if there's a thread discussing this Arse Kicking movie, but if there isn't, I just started it. If you have Netflix, do yourself a favor and check this movie out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7SSETgPRn4

It's the Korean version of Taken.

the audio's terrible on this pirated clip, but watch this fight scene. Seriously, this movie kicks some serious arse, you should check it out.

Thanks for the recommendation, MightyB!

The forum has been a bother lately, so it was reaffirming for someone to pass along a good tip. I thoroughly enjoyed this flick. It was a tasty bit of ultravi - real horrorshow! - a gritty Korean modern urban hell flick - a broken retired pro special forces dude goes up against drug-dealing organ-harvesting gangsters. At first, some of the fight scenes were done off camera, which was annoying, but when they did erupt, wow, great stuff - guns, knives, fisticuffs, broken glass and arterial sprays. It reminded me of John Woo's gangster classics - some overly sappy melodramatic bit, parsed by rapid-fire scenes of intense brutal violence. Their hairdos were a bit much. There was no sword fight, but there was a great knife fight that was totally satisfying.

I second MightyB's recommendation.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Just watched it. Wow. Just great.

I'm more and more impressed with the Korean cinema. War of arrows is next on my list
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

I've seen them both and highly recommend them both!

Another remake

New Line To Remake Korean Blockbuster ‘The Man From Nowhere’
    by Mike Fleming Jr
    June 29, 2016 12:25pm

CJ E&M

EXCLUSIVE: New Line has acquired remake rights to the 2010 Korean blockbuster The Man From Nowhere from CJ Entertainment. Directed by Lee Jeong-beom, the original Nowhere follows a quiet pawnshop keeper with a violent past who takes on a drug- and organ-trafficking ring to save the child who is his only friend. The film opened No. 1 at the Korean box office in August 2010 and held the top spot for five weeks in a row, becoming that year’s highest-grossing Korean film with a $41M gross. Dimension Films originally acquired the property for a remake, but it languished and the rights came back to CJ.
    srsly? Maybe this remake could be whitewashed.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Remake update

Looks like this is really happening so I'll split off an indie The Man From Nowhere Remake thread from the original The Man From Nowhere thread.

‘John Wick’ Creator Derek Kolstad Adapting South Korean Hit ‘The Man From Nowhere’ For New Line
    by Anthony D'Alessandro
    November 1, 2018 12:11pm

EXCLUSIVE: John Wick creator Derek Kolstad is adapting the 2010 South Korean action film The Man From Nowhere for New Line Cinema.

This is the second South Korean hit of late which New Line is putting into development for U.S. audiences. Back in September New Line beat out four other studios for the remake rights to Sang-ho Yeon’s Train to Busan, which Gary Dauberman is writing and James Wan producing. Deadline had that exclusive.

Shutterstock

The Man From Nowhere was the highest grossing film in South Korea during its year of release making $42M. The pic, directed and written by Jeong-beom Lee opened to No. 1 and held that spot for five weeks. The original film centered around a quiet pawnshop keeper with a violent past who takes on a drug-and-organ trafficking ring in hope of saving the child who is his only friend. CJ Entertainment is attached to produce the English remake.

Kolstad recently wrote Lionsgate’s John Wick: Chapter 3 which is scheduled to open on May 17. Together both John Wick movies have grossed over $260M worldwide. He wrote The Steward action movie for production and finance company Cristal Pictures. Kolstad is also behind the Fox 21 and Hulu TV series The Hitman based on the bestselling videogame from IO Interactive. He is repped by APA, Circle of Confusion and Behr Abramson Levy.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips