Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Temple OZ

I'm sure that beneath this temple...

...they will build Fu Manchu's evil lair.

Foundation secretary fears Shaolin is losing patience
    By ROBERT CRAWFORD
    Aug. 19, 2014, 7:28 p.m.

THE secretary of the Shaolin Foundation Phil Balding said if any more obstacles were put in front of the organisation for its planned $360 million tourism and residential complex at Comberton Grange it might be forced to walk away from the project.
    See your ad here

Commenting after Wednes-day’s Planning Assessment Commission public hearing into the proposal, Mr Balding said it was getting to the stage that unless the project got the green light without further obstacles the foundation might have to reassess its position.

“It is hard to explain to our Chinese friends why this has taken so long,” he said.

“They can’t understand it. Things don’t happen like this in China.”

Twelve individuals or community group representatives made presentations at the PAC hearing at the Archer Resort.

Mr Balding criticised the South Coast Register’s reporting of the meeting, saying it was not a true representation.

“The article claims no one spoke in favour of the development and that was because only people who put in submissions with objections to the temple were allowed to speak,” he said.

“The whole purpose of the meeting was to allow those people to voice objections. They weren’t here to listen to people in favour of it.

“We or anyone in favour of the temple was not invited to speak against, defend or contradict some of the claims being made.

“Eleven speakers out of a population of 30,000 people is not a lot, is it?”

He said the group had taken on board some of the concerns raised at the meeting – the main issue was water quality, including run-off, erosion and possible silt going into Currambene Creek which is in the Jervis Bay catchment area.

“The engineers have looked at these things and factored in appropriate measures to stop erosion and run-off of silt into the area’s waterways. They are all part and parcel of any development,” he said.

Mr Balding said the Shaolin group met privately with PAC representatives, who undertook a tour of the area, on Tuesday, as did Shoalhaven City Council, to express concerns and put in written submissions about what they thought was more appropriate for the development of the site.

“We were happy with the meeting, they took on board and listened to what we had to say,” he said.

He said the commission indicated it would make a ruling within four to six weeks.

Meanwhile, Gilmore MP Ann Sudmalis has weighed into the debate with an open letter urging opponents of the complex to consider the economic and cultural benefits of the projects.

He letter is published in full on page 10.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Oz PRC tensions

Quote Originally Posted by breeze View Post
    How neatly this whole project fits into Chinas politics of worldwide acquisition of land, not necessarily for supporting the local societies but for Chinese interests. There is a lot of interest in buying land in special places of this world for certain projects which generate secure and highly profitable investment possibilities for wealthy Chinese, many of them politicians.
    Looks like you share the opinion of Clive Palmer, breeze....

JK.

Watch: Australian tycoon says 'Chinese mongrels' want to 'take over' the country during televised tirade

Australian mining mogul and politician Clive Palmer attacked Chinese business interests in his country during an ABC network current affairs show in which he called the Chinese government "*******s" who "shoot their own people".

Palmer, leader of the Palmer United Party Clive Palmer, claims that the Chinese government owes him over A$500 million (HK$3.6 billion) in royalties from a Sino Iron magnetite project that saw partnership between Hong Kong-based Citic Pacific and China's Metallurgical Group Corporation, SCMP reports.

Citic is mining for magnetite iron ore on Palmer’s sprawling Australian Mardie Station cattle farm under a 25-year lease.

But the two sides have clashed over what share of the proceeds are owed to the Australian businessman and whether his company, Mineralogy, is the legal operator of the project’s export terminal at Port Preston.

Citic has also accused Mineralogy of siphoning off millions of dollars from a business bank account to fund Palmer’s election campaign.

Palmer denied any such allegations against him, claiming that he's now planning to sue the Chinese government.

“We’ll be suing them and they’ll be answering the questions,” he said.

“We’ve had three judgments in the Federal Court and the Supreme Court of Western Australia and an arbitration against these Chinese mongrels - I’m saying that because they’re Communist, they shoot their own people, they haven’t got a justice system and they want to take over this country...And we’re not going to let them,” he said.

“The Chinese government wants to bring workers here to destroy our wage system … they want to take over our ports and get our resources for free."

“So far they’ve shifted A$200 million worth of iron ore out of this country without paying for it...I don’t mind standing up against the Chinese *******s and stopping them from doing it."

A spokesperson for the Chinese embassy said that Palmer's words "were full of ignorance and prejudice". Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop assured the public in an interview with Fairfax Radio that the country did not share views held by Palmer.

"It really isn't appropriate for him to use a national television program to vent his bitterness about a legal dispute he is having with a Chinese company," she said.

Palmer was further bashed by netizens online.

“Clive Palmer hit a new low tonight with his racist, anti-Chinese rant - while sitting next to Penny Wong! This man is a disgrace,” said one web user identified as Toni McLee.

"Clive's comments were out of order but I thought Tony's continual badgering was too. He seemed to think he was on Lateline," a Twitter user said.

"First one to do a dance remix of Clive Palmer's anti-Chinese rant wins YouTube," joked another.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kiama

If Nowra says 'no'...

Kiama eyes Nowra's $360m Shaolin Temple By ALEX ARNOLD Aug. 20, 2014, 10 p.m.

An artist’s impression of the $360 million Shaolin temple proposal.

If a proposal for a Shaolin Temple at Comberton Grange, south of Nowra, fails to find support, then a decommissioned Jerrara Dam site could be an option, according to Kiama councillor Mark Way.

On Tuesday night, Cr Way attempted to have Kiama council officers approach the Shaolin Temple proponents to gauge their interest in the Jerrara site should the Shoalhaven proposal fall through.

The $360 million Shaolin complex at Comberton Grange is now being assessed by the Planning Assessment Commission, eight years after it was first proposed.

"I've been monitoring the situation and they seem to be having a lot of trouble getting the proposal through," Cr Way said.

"As most people are aware, I wanted to have a fishing and eco-resort at Jerrara Dam, but I'd also like to know if the proponents of the Shaolin Temple would be interested in that area. A development like that would be great for tourism and something positive for that area."

In October 2013, Kiama councillors voted 8-1 to decommission Jerrara Dam, arguing other options for the 53-hectare earth-fill embankment dam were too expensive.

Cr Way voted against the move.

In recent years, the dam has regularly been the subject of emergency warnings or "amber" alerts during heavy rain.

While the integrity of the dam wall was never in question, the NSW Dam Safety Committee had concerns - based on updated climate forecasts - that the dam could overtop in extreme weather circumstances.

Kiama council has factored $1.3 million into future budgets for the decommissioning to take place, while cost estimates to raise the embankment or widen the spillway ranged between $3.1 million and $3.6 million.

Kiama Mayor Brian Petschler said design works for the decommissioning were complete and the council would soon go to tender for the work, which the council hoped to have complete by the end of 2015.

Cr Petschler said that once decommissioned it would be up to the council to decide what happens next at the Jerrara Dam site, whether it was left as a reserve, turned it into a caravan park - or a Shaolin Temple.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm sure that beneath this temple...

You won't find Fu Manchu under this 'temple', but more likely the graves of Australian Aboriginal people.

One grave has already been identified with the likelihood of more. It is also identified as a woman's site, having significance to Aboriginal women. There is also a range of other archeological significant sites (scatters, scar trees, cave habitation) that will be destroyed if this development goes ahead.

Archeological evidence estimate they have used that site for over 3,000 years. Aboriginal people have been on this continent for at least 52,000 years. Some see this development as one culture being introduced at the expense of another.

Not only is the site culturally important but ecologically important too. The site will impact on the headwaters of Currambene Creek, the main tributary into the pristine waters of Jervis Bay. Some of your readers may have been whale or dolphin watching on the Bay or maybe to one of the sailing, art or triathlon events.

There are 5 Endangered Ecological Communities and 6 endangered species that will become more endangered if this is approved.

Also the community is massively against this development as our Shire Council is using ratepayers money to prop up it by the way of interest free loans and selling land worth $39million for a paltry $5million. As this is one of those developments that have wrangled ‘charity’ status they will pay no tax or interest. With the environmental and cultural heritage damage this resort will do there seems little benefit to the community.

And by the way, this is not about race or religion. I have lots of Chinese friends, some of my family are Buddhist and we have been to 100 or more temples throughout Asia. I've never been to one that has a golf course!

That's very interesting, Seadragon

...and welcome to our forum. I was joking about Fu Manchu's lair, of course.

Here's some more environmental issues:
    Shaolin complex will harm creek
    Aug. 28, 2014, 5:48 p.m.

THE Shaolin tourist and residential development at Comberton Grange will be an ecological disaster.

A water management report commissioned by the developer states their removal and retention standards to trap litter bigger than 5mm is 90 per cent.

This means 10 per cent of litter bigger than 5mm will go into Currambene Creek. For fine sediment, it’s 50 per cent. This means 50 per cent of soil – which is identified as having high erosion potential – can go into Currambene Creek.

For hydrocarbons, it’s 70 per cent, so 30 per cent into the creek. Phosphorus and nitrogen is 45 per cent, so a staggering 55 per cent will go into the creek. And this is with a 27-hole golf course and how many tonnes of fertiliser?

The report also states the development will require a sewage pumping station, which is not identified on the plan. Nor is the placement of the stormwater outlets that will pump all this crap into our pristine waterway.

In the same report the maximum rain event is 12 hours and there is no data on quantity of rain (mm per hour). The east coast low that hit the area in 2012 delivered 275mm over seven days and flooded parts of Nowra and Woollamia.

This is not good enough for our environment, the residents or the hundreds of thousands of people that flock to Jervis Bay every year. Algal blooms and silt will smother the fish nurseries that make Jervis Bay a recreational fisher’s dream. So all the fisherfolk will have to find somewhere else to go. This development must not be allowed to proceed.

M. Curtis,

Woollamia.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Looks like you share the opinion of Clive Palmer, breeze....

JK.
    My Chinese “mongrel”-friends would torture me with chopsticks if I called them *******s … , and i forgot, how many Buddhist temple's in China i visited. I don't share the opinion of Clive Palmer, but am against some aspects of Chinese (and American and German and ...) politix, that came to my mind when reading this thread.

Sorry, but i cannot separate Shi Yongxin’s temple-building plans from political and financial interests. To me it seems that he mostly wants to create some high-society Shaolin-wellness-oasis, if possible close to some Chinese “diaspora”-community. Shaolin “light” for a well paying elite outside of China.

Besides, also in Berlin, Germany there are plans to build a Shaolin temple, not as big as the Australian temple and without afive-star-hotel and a golf course, so Shi Yongxin’s interest always was very limited, that means he had nothing against it, but also didn't actively support it.

Name:  Shaolin Tempel Projekt - Bauplan 1s.jpg
Views: 1632
Size:  81.7 KB

Name:  Shaolin Tempel Projekt - Bauplan.jpg
Views: 2079
Size:  36.8 KB

http://www.shaolin-tempel.eu/shaolin/images/Shaolin-Tempelanlage.pdf"]http://www.shaolin-tempel.eu/shaolin...mpelanlage.pdf[/URL]

The temple was planned to be built on former Tempelhof (= “temple’s court”) airport, which is now a public park, owned by the senat of Berlin, that means by the people. - There was a referendum earlier this year asking people, if they want the land to remain as it is now or if they want the land to be partially sold and with buildings on it (there were also housings etc. planned). People prefered nature to buildings …, so building plans are stopped for a while -> http://nprberlin.de/post/100-tempelh...ark-referendum

It would have been nice to have a Shaolin temple just around the corner, but now I am forced to practice gongfu and qigong on an open field and watch a big sky with larks rising to it.

Name:  Tempelhofer Feld 1.jpg
Views: 1504
Size:  51.6 KB

Interesting photos, breeze

What we really need to start here on this forum is a "Shaolin Temple Germany/Austria" thread.

Meanwhile, returning to OZ:
    Shaolin Temple plans receive conditional approval
    Ainslie Drewitt-Smith
    Posted 26 minutes ago Tue 9 Sep 2014, 9:41am

Photo: An artists impression of what the Shaolin Temple development would look like if it gained full concept approval. The Planning Assessment Commission has recommended the project be scaled back.
    Map: Nowra 2541

A controversial temple development planned for the South Coast has been given concept approval.

The Planning Assessment Commission has given the green light to the Shaolin Temple project, but not without significant conditions.

In their report the PAC denied approval for the construction of a golf course and 300 residential lots at the Comberton Grange sight.

The document said the golf course was deleted due to the potential risk it poses to water quality in the longer term.

They said the residential precincts could result in the creation of an urban settlement, contrary to the South Coast Regional Strategy and the South Coast Sensitive Urban Lands Review.

In their report, the commission's chair Donna Campbell and members Richard Thorp and David Johnson shut down the developers plans to remove vegetation from the Jervis Bay Habitat corridor.

They said with the deletion of the golf course and relocation of the hotel precinct there's no need to remove vegetation from the area.

In one ****ing paragraph, the Commission questions council's handling of the project and suggests future DAs associated with the development be assessed independently by the Southern Joint Regional Planning Panel.

Vincentia resident Judy Gedsted has been lobbying against the project since its inception eight years ago.

She said she's surprised by the Commission's final determination and is pleased with the outcome.

"They've actually seen the point that regional planning was for no new towns and villages and they've seen the potential for this to be a township."

"They've also seen that council were perhaps over enthusiastic with their support," she said.

Ms Gedsted slammed council's handling of the project and said the community's concerns have been justified by the Commission's findings.

"I think council have behaved abominably."

"Council I think have been quite deceptive in the way they've spoken about this, it's been appalling."

Shoalhaven Mayor Joanna Gash said she's disappointed by the PAC's decision and is concerned it will turn the developers away.

"I am terribly disappointed about the whole thing."

"I was also disappointed at the attitude of the Planning Assessment Commission panel, who throughout the whole approval process, there was not one stage in which they fully grasped what the whole project was about," she said.

"We actually had to explain to them what the project was."

"Taking the golf course and the residential housing out of the project, I don't know what that will do with the proposal," she said.

"It may be a game stopper, I don't know."

Cr Gash said claims council has had a conflict of interest over the project are absurd.

"The state planning department signed off on this proposal."

"Now if there was any further concerns, surely the minister would have told us that there were concerns."

"To say that we handled it badly, this is just not on. I won't accept that, at all," she said.

The ABC has sought a response from the Shaolin Foundation's spokesman, Patrick Pang.

It's unclear at this stage whether the developers will proceed with their application.
    It is now up to the Shaolin Foundation to prove it was genuine from the start
    Sept. 9, 2014, 6:34 p.m.

THE decision by the Planning Assessment Commission to severely limit the scope of the Shaolin tourist and residential proposal for Comberton Grange was never going to please everyone.

For Shoalhaven City Council, it has come as a blow because it was banking on the economic benefits the project would bring.

For the Shaolin Foundation, which not long after floating the concept of a temple and associated tourist infrastructure including a hotel added a golf course and housing subdivision, the commercial equation will doubtless look much less attractive. It’s probable it will walk away from the project.

For Cr Greg Watson, who was a passionate advocate of the project, from its more humble vision to its expanded residential scale, the decision will cut deeply.

However, for the residents who fought tooth and nail against the project, fearing the environmental consequences, it is a sweet victory, one that suggests their objections have been taken seriously by the independent Planning Assessment Commission.

What happens next will be mightily interesting. South Coast MP Shelley Han**** has thrown down the challenge to the Shaolin to get on and build what they originally proposed to demonstrate their sincerity in wanting to promote a Buddhist way of life.

If they do walk away, it will vindicate what the naysayers have maintained all along, including former Planning Minister Frank Minister Frank Sartor; that the project was a Trojan horse for an urban development on sensitive land that was unsuited for the proposed purpose.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Come what may of this project...

...it is quite fascinating to watch how this is playing out.

Shaolin group in rough over golf course By ROBERT CRAWFORD Sept. 10, 2014, 9:30 p.m.

South Coast MP Shelley Han**** has backed the Planning Assessment Commission's decision to delete the golf course and 300 residential blocks from the proposed Shaolin Temple development at Falls Creek.

"Honestly, I think PAC has got it right," Mrs Han**** said this week.

"If the Shaolin group walks away from this, they were never really committed to it. They have got everything else they wanted.

"And if they do walk, it will confirm it was a pseudo urban development."

Ms Han**** said a substantial development had been approved.

"It remains well-positioned to allow a substantial tourist development to occur at the location.

"It has still got a temple with residential accommodation, the Shaolin Martial Arts Training Centre, including the health and wellness centre, the four-star hotel and village centre.

"There are a number of substantial attractions and I don't think PAC is being unfair at all."

She said PAC had determined the golf course could pose a risk to water quality.

Shoalhaven Mayor Joanna Gash expressed her disappointment at the PAC's decision and said it had created serious doubts as to whether the $360 million project would proceed.

Cr Gash said she was extremely concerned the PAC and state government "would think a degraded wildlife corridor was of more importance than local jobs and a unique and innovative tourism complex".

"I was disappointed by the attitude of the Planning and Assessment Commission throughout the approval process; there was not one stage in which they fully grasped what the project was all about.

"However, the state government had no issues in approving the Packer development at Barangaroo, which is of no benefit to regional NSW, in six months," she said.
    Shaolin temple decision supported by Han**** and Gjedsted By Robert Crawford Sept. 9, 2014, 6:23 p.m.

EARLY VISION: One of the artist’s impressions produced when the Shaolin Foundation first proposed a temple at Comberton Grange.

Vincentia resident and vocal opponent to the $360 million Shaolin tourism complex at Comberton Grange Judy Gjedsted said the Planning Assessment Commission’s decision was a win for those opposed to the development.

“We have not won the war but we have won a battle,” she said.

“I’m pretty pleased with PAC’s decision and recommendations, it vindicates the concerns the community has had for a long time.

“I think PAC got it [the development]. To a large extent they understood a lot. Maybe not everything but enough.”

She said she was happy about the removal of the golf course and the 300-lot housing development.

“I think [PAC] has given more consideration to the wildlife corridor but it is still a huge development,” she said.

“It will still have to be very carefully monitored.

“It was more commercial than people realised, whether these recommendations will lead to a stop we’ll have to wait and see.

“It will be interesting to see if the finance is still available and where we go to from here.”

She said the commission had added some technical things to protect the quality of the water and other aspects of the development.

“There are some great improvements which will make it less destructive than it might have been,” she said.

“It is odd the mayor says she is disappointed, but she has constantly referred to it as a temple rather than a housing development.

“The temple is coming so what is the problem?”

She said it was interesting council would no longer be able to deal with any of the development applications regarding the proposal.

Ms Gjedsted said she would continue to keep a close eye on the proposal.

“I’m in my 80s, I’ll probably be dead or go gaga,” she said.

MP defends temple decision, urges Shaolin to stick to original plan

South Coast MP Shelley Han**** says she agrees with the Planning Assessment Commission’s decision to delete the golf course and 300 residential blocks from the proposed Shaolin Temple Development at Falls Creek.

“Honestly, I think PAC has got it right,” Mrs Han**** said.

“If the Shaolin group walks away from this, they were never really committed to it.

“They have got everything else they wanted.

“And if they do walk, it will confirm it was a pseudo urban development.

“Quite a substantial development has been approved. I’m happy.

“It remains well-positioned to allow a substantial tourist development to occur at the location.

“It has still got a temple with residential accommodation, the Shaolin Martial Arts Training Centre, including the health and wellness centre, the four-star hotel and village centre.

“There are a number of substantial attractions and I don’t think PAC is being unfair at all.”

She said PAC determined the golf course could pose a risk to water quality in the long term.

“That was an issue residents raised,” she said.

“I also agree about the 300 homes deletion, which probably differs from [Shoalhaven Mayor Joanna Gash]. I don’t think the 300 homes were integral to a tourism development.

“It is either an urban development or a tourist development and to me 300 homes looked like a residential development.

“PAC made this decision, not the government. The government is at arm’s length with the process, that’s why they appoint PAC.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

more

the suspense is killing me.

okay, not really, but it's still amusing.

Shaolin temple: Joanna Gash feels confident
    By ROBERT CRAWFORD
    Sept. 11, 2014, 6:28 p.m.

SHOALHAVEN Mayor Joanna Gash remains confident the $360 million Shaolin tourism complex at Comberton Grange will go ahead.

Cr Gash said she had spoken to Shaolin Foundation representative Patrick Pang a number of times since the Planning Assessment Commission approved the temple, Kung Fu training academy and tourist accommodation on Monday but rejected the proposal for the 300-home residential package and golf course.

“I have spoken to Patrick on numerous occasions in China and he wants to come here and talk to us about the project. I’m taking that as a positive,” Cr Gash said.

“He will be in the Shoalhaven on Monday to talk to us about the project.

“To me, the glass is more half full than half empty.”

Cr Gash said one point of discussion in Monday’s meeting would definitely be about payment to council.

