Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Temple OZ

Inneresting...

Shoalhaven council: Shaolin Temple buy back option voted out
    March 18, 2015, 9:52 a.m.

Shoalhaven City Council has voted to cancel its option to buy back the Shaolin Temple site should the development not go ahead.

At the council meeting on Tuesday night the majority of councillors voted not to enforce the deed.

Shoalhaven Mayor Joanna Gash told the ABC on Wednesday the buyback right was not something she believed council would have been likely to call in anyway.

“Why should council be able to purchase it back,” she asked.

“We don’t do that with any other developer.

“We sold that land. We got a pretty fair price for it.

“Why would we want to purchase it back anyway?

“Councillors are entitled to change their mind on certain things and that’s obviously what happened,” she said.

Councillor Andrew Guile made no bones about the fact he thought it was an option the city should have kept.

“The Shaolin deal was dodgy from day one yet in the last Council we worked to build in some protections for Shoalhaven ratepayers with the introduction of a buy back option should the Chinese developers not fulfill the terms of their application and not build the temple.

“There were a number of options to protect ratepayers’ interests and Council has enthusiastically gone for one that doesn’t. We now have no way of ensuring that the Planning Assessment Commission approval for the temple, village and hotel complex will go ahead.

“The Shaolin can sell it off to the highest bidder with the now massive master plan approval for the site.

“Or they can sit on their asset and just wait now that we have given away all leverage over the site,” he said.

On social media councillor Amanda Findley made her frustration at the decision clear.

"I am shaking in white rage. Tonight Shoalhaven City Council decided to not pursue a deed over the Comberton Grange Land should Shaolin not be able or willing to build on the land," she wrote.

"This would have meant that council had the first right to purchase at the sale price . My rage is because one week ago they unanimously thought it was a great way forward and this week are unable to explain their change of mind.

"I don't normally feel this amount of rage but this has me boiling.

"Apparently they think this sale was a great deal that will never be repeated and that Comberton Grange is essentially a burden to the ratepayer.

southcoastregister.com.au
    My Buddhist side is amused, given the whole landowner austerity of Buddhist monks.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

So in the end we do not even need to put the circus in, we can drop that and just do the sub division.
    Money money we will see
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

And publicity

200 mill is a staggering number for OZ. The entire population of OZ is only 23,787,600 as of 25 March 2015.

200 million to see Shaolin story
    By ADAM WRIGHT
    March 24, 2015, 5:57 p.m.

HELLO CHINA: Shoalhaven Mayor Joanna Gash, chairperson of the Shoalhaven Tourism Board Catherine Shields and council’s tourism manager Steve Lawson take part in a Chinese television interview about the Shaolin Temple.
    See your ad here

THE official news agency of China was in Nowra on Tuesday filming a story about the Shaolin’s move into Australia, specifically the Shoalhaven.

China’s Xinhua News Agency believes its audience of 200 million viewers has a strong interest in the Shaolin’s first temple to be built outside China.

The news agency’s Sydney Correspondent Marcus Casey said his Beijing headquarters was very interested in the story of Shaolin coming to Australia.

“They asked us to prepare a report on the first Shaolin temple outside China and to explain where the Shoalhaven is,” Mr Casey said.

“Shoalhaven is a great destination, and Chinese tourists are now the major market for NSW.

“This country aims to please those visitors, and we want to tell our audience that is what it will do,” he said.

Shoalhaven Mayor Joanna Gash was joined by council’s tourism manager Steve Lawson and chairperson of the Shoalhaven Tourism Board Catherine Shields to explain where the temple project was up to and how the local tourism industry was gearing up to support it.

“We have had a fair bit of international media asking us about the temple,” Cr Gash said.

“Our aim is to encourage people to come to the Shoalhaven and have a look,” she said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well I didn't count, but they specified "tourism" so many times it's clear we are specifically not talking about "residential" aspects atm

low key start

‘Low-key’ temple work to begin early next year
    June 11, 2015, 4:17 p.m.

