Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Slightly OT

Must...post...here...

The Power of the Dark Side: Gun-Wielding 'Darth Vader' Robs Bank

As seen on Fox and Friends

One of the greatest and most iconic villains in cinematic history has struck again. Well, kind of.

A man wearing a Darth Vader mask and dark clothing robbed a Pineville, North Carolina, bank Monday, according to authorities.

Police say the Sith Lord entered the Pineville State Employees Credit Union shortly before noon armed not with a lightsaber, but a long rifle. He demanded money from a bank teller and fled the scene in a four-door gray Chevy Suburban SUV - not a TIE fighter.

The suspect reportedly escaped with thousands of dollars. No one was injured during the robbery.

Witnesses told police the man was shorter than his towering "Star Wars" inspiration, standing approximately 5-feet-5-inches tall.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Pineville Police Department's Criminal Investigations Division at 704-889-2231.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Awesome !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Trailer 2

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chewy and Solo ! I'm there!

Guess where I'll be Christmas afternoon?

Imax

'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Set to Take Over Imax for a Month

Disney
    by Gregg Kilday
    8/26/2015 7:30am PDT

Disney's reboot will take over Imax’s large-format pioneer's screens for four weeks, knocking out all would-be competitors (Sorry, 'In the Heart of the Sea' and 'The Revenant').

This story first appeared in the Sept. 4 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.

For Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Imax is going big — really big. For the first four weeks of its run, set to begin Dec. 18, J.J. Abrams' sequel will have all of Imax's large-format screens in North America and most of its foreign screens to itself. Imax reserving all of its screens for a single movie for a month is not unprecedented, but it is unusual. The company had a similar deal for the three Hobbit movies, but it struck that pact four years ago and hasn't made that type of commitment since.

In June, Imax broke its own opening-weekend record when Jurassic World leapfrogged over Iron Man 3's $28.8 million to grab $44.2 million worldwide — $21 million from 363 domestic screens and $23.2 million from 443 screens abroad. But Disney's Star Wars could topple that number. It is expected to open on 375 to 400 screens domestically and more than 400 abroad — there's no exact count yet because Imax tends to install and open theaters in the fall. Domestically, Force will play in the commercial chains such as Regal, AMC and Cinemark that house Imax screens as well as most museums and other sites with Imax theaters (which have played space-related Hollywood fare including Gravity and Interstellar). Although he declines to discuss specifics, Imax Entertainment CEO Greg Foster expresses his confidence in the film, saying, "Star Wars: Episode VII is the ultimate crossover movie — it crosses over to everyone." A further factor: Abrams, a fan of the format, has filmed a sequence with Imax cameras to take advantage of the oversized screen.

Rival distributors have resigned themselves to Force taking over Imax screens — and their premium ticket prices — during the holidays. November releases such as Sony's Spectre and Lionsgate's The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 2, which have Imax dates, will wind down by Dec. 18. Warner Bros.' In the Heart of the Sea, set to open Dec. 11, will get only one week in Imax. Fox's The Revenant, set to go wide Jan. 8, might get a crack at Imax screens by the Jan. 15 weekend. So far, Imax hasn't announced any January bookings beyond a Jan. 29 opening for Disney's The Finest Hours. But if moviegoers really are feeling the force, then Star Wars could dominate Imax screens even beyond that.
    They better have THX sound too.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Just in case you haven't seen it...

Gonna be huge.

Star Wars absolutely crushed movie ticket websites
    by Claire Groden
    October 20, 2015, 8:42 AM EDT

Fandango and MovieTickets were down for the count

Popular movie ticket sales websites, including Fandango and Movietickets.com, crashed briefly Monday evening shortly after beginning ticket sales for the upcoming Star Wars film, The Force Awakens.

The movie opens Dec. 18, but Star Wars fans flooded the two sites to snap up tickets, Bloomberg reports. Earlier on Monday, a British theater chain Odeon & UCI Cinemas Group said that it experienced record demand for online ticket sales for the movie. And before Movetickets.com appeared to succumb to overwhelming interest, The Force Awakens had already become its number-one seller, accounting for 44% of total ticket sales in the past 24 hours.

Fortune reached out to Fandango and MovieTickets.com for comment; we will update this post with any update.

