Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coolest college course ever

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Translated versions are not easy to obtain.
    some you will find in translated and reinterpreted versions.
    But like most old books, they are not updated, translated etc.

To that end, people out there that actually do research are helpful. Yang Jwing Ming as translated many old manuals and modernized the presentation of the material. Dr.Meir Shahar has recently released a really great resource on Shaolin that indicates much about the manuals etc, who wrote them and there is a large list of citations in this book as well. Worth investigating.

It takes real effort to dive into this stuff. But it's not that it isn't there to dive into. But do you have a few years?(decades) lol

You could train to fight, meditate, spar etc and do it well without even knowing about any of it. We are all human and though some of us work hard to do special things, no one has anything particularly magic to offer.

To be sure and this has been indicated several times now, the Ancient Shaolin were most well versed in work with the staff. Little is available on pugilism, but there is some. Anyway, I would recommend reading Shahar's book an take it from there. The citations are many. Those will keep you busy for a long time.

here's the amazon link: http://www.amazon.ca/The-Shaolin-Mon.../dp/082483349X
    Thanks, David JAMIESON. I know a person can learn to do all that without the knowledge. Some would be good to have when someone is saying, "Well this is how my sifu trained, and his sifu before him" and on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiked View Post
    Thanks, David JAMIESON.
    careful Jamieson, I smell a mancrush
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

It is definitely too much to ask for especially since I am busy producing fighters that are destroying the competition.

Learning Chinese? You are serious? People in this country need to learn English first. Forget Chinese.
    You are right. I would recommend before learning a difficult language developing critical thinking first. Does your training cause you to lose brain cells?

You also have to get the pee pee out of your anoos.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    careful Jamieson, I smell a mancrush
    It is better than the smell from that dirty gym of yours. Mothers with kids on yelp do not lie.

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    You are right. I would recommend before learning a difficult language developing critical thinking first. Does your training cause you to lose brain cells?

You also have to get the pee pee out of your anoos.
    Getting hit in the head does indeed kill brain cells. If you did not know that then we cannot continue chatting.

Qi Jiguang is a must read for any serious researcher

Qi Jiguang's 紀效新書 and 練兵實紀 can still be read intact
    Check out Peter Lorge's discussion Qi Jiguang in a modern context on our ezine: What MMA Has to Teach Us about Chinese Martial Arts. Then check out Peter Lorge's work: Chinese Martial Arts: From Antiquity to the Twenty-First Century by Peter Lorge.

There's also an old thread here: Qi Jiguang's chapter on boxing in English.

Just like the eyes lead the fists, a little searching before posting is always prudent here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

you have to have had brain cells to damage them

I note that "spiked" is making more friends every minute he is on here

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

you have to have had brain cells to damage them

I note that "spiked" is making more friends every minute he is on here
    I have real friends, David Ross. I do not need people on the internet to like me. Are you one of those people that payed for twitter followers? Lol. I knew it!

Getting hit in the head does indeed kill brain cells. If you did not know that then we cannot continue chatting.
    Maybe I'm crazy but I typically teach my students how to hold their hands up and use footwork to avoid getting hit as much as they can. After many years of training I can still learn a new language, do math problems, write software...useful things. You came into this thread with presumptions, and got bent out of shape when you find out learning something new is actually going require effort.

Your brand of meathead is a disgrace to the rest of us who train in modern martial arts.

Maybe I'm crazy but I typically teach my students how to hold their hands up and use footwork to avoid getting hit as much as they can. After many years of training I can still learn a new language, do math problems, write software...useful things. You came into this thread with presumptions, and got bent out of shape when you find out learning something new is actually going require effort.

Your brand of meathead is a disgrace to the rest of us who train in modern martial arts.
    Bent out of shape????? Lol.

I just have one question. You do know that getting hit in the head KILLS brain cells right? Did you know that before i brought it up to you? I am not sure now. OH my god.

Are you insinuating that your students never get hit in the head???? They must be amazing and you must be an amazing teacher...or you guys are not really sparring.
    Last edited by Spiked; 10-24-2013 at 11:07 AM.

DAvid, are you happy? Now one of your pals is trolling me as well.

Are you two going to destroy every thread I post on?

DAvid, are you happy? Now one of your pals is trolling me as well.

Are you two going to destroy every thread I post on?
    if it upsets you then you can contact Gene and ask him to ban us

or you can just leave.... don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out

if it upsets you then you can contact Gene and ask him to ban us

or you can just leave.... don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out
    You do not bother me at all because the fighters I produce are so amazing.

yup, brain damage
    he has no new maerial

and the old material wasn't good to begin with

I say you just pack up and leave, Gene said when you leave he'll give everyone nacho popcorn

Bent out of shape????? Lol.

I just have one question. You do know that getting hit in the head KILLS brain cells right? Did you know that before i brought it up to you? I am not sure now. OH my god.

Are you insinuating that your students never get hit in the head???? They must be amazing and you must be an amazing teacher...or you guys are not really sparring.
    I've "insinuated" that you are as dumb as rocks. Now whether that is your training prerogative to be "punch dumb", something your mother did to you while young, or something innate, I don't know. But in nearly every post you've had seems to be a gaping wound of stupidity.