“Of course we will discuss whether the project will go ahead or not and if it goes ahead, [the Shaolin Foundation] know the first account that needs to be paid is council,” Cr Gash said.

“We will discuss some of the points on how we could work with the existing plans and I’m looking forward to that.”

The Shaolin Foundation has only paid a $250,000 deposit and made $640,000 in interest payments on the $5 million land deal.

Cr Gash has previously said the project was a win-win for council, saying if the proposal went ahead council would receive the $5 million price tag for the land and if it didn’t go ahead, council would retain the deposit and interest payments, and still own the land.

“We could always take back the land and still go ahead and re-sell it,” she said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

go ahead

Theres's an image of Patrick Pang if you follow the link. I starting digging through the source code to cut&paste it, but got tired and gave up. It's Monday morning...
    Shaolin temple: Patrick Pang says project will go ahead
    By JOHN HANSCOMBE
    Sept. 15, 2014, 1:41 p.m.

Shaolin representatives Patrick Pang and Phil Balding are all smiles after their meeting with Shoalhaven Mayor Joanna Gash on Monday morning.

THE $360 million Shaolin temple and tourism development will go ahead, despite major restrictions imposed by the Planning Assessment Commission.

The outstanding balance of the $5 million sale price of the land at Comberton Grange will be paid to Shoalhaven City Council within three months.

Shaolin Foundation representatives Patrick Pang and Phil Balding met Shoalhaven Mayor Joanna Gash on Monday to offer their assurances the project would get under way as soon as possible.

An upbeat Cr Gash said she was “delighted with the positivity of the meeting”.

“Myself and deputy mayor John Wells hope to visit China – at our own expense – to meet the Abbot in coming weeks,” Cr Gash said.

She said it became evident during the meeting that the Chinese people had been hurt by recent disparaging comments by Palmer United Party boss Clive Palmer and that she and Cr Wells wanted to make it clear Mr Palmer’s views were not representative of those in the Shoalhaven.

Mr Pang said it was pleasing to have definite approval after 10 years of effort to get the temple and tourism development under way.

“I think we have enough to work on at this point with our architects and urban planners. We will then probably make some modifications to make it economically more viable and sustainable,” Mr Pang said.

He said the decision to strike out the 300 residential homes would have an impact on the complex’s ability to host large events but it would not jeopardise the project.

“Obviously that isn’t the case because we have a reputation to protect and Shaolin temple is not a property developer,” he said.

Mr Pang said he would like to settle the purchase of the land as soon as possible

“I told [Shoalhaven City Council] within three months…and if possible ASAP because it is ridiculous that we are concerned about this $5 million because if we can’t afford it we wouldn’t have even started it. For us to worry about the $5 million, I think it is a joke.”

Mr Pang said he would like work to begin as soon as possible.

“If we have the approval and the cooperation of all various government agencies, it will start straight away. We have no time to wait. I’m already 62 years old,” he said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Go ahead

The story continues.
    Shaolin Temple will go ahead Sept. 17, 2014, 8:02 a.m.
    THE $360 million Shaolin temple and tourism development will go ahead, despite major restrictions imposed by the Planning Assessment Commission.

The outstanding balance of the $5 million sale price of the land at Comberton Grange will be paid to Shoalhaven City Council within three months.

Shaolin Foundation representatives Patrick Pang and Phil Balding met Shoalhaven Mayor Joanna Gash on Monday to offer their assurances the project would get under way as soon as possible.

An upbeat Cr Gash said she was “delighted with the positivity of the meeting”.

“Myself and deputy mayor John Wells hope to visit China – at our own expense – to meet the Abbot in coming weeks,” Cr Gash said.

She said it became evident during the meeting that the Chinese people had been hurt by recent disparaging comments by Palmer United Party boss Clive Palmer and she and Cr Wells wanted to make it clear Mr Palmer’s views were not representative of those in the Shoalhaven.

Mr Pang said it was pleasing to have definite approval after 10 years of effort to get the temple and tourism development under way.

“I think we have enough to work on at this point with our architects and urban planners. We will then probably make some modifications to make it economically more viable and sustainable,” Mr Pang said.

He said the decision to strike out the 300 residential homes would have an impact on the complex’s ability to host large events but it would not jeopardise the project.

“Obviously that isn’t the case because we have a reputation to protect and Shaolin temple is not a property developer,” he said.

