Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coolest college course ever

IDK - life drawing when you have the right models can be a very cool class. To me that beats stodgy old manuscript and theoretical contemplation of ancient warring methods any day.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostexorcist View Post
    I just happened upon the syllabus for a course on east Asian martial arts history at Cornell University. Why don't they have neat stuff like this at my college?

http://www.arts.cornell.edu/history/...20Hinrichs.pdf
    The problem with the premise of this class is that the old methods of training were either not written down or destroyed by the Communists. Nobody knows how the ancient warriors trained so the course would be all speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiked View Post
    The problem with the premise of this class is that the old methods of training were either not written down or destroyed by the Communists. Nobody knows how the ancient warriors trained so the course would be all speculation.
    Not true. There are in fact several extant manuals moving forward from early 16th century up and into the Qing Period.

The old methods were written down, illustrated etc and the CR didn't destroy everything. it damaged a lot, but, it didn't rub out history. There are sections of the forbidden city that have not been opened for study yet for instance that contain reams of knowledge from the past. Untouched for 100 years!

I think that many of us here in the west who have studied the southern kung fu styles have had our points of view somewhat tainted by the animosity that nationalists and communists have and had for each other. I have heard the story and even parroted it myself in regards to the CR and what it destroyed etc, It is only in the last decade or so that I've realized that this is not actually how things were and that what we were told came form a long line of whispers and political rivalry.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Not true. There are in fact several extant manuals moving forward from early 16th century up and into the Qing Period.
    I was going to tell him this, but, well, you know

Qi Jiguang's 紀效新書 and 練兵實紀 can still be read intact
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

The old methods were written down, illustrated etc and the CR didn't destroy everything. it damaged a lot, but, it didn't rub out history. There are sections of the forbidden city that have not been opened for study yet for instance that contain reams of knowledge from the past. Untouched for 100 years!

I think that many of us here in the west who have studied the southern kung fu styles have had our points of view somewhat tainted by the animosity that nationalists and communists have and had for each other. I have heard the story and even parroted it myself in regards to the CR and what it destroyed etc, It is only in the last decade or so that I've realized that this is not actually how things were and that what we were told came form a long line of whispers and political rivalry.
    Hmmm, this could be interesting. Do you have or know where I can get translated versions? What were their sparring practices like? Did they spend an enormous amount of time training forms and meditating on their possible techniques? Thanks, David.

Thanks, David.
    you're welcome

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

There are many, many manuals and historical documents that explicitly say how military people trained in past dynasties.

Of course, for lazy people, learning Chinese or even doing a search in Google or Baidu is too much to ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    you're welcome
    Thank you, David Ross, for giving admitting defeat like a man. Even though you did not actually admit it the fact you are following all my posts shows how butt hurt you are.

Bawang, come help him. The great and powerful David Ross needs you but pay no attention to the hobbit behind the curtain. lol

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    There are many, many manuals and historical documents that explicitly say how military people trained in past dynasties.

Of course, for lazy people, learning Chinese or even doing a search in Google or Baidu is too much to ask for.
    he has already said that he relies upon his memory and yet proven he never seems to remember things correctly

take your beating like a man... you pathetic troll....

you know the forum isn't going to be distracted so easily, they have seen through you already

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post

It is definitely too much to ask for especially since I am busy producing fighters that are destroying the competition.

Learning Chinese? You are serious? People in this country need to learn English first. Forget Chinese.

"spiked" has now been exposed

see him squirm

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    take your beating like a man... you pathetic troll....

you know the forum isn't going to be distracted so easily, they have seen through you already
    The forum does not care as it is not a hive mind controlled by you. You will undoubtedly follow me around until someone notices because I hurt your wittle feelings. Why do you need so much attention? Someone hug him please.

Hmmm, this could be interesting. Do you have or know where I can get translated versions? What were their sparring practices like? Did they spend an enormous amount of time training forms and meditating on their possible techniques? Thanks, David.
    Translated versions are not easy to obtain.
    some you will find in translated and reinterpreted versions.
    But like most old books, they are not updated, translated etc.

To that end, people out there that actually do research are helpful. Yang Jwing Ming as translated many old manuals and modernized the presentation of the material. Dr.Meir Shahar has recently released a really great resource on Shaolin that indicates much about the manuals etc, who wrote them and there is a large list of citations in this book as well. Worth investigating.

It takes real effort to dive into this stuff. But it's not that it isn't there to dive into. But do you have a few years?(decades) lol

You could train to fight, meditate, spar etc and do it well without even knowing about any of it. We are all human and though some of us work hard to do special things, no one has anything particularly magic to offer.

To be sure and this has been indicated several times now, the Ancient Shaolin were most well versed in work with the staff. Little is available on pugilism, but there is some. Anyway, I would recommend reading Shahar's book an take it from there. The citations are many. Those will keep you busy for a long time.

here's the amazon link: http://www.amazon.ca/The-Shaolin-Mon.../dp/082483349X

Also, you could read Gene's stuff. always an interesting tidbit or two in that.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 10-24-2013 at 10:47 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

"spiked" has been pegged

did it hurt?