Analysts are already predicting that the new Star Wars installment will be one of the top-grossing box office hits ever. Benjamin Swinburne at Morgan Stanley said in June that he expected the movie to bring in $650 million in the United States and nearly $2 billion globally for Walt Disney Co., which bought Lucasfilm in 2012, according to Fortune.

If Swinburne is right, Star Wars would take the bronze for top-grossing movies globally, placing after Avatar, which has grossed more than $2.78 billion to date, and Titanic, which netted $2.18 billion. Of course, that isn’t accounting for merchandise sales, expected to be well into the billions of dollars.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Stormtroopers take the Great Wall

China Star Wars mania: Stormtroopers take the Great Wall during trailer debut (PHOTO)
    Published time: 20 Oct, 2015 23:43

© Jason Lee / Reuters

Chinese Star Wars fans got their fill of excitement when the new ‘The Force Awakens’ trailer debuted on the Great Wall of China on Tuesday evening, with hundreds of iconic Stormtroopers appearing on the wall, shocking the awestruck public and media.
    The campaign titled The Force Awakens on the Great Wall kicked off on October 20.

© Jason Lee / Reuters
    The Walt Disney Company organized the massive event on the Juyongguan section of the Great Wall of China.

© Jason Lee / Reuters
    Countless fans and media attended the mind-blowing presentation of the Chinese version of The Force trailer.

© Jason Lee / Reuters
    The finale was the best part: five hundred iconic Stormtroopers from Star Wars popped up on the Great Wall of China, taking the fans’ breath away.

© Jason Lee / Reuters
    Chinese characters “yuan,” “li,” “jue,” and “xing” – meaning “The Force Awakens” – lit up on top of four of the towers.

© Jason Lee / Reuters
    Over 200 hardcore sci-fi saga fans screamed with excitement and offered endless applause.

© Jason Lee / Reuters
    The US version of the trailer was released a day earlier during the halftime break of a National Football League game broadcast by ESPN.

Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens is coming out in December in the US and will be available in China a month later.
    They should have cast a Chinese lead instead of John Boyega, just to capture that China market. Oh wait, they are already doing that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Silly conjecture...

...but what with these theories of Luck being Kylo Ren, and the mention of Shaolin Monks and Drunken Style, I could not resist posting this here.

What If Jar Jar Was A Sith Lord? The Shockingly Plausible Theory That's Rocking Star Wars Fandom
    By Robin Parrish, Tech Times | November 2, 2:54 PM

Was Jar Jar Binks secret a Sith Lord? It sounds nuts until you read the evidence provided by a very clever Reddit user. Could it be that George Lucas had something astonishing planned for the despised Gungan?
    (Photo : Lucasfilm Ltd.)

It sounds like nonsense. Jar Jar Binks, the evil mastermind behind the formation of the Empire? Superior to (or at least in league with) Chancellor Palpatine?

But after you read the full text of this wild theory, originally posted on Reddit, it's surprisingly hard to discount. With meticulous detail, Redditor "Lumpawarroo" walks readers through one piece of evidence after another that supports his outlandish theory. And the craziest part of all is how much sense it makes.

The crux of the argument boils down to this. The original Star Wars trilogy was built around a major dramatic twist — the reveal of Darth Vader being Luke Skywalker's father. It was even filmed in secret to keep it from leaking. Luke finding out the truth about his lineage is the pivotal moment of the entire trilogy, and it worked because it was this huge secret that no one saw coming.

Lumpawarroo argues that George Lucas tried to outdo himself with another surprise twist in the prequels. But how do you create a more shocking twist than "I am your father"? By creating a buffoonish, over-the-top character who's supposedly there for comic relief, but who's actually something far more sinister hiding in plain sight.

"As we know, the Jedi themselves are inspired by Shaolin Monks," says Lumpawarroo in his Reddit post, "and there's a particular kung fu discipline that Jar Jar's physicality is purposefully modeled upon which allows him to appear goofy and uncoordinated even as he lays waste to his enemies; namely, Zui Quan, or Drunken Fist wushu."

(Photo : Lucasfilm Ltd.)

He follows this proposal with evidence comparing shots of Jar Jar's movements in The Phantom Menace with footage of an actual Drunken Fist master. The similarities are remarkable. There's much, much more, such as the fact that Palpatine and Jar Jar are both from the same planet (Naboo) and subtle ways that Jar Jar manipulated Anakin. But he argues that not only is Jar Jar an evil Sith Lord, he's a master of Force mind control. Nowhere is this more evident than in Attack of the Clones, when he casually waves his hands at the entire Senate and they erupt into applause at his proposal of granting emergency powers to Palpatine — a move that paves the way for the Empire.

So if this was the plan, why was it never paid off? Lumpawarroo has a theory on this as well.

"I think that Jar Jar was initially intended to be the prequel (and Dark Side) equivalent of Yoda. Just as Yoda has his 'big reveal' when we learn that his tottering, geriatric goofball persona is just a mask, Jar Jar was intended to have a big reveal in Episode II or III where we learn that he's not really a naive dope, but rather a master puppeteer Sith in league with (or perhaps in charge of) Palpatine. However, [Lucas] chickened out. The fan reaction to Jar Jar was so vitriolic that this aspect of the trilogy was abandoned."

There's so much more to this theory and Star Wars fans owe it to themselves to read the entire thing — not to mention the countless replies that supply the theory with even more evidence. Lumpawarroo even goes so far as to suggest that Jar Jar could turn up as Supreme Leader Snoke in Disney's new Star Wars trilogy!

Since posting his theory just 48 hours ago, already fans have put together a website to support it, and a new Sub-Reddit has been created to expand on it.

What do you think? Might Jar Jar have been the most manipulative character in the prequels? And could he show up again someday?

What would his Sith "Darth" name be?
    I hope there's a Gungan in The Force Awakens.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Check out the Japanese trailer!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This week....

Remember this?

J.J. Abrams Says ‘The Raid’ Stars Are “Incredible” in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’
    Posted on Friday, December 11th, 2015 by Peter Sciretta

Three of the main actors from Gareth Evans’ The Raid and The Raid 2 have roles in J.J. Abrams‘ Star Wars: The Force Awakens. How did The Raid series star Iko Uwais, Yayan Ruhian (who played Mad Dog and Prakoso in the films) and Cecep Arif Rahman (who played “The Assassin” and fought in the kitchen finale of the sequel) make it into the new Star Wars film? I asked director J.J. Abrams for details and here is what he told me about The Raid stars in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

At the Star Wars: The Force Awakens press junket I asked filmmaker JJ Abrams how the stars of The Raid became involved in The Force Awakens. Here is what Abrams said:

I was just a fan. It was an opportunity. I knew we needed people for this one sequence that would be particularly fun to see a group of people working together. It was simply just as I had seen John Boyega in Attack The Block and thought “how cool would it be to work with that guy one day?” and the opportunity arose and it worked out. And opportunity arose for this and I thought “God, I wonder if the dudes from The Raid would be available?” And to my amazement, and they were willing, and they were incredible. They showed up and did a terrific job.
    That said, Abrams warned me that they don’t have a huge role in the film:

Not enormous roles in the movie, but wonderful to have them in the film.
    Uwais and Ruhian not only starred in The Raid films but choreographed the film’s critically acclaimed action sequences. If you’ve never seen either of the movies (well, just do it), but here is an amazing action sequence from the second film:

So what role do they play in the upcoming Star Wars movie? Did they choreograph a cool lightsaber duel? I’ve heard their roles and their contribution has nothing to do with the Force or lightsabers.

Possible information on what roles and scene they will feature into follows…

Toys showing a character named Tasu Leech have convinced some fans that he is played by one of The Raid actors — he looks most like Yayan Ruhian. The official Star Wars databank tells us that Tasu Leech “leads the notorious Kanjiklub gang, an intergalactic criminal organization.”

The character is presented as a minifig in a Millennium Falcon LEGO set alongside a “Kanjiklub gang member,” who could easily be one of the other stars from The Raid. So it looks like the action sequence that involves The Raid crew has something to do with the Millennium Falcon.
    And just in case you aren't getting enough Star Wars this week, check this out on our Chinese Counterfeits thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tr-8r!

STORMBLOOPER! Aspiring English actor caught out pretending to be man behind the Star Wars mask
    Alex Rolt claimed on Twitter that he played stormtrooper in Star Wars film
    The 23-year-old became an internet sensation, gaining praises for his role
    Lucasfilm revealed the claim was a lie and role was played by Liang Yang

By JABER MOHAMED and MARK NICOL FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY
    PUBLISHED: 19:02 EST, 9 January 2016 | UPDATED: 12:14 EST, 10 January 2016

It was every young actor’s dream to land a starring role in the new Star Wars film.
    But Alex Rolt bit off more than he could chew when he claimed he had played a stormtrooper who has become a fans’ favourite in the latest box office record breaker.
    The 23-year-old hitherto unknown actor from West Sussex became an internet sensation when he revealed he had played the masked stormtrooper who shouts ‘traitor’ in an intense fight scene with John Boyega’s character, Finn.

An aspiring actor from West Sussex bit off more than he could chew when he claimed he had played a stormtrooper who has become a fans’ favourite in the latest box office record breaker

Alex Rolt (pictured), 23, had a small part in the film but did not play the stormtrooper in the film as he claimed

But Rolt was forced into a grovelling apology last night after he was unmasked as a fantasist who only had a bit-part as an extra in the hit movie.
    Fans were impressed when Rolt said he had played the stormtrooper in an interview with his local paper.
    The drama school graduate claimed he had been chosen to face off against Boyega because of his fencing experience.
    He said: ‘They got me in the stormtrooper outfit but the prop didn’t have a clip or anything on the uniform, so I had to hold it in a certain way then deliver the line: “Traitor!” ’

Lucasfilm revealed the role in Star Wars: The Force Awakens was really played by veteran stuntman Liang Yang (above)

The interview was picked up on social media, and Rolt was lavished with praise from fans around the world.
    He tweeted: ‘Response I’ve had to playing this character has been phenomenal, thank you.’
    But the young pretender was exposed by the film’s production company Lucasfilm when it revealed the role in Star Wars: The Force Awakens was really played by veteran stuntman Liang Yang.
    Rolt apologised on Twitter, saying: ‘Sorry for doing this to all the fans.Was a joke that got out of hand. My career is tarnished.’
    He was unavailable for comment.

Other martial artists did appear
    Crystal Clarke = Ensign Goode
    Pip Andersen = Lead Stormtrooper
    Iko Uwais = Razoo Quin-Fee
    Yayan Ruhian = Tasu Leech
    Cecep Arif Rahman: no credit
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Iko on The Force Awakens

Looks like Cecep Arif Rahman was in it. Strange that his name didn't come up on IMDB when I did the search yesterday.

Actor Iko Uwais. Tempo/ Aditia Noviansyah
    HOME INTERVIEW
    TUESDAY, 22 DECEMBER, 2015 | 13:22 WIB
    Iko Uwais: I'm not an actor, I just play the role of a fighter

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The name Iko Uwais began to grab public attention since his first film Merantau ('Sojourn') was screened in movie theaters around the country. Then, one after another, the films he starred in made it into the market, like The Raid: Redemption and The Raid 2: Berandal. Both films, directed by Gareth Evans, were quite successful in the United States and Europe.

From then on, there was nowhere else to go except Hollywood. Together with his co-stars in the Raid film series, Yayan Ruhian and Cecep Arif Rahman, Iko is now featured in Disney's latest production Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which was released last week. Iko plays the role of Razoo QinFee, a member of an intergalactic crime gang called Kanjiklu, led by Tasu Leech (played by Yayan).

For Iko, acting in a Hollywood film means carrying the Indonesia name onto the world stage, doing his best to be the pencak silat (traditional martial arts) ambassador in every international movie he is involved in. Besides the Star Wars sequel, he also appears in Man of Tai Chi, Beyond Skyline and Mile 22 (still in production).

Naturally, by acting in those films, Iko gets the chance to meet some Hollywood heavyweights, like J.J. Abrams, Harrison Ford, Frank Grillo, Jackie Chan, Keanu Reeves and Peter Berg. "To be honest, I feel slightly overwhelmed by them. Who am I?" recounted Iko, who should have been on the red carpet at the premiere of Star Wars in Hollywood last week. Instead, he was back home working on a film project.

Tempo reporters Tulus Wijanarko, Tito Sianipar, Dini Pramita and Cheta Nelawaty, were able to interview Iko on two separate occasions, the latest being last week in Jakarta. Excerpts:

How did you get to be in the mega movie Star Wars?

This was a Gareth Evans project, which he got from Management 360 in the US. He had it back in 2014, during the fasting month, while we were promoting The Raid 2 in the US. But he kept it a secret. He scheduled us to meet directly with (Star Wars director) J.J. Abrams.

Who were at that meeting?

Abrams with his management team, including his producer. I was with Yayan because Gareth had another meeting elsewhere. He told us about his plan, suggesting some ideas he got from The Raid team, and he understood that we were the choreographers. Right there, we showed him some of our moves, and he became very interested. But I did reject some of his ideas. He said, "Wow, that's cool. But Iko, this is a movie for a general audience." (laughing).

At that time, were you told about the role of Razoo Qin-Fee?

Not yet. We were told only after we tried on our costumes, because they were complicated and very detailed. It had various layers of material, because for action, they had to be loose and comfortable. And we had to wear boots, parts of which pressed on our bodies, like a mat on our stomachs. That made it difficult for us to do complex and fast movements. After trying (the costumes on), we were told about the characters we would be acting out.

At that first meeting, had you agreed to do the part?

Yes, I did. I saw it as a very big opportunity, not for me personally, but also for Indonesia. Star Wars, after all, is not just a movie. It's become a world film culture, beyond the US. And, thanks be to God, now Indonesia is seen as a place for film collaborations. This movie is big. It's a legend and used up a huge budget.

Did Abrams mention he was a fan of The Raid?

Yes, he said he had watched The Raid 1. He was frank and open about it, saying he liked the style but because it was a film for general audiences, not all types of (choreography) could be included.

What's Abrams like?

He's very friendly. At every shooting, he visited us and he would say, "Wow, neat. How are you guys? Everything okay?" He really cares about the actors. Someone like J.J. Abrams talking to us nobodies that made us feel good. He interacted directly with the actors, never used go-betweens to convey his message.

How long was the shooting?

Yayan and I went first to the UK for a two-week shoot, because we also created the choreography. In the middle of our practice, Kang Cecep arrived. Then we tried the costumes and practiced at the set.

How much of a choreography did you contribute in Star Wars?

All (of my suggestions) were accepted. Usually, we would need one take and they would be happy. But in Indonesian film productions, one scene would need at least 10 takes.

You did one scene with Harrison Ford. What was that like?

That was something. Who doesn't know Harrison Ford? Actually, we had met before the shoot. He came down from the set and we were inside our tent, he passed by and saw us. He came to us, and shook our hands, one by one. Wow, we shook hands with Harrison Ford.

Did you carry on a conversation?

He sat next to me, and we struck up a conversation. He asked us where we came from and he answered back that the he had once been to Indonesia, to (document) cases involving forests.

Does he still care about Indonesian forests?

He still does, and he still remembers everything about his trip here, including his meeting with the minister (of Forestry, Zulkifli Hasan). He said, "I was upset, but he just laughed. I wonder why?"

(Harrison Ford met with Minister Zulkifli Hasan on September 9, 2013 in relation to a film documentary titled Years of Living Dangerously. The video with Ford and Zulkifli can be seen on YouTube).

Is it true there's a clause in your contract about not leaking out anything about Star Wars before its premier screening?

That's right. We signed on that we would not say anything. Even when we did our studio shoot, our handphones were sealed by a barcode. There were sensors that can detect if those barcodes were broken. When one guy asked to have his picture taken, his handphone was immediately taken away and the film erased. I also received a call at one time, because they thought I had made a video recording (of a scene). I was checked by the security. Secrecy was of the utmost importance. (*)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I still haven't seen it yet. I will be checking it out a little later, maybe next week. It deserves to be seen in a theater.

I saw The Revenant yesterday instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I still haven't seen it yet. I will be checking it out a little later, maybe next week. It deserves to be seen in a theater.
    Saw it a couple weeks ago.

Pretty good, even for a rerun

Spoiler:

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2016/01/...ler-alert-pic/