Mr Pang said he would like to settle the purchase of the land as soon as possible

“I told [Shoalhaven City Council] within three months … and if possible ASAP because it is ridiculous that we are concerned about this $5 million because if we can’t afford it we wouldn’t have even started it. For us to worry about the $5 million, I think it is a joke.”

Mr Pang said he would like work to begin as soon as possible.

“If we have the approval and the cooperation of all various government agencies, it will start straight away. We have no time to wait,” he said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

another update

Council upbeat on Shaolin after China trip
    By ROBERT CRAWFORD
    Oct. 26, 2014, 3:28 p.m.

THE Shaolin Foundation is still committed to the $360 million Shaolin temple and tourism development project, according to Shoalhaven Mayor Joanna Gash, with the Abbot to visit the Shoalhaven early in the new year.

Cr Gash, deputy mayor John Wells and council’s economic development manager Greg Pullen discussed the development with the Shaolin Abbot during their trip to China, joined by Shaolin Foundation representative Patrick Pang.

Cr Gash said the visit was successful with the Abbot and his architects set to come to the area.

The troubled development, planned for Comberton Grange at Falls Creek, has been on the books for eight years.

The Planning Assessment Commission recently approved concept plans with strict conditions that excluded the golf course and residential precincts of the proposal and advised that the hotel precinct should be moved.

“We’re pretty happy with the outcome of the visit and were given every indication that the project would go ahead,” Cr Wells said

“We met a lot of people interested in the Shoalhaven both at a city level and the temple development.

“We met with the East China Architecture Design Industry, which will be doing the architecture and engineering design.

“There are a lot of businesses that want to be associated with the project. Even our Sister City, Fuzhou, indicated it wanted to be involved, expressing an interest in having some of the gardens around the temple developed by the province.

“Everyone wants a piece of the action.”

Cr Wells said the matter of the outstanding money $4.5 million for the site had been addressed prior to the local delegation going to China.

“Mr Pang indicated the outstanding money would be paid by year’s end and was confident the loan for the project would be acquired by the Shaolin by the new year and it would all then be all systems go,” Cr Wells said.

A new municipal friendship was struck with Fuyang, the Abbot’s birthplace, a city of 10 million, which has a major ageing population problem and is looking to Australia to provide technical advice and guidance on aged care facilities and education exchange opportunities.

“The three cities we looked at have a combined population of 25 million, more than the population of Australia. If we could tap into just 0.2 per cent of that 25 million it would make a significant impression on the Shoalhaven. The key for us is to ensure our industry is ready for it.”

Crs Gash and Wells paid their own ways to China to meet with the Abbot, while Mr Greg Pullen’s travel was paid for by ratepayers.

Cr Gash and Wells paid for their accommodation in Fuzhou but in other cities where they were hosted the accommodation tabs were picked up by ministers or host cities or supporters of the Shaolin Foundation.

Shoalhaven not alone when it comes to temple plans

IT has long been mooted the Shoalhaven Shaolin development would be the only such temple built outside of China but plans could soon be looked at by Capel Shire Council, south of Perth.

On July 7 this year, the West Australian reported the Shaolin Temple Foundation of Australia had assessed land owned by Southwide Proprietary Limited in Capel that would be suitable for the construction of a Shaolin temple and complex.

It said plans for a $200 million development south of Dalyellup, midway between Bunbury and Busselton, had the potential to attract more than 250,000 tourists and pilgrims a year.

The WA development would be on the same scale as the Shoalhaven proposal, with Shaolin Temple Foundation director Patrick Pang saying it would not be doing anything until the NSW project was confirmed.

Early plans for the 12ha development include short-stay accommodation for tourists and pilgrims, accommodation for monks, serviced apartments and an aged care facility for Capel residents.

The proposal is yet to be submitted to the WA Planning Commission.
    What is it with Shaolin & OZ exactly?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

an update

Here we go again indeed....
    Here we go again: Shaolin asks for more time
    By ROBERT CRAWFORD
    Dec. 16, 2014, 7:05 p.m.

THE Shaolin Foundation has asked for yet more time to pay the balance on the purchase of land at Comberton Grange.

The payment of the outstanding balance of the $5 million sale price of the land at Falls Creek for the proposed temple complex was due on Wednesday, December 17.