SITE INSPECTION: Abbot Shi Yongxin and his entourage tour the site of the Shaolin complex at Comberton Grange.
    See your ad here

The timeframe was mentioned during a visit by Abbot Shi Yongxin who toured the proposed Shaolin Temple site at Comberton Grange on Wednesday.

The Abbot brought world-renowned architect and Professor at RMIT Boston University, Yung Ho Chang to view the site and discuss plans for the temple with Shoalhaven Mayor Joanna Gash and senior staff.

Cr Gash said the visit provided the perfect opportunity to learn more about the latest plans for the only Shaolin Temple complex to be built in Australia.

She said the Abbot used his time in the Shoalhaven to confirm his commitment for the use of local materials and tradespeople during construction.

The Abbot also confirmed that the temple complex would be constructed in a staged process with the meditation centre, spiritual and wellbeing complex and Kung Fu centre making up the first stage.

“Today’s visit by Abbot Shi Yongxin provided a fantastic opportunity to get an update on the Shaolin Temple Complex project and to allow the Abbot to reacquaint himself with the Comberton Grange site,” Cr Gash said.

“Of particular note was the Abbot’s insistence that local tradespeople, skills and materials would be used throughout the development.

“This included the use of a local architect who will be used to assist the world renowned Professor Chang in developing the plans for stage one of the project.

“The commitment to using local tradespeople and materials is obviously fantastic news for the local area and will assist in providing a massive shot in the arm for the local economy.

“The Abbot said stage one of the project would represent a low key start to the development and again stated that he wanted the complex to have a very strong focus on spirituality and the mind.”

Cr Gash said she was pleased to learn that the Abbot was committed to delivering a sustainable and environmentally friendly development.

“The Abbot said one of his major focuses for the first stage of the development would be ensuring that the complex produced only a very small carbon footprint.”
    Hopefully I can get more info on this project at the The-4th-Shaolin-Cultural-Festival-San-Francisco-CA-Oct-8-11-2015
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

And of course...

..there was backlash...

Questions aplenty over why the local media was excluded from the Shaolin Abbot’s visit
    June 14, 2015, 4:05 p.m.

THE timing was mysterious. A press release from Shoalhaven City Council revealing Shaolin Abbot Shi Yongxin and renowned architect Yung Ho Chang had paid a visit to the Comberton Grange site on which they plan to build a temple and tourist complex was dispatched at 7.30 on Wednesday night. But that’s not the point.

The local media consternation related to the fact the release was issued after the event. With such a high-profile visitor in charge of such a significant and contentious local project, most media outlets would have jumped at the opportunity to be present and to put to the abbot questions the community want answered.

Instead, what we got was a sanitised version of events.

We are told the reason it was not issued until 7.30pm was that the site visit went for some time; the mayor then had to go to Ulladulla for the community ice forum and was unable to sign off on the release until that late hour in the news cycle.

Given we were not invited to attend – because, we were told, the abbot wanted the visit to remain private – we will pose the questions we would have liked to put to him and to Mayor Gash – here.

To the abbot, have you abandoned your desire to proceed with the housing subdivision and golf course, knocked on the head by the Planning Assessment Commission? Will you attempt to have PAC’s ruling overturned at a later date?

To Mayor Gash, why won’t Shoalhaven City Council adopt a motion in support of the PAC decision on the scale of the Shaolin project? Would this not calm the troubled waters between yourself and your local counterparts in the NSW government?

And finally, to all, if the abbot so desperately wanted this visit to be kept private why was it detailed in a council press with accompanying, uncaptioned photographs? If this was an attempt at tight media management, it was clumsy and ill-considered.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Yeah
    what made them think it matters what they say?

Temple ‘dead in the water,’ says Watson

Temple ‘dead in the water,’ says Watson

By ROBERT CRAWFORD South Coast Register
    Aug. 9, 2015, 2:37 p.m.

THE Shaolin Temple at Falls Creek is “dead in the water”, according to Shoalhaven councillor and one of the orchestrators of the project, Greg Watson.

Cr Watson, although not wanting to comment on revelations Abbot Shi Yongxin is under investigation by China’s religious administration following allegations of multiple sexual relations and embezzlement, said as soon as the consent was given by the Planning Assessment Commission (PAC) the project became unviable.

The PAC granted approval for the $380 million Shaolin tourism complex at Comberton Grange but with strict conditions.

PAC approved the concept plan but excluded the golf course and residential precincts of the proposal and has advised that the hotel precinct should also be moved.

Cr Watson prefaced his comments, saying he had had “no involvement with Shaolin since 2007”.

“My own personal view was the project was dead in the water ever since the PAC consent was issued,” he said.

“The consent wasn’t viable even without the current scandals.

“Unless it [the project] could introduce some income stream, which was with a limited number of residential dwellings, there was no way you can fund it.

“That is the bottom line and has always been the case.

“How could you put in a 500 room hotel, primarily aiming at the Asian market, without a golf course?

“They all want to play golf.”

Cr Watson said PAC’s decision was an “absolute disgrace”.

“The decision PAC made, they might as well just refused it outright,” he said.

“The approval they gave made the project unviable.

“It’s an absolute disgrace the state government allowed it to happen.”

His views differ from those of Shoalhaven Mayor Joanna Gash, who despite all the controversy facing the abbot earlier this week, said she was confident the project would still go ahead.

“People need to understand the abbot is the abbot and the Shaolin Temple Foundation is the Shaolin Temple Foundation, they are separate entities,” she said.

“As far as I’m concerned it changes nothing. It is not a Shaolin Foundation issue. It is a private issue for the abbot and those who are investigating it.”
    Last edited by Seadragon; 08-09-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Pang bounces

Patrick Pang leaves Shaolin Foundation
    By Robert Crawford Nov. 18, 2015, 3:30 p.m.

Patrick Pang

THE passionate local advocate for the proposed Shaolin Temple at Falls Creek has left the organisation.

Patrick Pang has been the Shaolin’s Australian spokesperson, a director of the Shaolin Foundation and the driver of the $380 million Shaolin Temple Complex at Comberton Grange for 11 years.

Mr Pang confirmed on Tuesday he was no longer part of development team.

“I’m not really involved in the project now,” he said.

“I have been away from the project for quite some time.

“I gave the project 11 years of my life.

“I’ve gone through all the government planning processes and been kicked around a lot.

“I’m happy to be out.”

He said he did his best to get the project up and running.

“I’m happy with my contribution. Eleven years is a long time,” he said.

“I wanted to do other things.

“While I was part of the Shaolin project, I couldn’t really do that.

“I’m back doing what I love best.

“I have new energy.”

Along with a business partner he is trying to establish a factory in China to develop lithium batteries for solar panels.

“We are also looking at a car that can get 500 kilometres per charge,” Mr Pang said.

Despite being away from the Shaolin project, Mr Pang still believes Abbot Shi Yongxin was committed to the temple development.

“I don’t think he is wavering,” he said.

“As I understand it, the Abbot is taking care of the project himself.”

In a visit to the Shoalhaven in June this year the Abbot said work on the Shaolin Temple at Comberton Grange was expected to start in early 2016.

The Abbot also confirmed that the Temple complex would be constructed in a staged process.

The meditation centre, spiritual and wellbeing complex and Kung Fu centre will make up the first stage.
    Interesting. No mention of the Abbot scandal. I'm surprised this wasn't reported by the South Coast Register as that would seem to be a major factor here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Pang update

Been a while since we've updated this here thread.

Former Shaolin Foundation director Patrick Pang launches Chinese Cultural Centre in Bomaderry
    Robert Crawford
    @RobSCRegister
    11 Jul 2016, 8:44 a.m.

NEW VENTURE: Former Shaolin Foundation director, Patrick Pang has opened a Chinese Cultural Centre in Bomaderry.

A Chinese Cultural Centre has opened in the Shoalhaven.

And a familiar face is at the helm.

The man behind the centre is Patrick Pang, a former director of the Shaolin Foundation, who spent more than a decade trying to get the Shaolin Temple built in the Shoalhaven.

Mr Pang said the centre on the upper level of the Bomaderry Bowling Club would target non Chinese Australians interested in learning Chinese culture.

“In my time here, people have grown aware of China and the importance of building cultural connections,” he said.

“The growing influence of China in the world economy and international politics makes it necessary to understand China.

“Through my contacts I want to make this happen.”

Lessons in Chinese, meditation and and chess were available when the centre opened on Monday.

Mr Pang said more people speak Chinese than any other language in the world.

“The centre is offering an easy to learn 12 lessons (one and a half hours per session) targeted at anyone who has an interest in Chinese culture,” he said.

“It would be particularly helpful for those working in banking, travel, restaurants, real estate, health and hospitality industries who will have exposure to Chinese visitors and tourists.

“It would also be suitable for those contemplating visiting China for business and cultural exchange.

“Having lived here for seven years, I can see a lot of potential in establishing closer ties for the area with China.

“There are lots of business opportunities but we need to be able to build those bridges to create those opportunities.

“Chinese people also want to invest in Australia.”

He said Chinese doctors, therapeutic massage, moxibustion and acupuncture would be available by appointment.

“We will be able to provide alternative treatments,” he said.

Mr Pang hopes to have Tai Chi, Shaolin Kung Fu, Mahjong and calligraphy added to the program as the centre progresses.

Despite walking away from the Shaolin temple project last November, Mr Pang said he still believes in the proposal.

“I still believe the temple will be built in some form in the Shoalhaven,” he said.

“I just don’t know when.

“The Abbot has a few problems in China at the moment and I think he is sorting all that out before progressing any further over here.

“It is a very unique proposal and I still believe it can provide great opportunities for the Shoalhaven.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Patrick Pang Sues Shaolin Abbot for $600,000

Patrick Pang Sues Shaolin Abbot for $600k

Robert Crawford

South Coast Register
    18 Jul 2016, 2:30 p.m.

IN another twist to the ongoing Shaolin Temple saga, it has been revealed former director Patrick Pang is suing Shaolin Abbot Shi Yongxin in the NSW Supreme Court for expenses.

Mr Pang was a director of the Shaolin Foundation and the Australian face of the Shaolin Temple development planned for Comberton Grange at Falls Creek.

After more than a decade of trying to get the $380 million Shaolin Temple Complex proposal approved and built, he walked away from the project last November.

Mr Pang started proceedings in the NSW Supreme Court in February to recoup more than $600,000 in costs incurred during the process.

“I gave 11 years service to the Abbot and this project and this claim is for outstanding expenses, consultant fees and things like that, which I didn’t claim during that time,” he said.

“My lawyers are trying to get it organised as fast as possible.”

Despite walking away from the project last November, Mr Pang still believes in the proposal and said it would be built in the Shoalhaven one day.

“I still believe the temple will be built in some form in the Shoalhaven,” he said.

“I just don’t know when.

“The Abbot has a few problems in China at the moment and I think he is sorting all that out before progressing any further over here.

“It is a very unique proposal and I still believe it can provide great opportunities for the Shoalhaven.”

In September 2014, the Planning Assessment Commission (PAC) granted approval for the $360 million Shaolin complex at Comberton Grange but with strict conditions.

PAC approved the concept plan but excluded the golf course and residential precincts of the proposal and advised the hotel precinct should also be moved.

In February 2015, Abbot Shi Yongxin presented a bank cheque to Shoalhaven Mayor Joanna Gash for $4,162,723.99 to finalise the mortgage payments on the property. At the time the foundation said it intended to continue to push for the residential precinct of 300 houses despite PAC’s rejection.

The matter is listed for a one-day hearing in the NSW Supreme Court on August 4.[/I]
    Last edited by Seadragon; 07-18-2016 at 07:20 PM.

What Happens Next?

The next episode of this saga is due to happen in the NSW Supreme Court tomorrow.

Will Patrick Pang provide details of the claimed $600,000? (Can Patrick Pang even do that- sue the Abbot, not the entity?)

Will Shi Yongxin appear in court himself? If not, who will represent him?

Will Phillip Balding have any thing to say?

Will the NSW Supreme Court cancel the charity registration of Shaolin Temple Foundation (Australia) Ltd? Since both of the directors have resigned (over 6 months ago) and now one of them is suing the big boss? So who is running the show? And with their reporting 6 months overdue! Opps!

Or will the Supreme Court find it a bit too hard to deal with and adjourn for another day?

Only one more sleep!

And the decision is....

And the decision is.....there is no decision!

Nothing was reported in the local paper and I have been eagerly watching and waiting for the Supreme Court results online.

Finally it's been published.

Follow this link and you can read the whole case story yourself

www.caselaw.nsw.gov.au ( go to 'advanced search' and type in Shaolin Temple. Two items come up. The August 4 case is the 2nd one)

On the Australian Non For Profit Charity web page (www.acnc.gov.au -- again search for Shaolin in advanced search-- 2 options pop up and the other one is worth a read too ) Shaolin Temple Foundation Aust (Ltd) Is now 7 months over due with their reporting and with no directors ( though Pang and Balding are still down as directors despite them having resigned months ago!!) Very generous of the ACNC to give them the benefit of the doubt!

And who is Phillip Balding? This may give you a bit of background: http://www.southcoastregister.com.au...0bn-fraud-case

After several months we are still left wondering 'what happens next?'
    Last edited by Seadragon; 09-15-2016 at 03:45 AM.

Shaolin Temple Foundation (Australia) loses charity status

Are religious organizations taxed in Oz?

Shaolin Temple and Camp Gallipoli lose charity status

GALI BLACHER
    DECEMBER 20, 2016

More organisations lose their charitable status.

The Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) has revoked the charity status of two organisations following compliance investigations into their activities and operations.

The organisations are:

Shaolin Temple Foundation (Australia) LTD – revoked on 8 December 2016, with the effective date of revocation 2 December 2015

Camp Gallipoli Foundation Incorporated – revoked on 15 December 2016, with the effective date of revocation 10 February 2014

Both organisations have 60 days (from the date of revocation) to object to the ACNC’s revocation decisions, in which case they will be independently reviewed internally.

According to the Australian Business Register (ABR), Shaolin Temple Foundation (Australia) has been operating since 2006 and is based in New South Wales.

The Shaolin Temple Foundation was endorsed by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to access the following Commonwealth charity tax concessions – GST Concession, Income Tax Exemption, and FBT Rebate.

According to the ABR, Camp Gallipoli Foundation Incorporated has been operating since 2014 and is based in South Australia. It was endorsed by the ATO to access the following Commonwealth charity tax concessions – GST concession and income tax exemption.

The organisations will now lose access to these Commonwealth charity tax concessions.

Commissioner Susan Pascoe said that while the ACNC could not provide further details, due to the secrecy provisions in the ACNC Act, the ACNC’s approach to compliance activity was proportionate.

“The ACNC’s approach to regulating Australia’s 54,000 registered charities is to be firm, yet fair,” Pascoe said.

“Members of the public can be assured that compliance revocations are reserved for the most serious of cases.

“Where possible, we work with charities to help them get back on track by providing guidance and education. In fact, the majority of concerns raised with the ACNC are resolved by our Advice Services team.”

Commissioner Pascoe encouraged donors to always check the Charity Register to ensure they are giving to a registered charity.

“Organisations that have their charity status revoked by the ACNC are easy to identify,” Pascoe said.

“A registered charity will appear with a green tick on the Charity Register, however when a charity is revoked, a red cross will appear. If an organisation isn’t registered with the ACNC, it will not appear at all.

“It is important that people check the Charity Register to ensure that they are getting accurate and up-to-date information about a charity.”

Pascoe also encouraged members of the public to raise any concerns with the ACNC.

“Each month we receive around 60 concerns about charities, two-thirds of which come from members of the public,” she said.

“In the last financial year we received 930 concerns, a significant increase compared to the 810 we received the year prior. The influx of concerns resulted in around 50 per cent more investigations than the year prior.

“The public often provide valuable information that helps the ACNC investigate, and ultimately, revoke a non-compliant charity’s status.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I could ask my sister. She lives there and is working to become a international tax lawyer. But Im sure someone else from OZ will have the answer long before I do so.....