Shaolin representatives addressed the Shoalhaven City Council meeting at Ulladulla last night stating they would not be making the promised payment until January next year.

Foundation representatives Patrick Pang and Mr Liu said it would not be able to make the payment until January 23.

It is understood even then the foundation would only be making an instalment.

In front of a packed gallery at the Ulladulla Civic Centre, Mr Pang and Mr Liu blamed a bureaucratic board of the Chinese government for holding up their payment.

Cr Andrew Guile said council can’t believe the foundation’s promises any longer.

“If we were to trust the Shaolin in meeting their obligations then we should have expected them to deliver tomorrow, as they and the mayor promised,” he said.

“They applied to make a repayment on January 23 and we don’t know how much.

“We should be demanding payment in full.

“I think people were a bit surprised. There was great expectation we would be receiving payment sooner rather than later.

“We can’t believe their promises any longer.

“We were promised three months ago the payment would be made on December 17 and now we find out we have to wait at least another month.

“And we don’t know how much they want to pay.

“If we are generous enough to extend the time once more, Shoalhaven ratepayers should expect every cent under the contract plus interest to be paid by that date.

“They criticise our bureaucracy with the speed of processing the application and approving it, one would have thought the Chinese could have been a little more efficient.”

The $360 million Shaolin temple and tourism development proposal comprises a Buddhist temple sanctuary complex, kung-fu academy, 500-bed four-star hotel, commercial shopping precinct and community centre.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2015!

Foreclosure call on sale
    Jan. 15, 2015, 4:58 p.m.

SHOALHAVEN City Council should repossess Comberton Grange if payment is not forthcoming from Shaolin Temple Foundation on January 23, according to Cr Andrew Guile

“Money on the site has been owed to council for five years. With interest it now comes to $5.2 million.”

Cr Guile said the deadline of January 23 was looming, a deadline imposed by the Shaolin Temple Foundation itself.

“If payment isn’t forthcoming I’ll put forward a notice of motion to foreclose on the mortgage for the land given the Shaolin Temple Foundation.”

Cr Guile said while the project had the backing of Mayor Joanna Gash and her supporters on council he did not think the motion would pass.

“But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do the right thing for the community,” he said.

“The site is of great commercial interest and comes with all the appropriate DPI approvals.

“Comberton Grange is a valuable asset for the Shoalhaven, and I want it put back on the market.”

Shaolin Temple Foundation representative Patrick Pang said he was disappointed by Cr Guile’s negative attitude.

“This is a very, very important community project,” Mr Pang said.
    See your ad here

“Everybody should get on board and make this happen. The Shaolin Temple is a very important icon in China, and building a complex here will generate a lot of goodwill between Australia and China.

“I think it would be good for the media to get onside with this project.”
    We'll revisit this next week, I imagine.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

paid

$5.2 million down. $380.8 million to go.

Comberton Grange mortgage paid, Shaolin Temple to go ahead
    Ainslie Drewitt-Smith
    Updated about 11 hours ago
    Thu 22 Jan 2015, 10:03pm

Shaolin Temple Photo: An artists impression of what the Shaolin Temple development would look like if it gained full concept approval. The Planning Assessment Commission has recommended the project be scaled back.Paid

A controversial temple development proposed for the South Coast is set to go ahead after nine years of negotiation.

On Friday, the Chinese developers of the Shaolin Temple paid Shoalhaven Council the full $5.2 million mortgage owed on the land at Comberton Grange, south of Nowra.

Shoalhaven Mayor Joanna Gash said the council is pleased with the outcome and is looking forward to moving to the next stage.

"The money from china has been transferred to the Shaolin Temple Foundation. We have today received cheques to the full amount."

"That will now allow the project to finally move forward."

The $386 million proposal includes plans for a Shaolin Temple, a four star hotel, a Kung Fu Academy and educational facilities.

The project is expected to provide a boost to the region's tourism industry and create hundreds of local jobs.

The development has divided the community since plans for the Temple were first mooted in 2006.

The Planning Assessment Commission gave conditional approval to the project following a public meeting in August, 2014.

Mayor Gash said it's unclear when work will commence on the development.

"I think to get the money for us was the first step, we'll now look at where they're going to go."

"I understand Patrick Pang is getting people out of China, he's getting his local contractors together, a local team to bring the plan forward to council. So all of those things are being considered right now."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips