Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Temple OZ

Daniel McConnell

nine-month vow of silence in protest...impressive...very Bodhidharma.

Fresh call for probe into Shaolin sale
    By ROBERT CRAWFORD
    Feb. 17, 2015, 6:17 p.m.

SILENCE BROKEN: Daniel McConnell has called for an inquiry into Shoalhaven City Council’s handling of the Comberton Grange property dealings with the Shaolin Foundation.
    See your ad here

A JERVIS BAY man has called for an inquiry into the handling of the Comberton Grange property at Falls Creek, where the proposed multi-million dollar Shaolin temple is to be built.

Daniel McConnell, who stood in silence for five minutes during the Planning Assessment Commission’s public meeting to discuss the Shaolin tourist and residential complex, has broken his silence.

The former Shoalhaven mayoral candidate has been a staunch opponent of the development for 10 years.

At one stage he observed a nine-month vow of silence in protest. He now says he wants to be the voice for Jervis Bay.

“I hope the state government, be it either Liberal or Labor after the election, initiates some sort of commission to investigate the dealings over the Comberton Grange property,” he said.

“I believe it needs to happen.

“If everyone involved has done everything right there is nothing to hide and there should be no reason such an investigation could not take place.

“But if people have broken the law they should face the consequences.

“My vow of silence at the PAC meeting was to raise the community’s awareness of the Aboriginal peoples’ voice. My silence allowed the Aboriginal voice to be heard loud and clear.”
    See your ad here

He asked why the foundation had been given numerous deadlines by council, which they had time and again failed to meet.

“Many of those decisions to grant extensions were made in confidential sessions and there was no opportunity for the community to object,” he said.

“Residents and ratepayers had no recourse. In the end it is public land.

“I think the impact on the natural environment and the culture of the site has been lost on council, who are just the custodians of the land.

“Why have successive councils been so eager to attract culture and heritage from China when they have the culture of the bushmen people of Jervis Bay right there?”

Mr McConnell asked why a petition tabled in state parliament questioning the impact the proposal could have on the health of the watercourses of Jervis Bay and the financial bona fides of the Shaolin Temple Foundation, wasn’t investigated.

“We only got a response from the Planning Department, which said it was being referred to PAC, which we knew, nothing was ever done about the financial side.

“Perhaps if it had been, the city would not find itself in the trouble it is now.

“I had previously raised this with Member for Bega Andrew Constance before he became Treasurer. I even drove to Bega to meet with him about it, so he was well aware of the issues.

“There should be a public inquiry into the whole issue.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Ok, I can see protecting the environment and people from exploitation and destruction but
    Aboriginal heritage tourism park? Oh yeah. Millions will come for "the aussies must be crazy". They will stop there on their way to Africa's congo heritage theme park....
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Australian Aboriginals have longest surviving culture in the world

Australian Aboriginal People are the oldest and longest surviving culture in the world and have been using the Comberton Grange site for over 15,000 years.

A report commissioned by the developers Shaolin Temple Foundation (Australia) states:

"In 2000 Navin Officer Heritage consultants undertook a cultural heritage assessment of an approximately 219 ha area of land within the current study area. Four Aboriginal artefact scatters , and three isolated finds were identified in the course of the field survey of the study area. An Aboriginal burial ground was also reported as occurring in the study area .

Three landform categories with Aboriginal archaeological potential were identified in the study area, these consist of: the Currambene Creek levee bank deposit; basal slopes adjacent to wetlands or estuaries; and relatively undisturbed sections of ridgeline crest."

Shaolin Temple and Academy, Comberton Grange – Aboriginal Heritage Assessment 16 Navin Officer Heritage Consultants July 2012
    A Report to Conybeare Morrison International Pty Ltd for the Shaolin Temple Foundation (Australia)

This report also discusses a rock shelter, scar trees and stone tools found on the site.

Dreamtime Stories

The site Shaolin Temple Foundation Australia Ltd want to develop is a Aboriginal Woman's site.

Bid Bid Creek ( not Bipbip as the developers call it) is part of the development and is more importantly, part of local dreamtime stories.

"Aboriginal Stories and Story Places

The Aborigines of the Jervis Bay area have knowledge of many myths and stories relating to their tribal area. Three literature references have been found which relate to the mythology of the general Currambene Creek area.

The Bipbip Women

There is only a remnant knowledge amongst the Jervis Bay Koori communities of a story about the 'Bipbip women' (Cane 1987:47-8). These women looked normal except for their pointed toes. The
    women used to come down from the mountains and lure Aboriginal men from their families onto Beecroft Peninsula. Unfortunately the activities of the Bipbip women and their associated sites are largely forgotten, although a Bipbip women's site has been recorded at Orient Point (Cane 1987:47).
    Bid Bid Creek is a major tributary of Callala Creek, and drains part of the immediate hinterland behind
    are no recorded sacred stories which relate to Bid Bid creek, but it is probable that its name preserves some record of the original Bipbip women story. The possibility exists that the creek was part of the original `dreaming path' or track, travelled by the women (Cane 1987:48).

The Wild Women

A story told to Roland Robinson by Percy Mumbulla concerns the 'Wild Women'. These women lived in the bush and beguiled men.
    '...Old Jimmy chased her away into the bush. But the wild woman was too clever. She could turn into mist or a wallaby doe. Old Jimmy chased her and chased her but she got away from him into some caves.
    Old Jimmy was clever too. He could feel when they were near. Those wild women want you for a husband. They take you away into the bush and the mountains for six months. They make you stupid. You can't hear anything. There is always six of them. They come down to Currambene Creek near Huskisson. ...Those wild women are very good to look at. They are a white colour. They have long hair' (Robinson 1958:133).
    It is possible that these 'wild women' and the 'Bipbip women' are one and the same.

Shaolin Temple and Academy, Comberton Grange – Aboriginal Heritage Assessment 14 Navin Officer Heritage Consultants July 2012 "
    A Report to Conybeare Morrison International Pty Ltd for the Shaolin Temple Foundation (Australia)

How is it good to build a big phallic pagoda in the middle of a woman's site?

Where is the respect for Aboriginal culture?

Quote Originally Posted by curenado View Post
    Ok, I can see protecting the environment and people from exploitation and destruction but
    Aboriginal heritage tourism park? Oh yeah. Millions will come for "the aussies must be crazy". They will stop there on their way to Africa's congo heritage theme park....
    Aboriginals have been on this continent for over 50,000 years and it is the longest surviving culture in the world.

Their culture was incredibly sophisticated and in tune with the natural environment. For instance they could tell if it was going to rain when a certain bird flew over head or even a cyclone was on its way because all the birds disappeared. Or time to catch a certain fish because a particular moth has come down from the hills. Or a time to collect certain eggs ( so as not to impact the birds population) when a particular constellation appeared in the sky.

Their art work is spiritual, symbolic and has a narrative that interprets daily life and records historical events. Their stories explain the creation of things and consequences of actions.

Millions of international tourists visit Uluru and Kakadu every year. This is not set up as a 'theme park' like those on the Gold Coast or Disneyland but as a place to have a true cultural experience. This could be achieved in the Shoalhaven too but unfortunately those in government don't have the foresight to realize what they have.

I have great respect for Aboriginal Culture and would welcome a Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Center on the Comberton Grange site. Certainly makes more sense than importing Shaolin culture at the expense of the First Australians.

I was just comparing the projected visitation. I doubt a visitors center is going to have a big environment impact.

Yes a Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Center would at least be in tune with the local environment and show greater respect to the Elders. And possibly the greatest impact would be to educate folks about Aboriginal Culture.

Defending culture

An Article from the South Coast Register Aug. 14, 2014,

Defend our culture, urges Nathan

South Coast Register Aug. 14, 2014,

DISPOSSESSED: Nathan Deaves has called on Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal communities to unite in opposition to the Shaolin Temple development.

LOCAL Aboriginal man Nathan Deaves believes the cultural assessment report on the Shaolin development undermines the historical, traditional and cultural significance of the area.

The 26-year-old spoke against the development at Wednesday’s PAC meeting, representing a number of Aboriginal families who called the Falls Creek area, or

Too-too-ah (pronounced Dudawa), home.

Mr Deaves spoke passionately about the connections local families have with the area, including land at Comberton Grange.

“Many families lived and worked around the area – they used the land to hunt and gather,” he said.

“The area doesn’t just have physical, heritage and cultural significance, it has spiritual significance as well.

“Through my eyes the proposed development embraces another culture at the expense of our own Aboriginal culture.

“We need more jobs in the area, but this is not the way to do it. It is another dispossession of land for Aboriginal people and with that we are spiritually weakened.”

I'm with Seadragon

I would love to visit an Aboriginal Culture Center. Keep in mind that I dabbled in playing digeridoo for a spell, so I was fascinated by Aboriginal Culture and researched into it back then. At the same time, I am a Shaolin disciple, and as a Zennist, I love to see the spread of dharma too.

Meanwhile:
    Cr Amanda Findley wants Shaolin development curbs affirmed
    By ADAM WRIGHT
    Feb. 18, 2015, 1:54 p.m.

Former mayor Greg Watson and representative of the Shaolin Foundation Patrick Pang. Cr Watson joined Team Gash councillors in voting down a motion to affirm development restrictions on the temple site.

SHOALHAVEN councillor and Greens candidate for South Coast Amanda Findley slammed the majority of councillors over their vote against a Shaolin Temple motion on Tuesday.

Cr Andrew Guile tabled a notice of motion: “That Shoalhaven City Council supports the determination of the independent Planning Assessment Commission determination that removed from the Shaolin Temple master plan approval for a housing subdivision and golf course development.”

The motion was defeated.

Cr Findley, who voted in favour of the motion, said under normal circumstances she would be 100 per cent supportive of council making all decisions in respect to development in Shoalhaven.

However she said she was concerned that most councillors voted down this motion.

“Those people concerned with the downstream value of Currambene Creek and Jervis Bay welcomed the [PAC] decision and believe that it is the best outcome that we could possibly hope for under the circumstances,” Cr Findley said.

“Team Gash councillors Wells, Robertson, Kearney and Gash openly declared that they thought the decision was wrong, with other team members following suit via the vote.

“I believe that many Shoalhaven residents would be dismayed by this development-at-any-cost mentality.

“The creation of a new village at Comberton Grange under the guise of a temple development will put further financial demands on council in the future with infrastructure and services,” she said.
    See your ad here

Cr Findley said recommendations to council required it to not build any more new towns or villages, but consolidate existing development through higher density.

“The Shaolin housing development is a complete contradiction to that position.

“In some instances like this Shoalhaven residents have been better served by the PAC than the elected council,” she said.

Shoalhaven Mayor Joanna Gash stuck to her position on the issue. She considered the PAC decision something that should not be raised at council because she said there was no need.

“This is not for us to decide, it’s a red herring to tie us into a position that we have no right to be in,” Cr Gash said.

“This issue has not even come before council. It’s an issue that if it does come before council we will decide then.

“It is a hypothetical and I don’t believe we should be spending the time voting on hypotheticals.

“It was a motion that should never have been put forward,” she said.

South Coast MP Shelley Han**** said she was disappointed personality politics had resulted in councillors turning their backs on a good motion.

"It's obvious they voted against the motion because it was tabled by Andrew Guile, who is not in their camp," Mrs Han**** said.

By voting against the motion council was sending a clear message it was against the decision made in the interests of the community by the Planning Assessment Commission, she said.

"It was good decision, a fair decision and a good compromise.

"It hasn't changed my resolve to oppose housing development on the Shaolin site," she said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

If it is a protected or indigenous site and a 360+ million peoject, seems like a more agreeable site would not be hard to find.

If it is a protected or indigenous site and a 360+ million peoject, seems like a more agreeable site would not be hard to find.
    Hmm, you'd think so but no. The Council owns the land and has sold it to Shaolin Temple Foundation Australia Ltd for a fraction of the value. After 8 years Shaolin Temple Foundation Australia Ltd have not payed the balance (see previous posts about bounced Shaolin cheques, extended payment deadlines and misinformation) and where else would the Shaolin Developers get such a sweetheart deal?

Despite the fact there is not 1 but 5 Endangered Ecological Community's on the site, our local Council does not consider this important. There are other state departments that are trying to minimize any damage that will result from this development but no, it's not a protected site.

There was also a colonial heritage listed farmhouse on the property but it burnt down in mysterious circumstances ( the old convict made bricks from the homestead then turned up at a Council auction!)

It is a indigenous site rich in history and heritage, but not a protected one and once again our local Council does not consider this important.

I wonder how the Chinese (Shaolin's target market and intended residents of the housing development) would feel knowing their resort is built on graves?

Shaolin housing target market

I'm not sure I fully get the housing issue? The rep made it sound like poor housing or some charity but the council woman made it seem like it was part of the golf course and precinct housing for visiting chinese?
    Either way I was thinking if anything, it would be about housing temple workers.
    In any case, in my mind the Shao lin side with the environment. If the golf course and housing erode that, it should be dropped from the grand scheme.
    3 July 2014 - Shaolin complex will be a gated community
    By ROBERT CRAWFORD, South Coast Register:

The long-talked about $360 million Shaolin complex development, south of Nowra, has been described as a “gated community” which will attract predominantly Chinese nationals, whose lives will be determined by the Shaolin Foundation. A report in response to Environmental Assessment Submissions by consultants Conybeare Morrison for the proposed tourist and residential development at Comberton Grange has cast doubts the project will have the major spin-off for the Shoalhaven, as is often touted. In the report the consultants said the residential component would attract predominantly Chinese nationals wishing to live or retire in a precinct with an Asian culture, or Australian Chinese-Australian retirees seeking a retirement opportunity in a “gated” community that provided specific attractions and care.

“Residents are not likely to have work commitments in Nowra or the surrounding area,” the report said.
    “As the development is under one ownership (the Shaolin Foundation), the foundation has the right to determine the overall mix of residential occupancy in the development.” The report said the “predominant marketing aim of the development” was to cater to specific senior and ethnic groups, with accompanying services and lifestyle provision.

The precise nature of the development was an integrated Buddhist tourist and residential development, with residential a minor component. The report assumed that 50 per cent of shop owners within the complex would probably be Chinese and would live within the development, raising questions about how the proposal might benefit the local community if the Shaolin Foundation decided who lives in the complex.

The number of retail staff is estimated to be 100 in stage one and 400 in the ultimate development. The $360 million proposal comprises a Buddhist temple sanctuary complex, kung-fu academy, 500-bed four-star hotel, commercial shopping precinct and community centre and permanent housing residential development for the Falls Creek area. Over the years there have been promises of thousands of jobs for the area as a result of the project.
    In 2012 when the plans went on public exhibition it included suggestions about 1000 people would be employed to build the project’s many facilities and even more jobs were expected to be created once construction was finished, with about 1300 positions catering for a predicted 150,000 visitors a year.
    Shoalhaven Mayor Joanna Gash confirmed the proposal would pay rates to Shoalhaven City Council.

It has now come out that the numbers quoted re employment are way off the mark, in reality it's 50-100. And given the target market is elderly Chinese Nationals you would imagine speaking Mandarin would be a requirement to get a job there, yet none of the Shires schools teach that language!

Quote Originally Posted by Seadragon View Post
    Hmm, you'd think so but no.

I wonder how the Chinese (Shaolin's target market and intended residents of the housing development) would feel knowing their resort is built on graves?
    Not a problem. No big deal.

Well, good luck down there. The only reason the place is left at all is because there's no money to build the Shaolin place or it would be there now.

But it is clear hunan is into much more than restoring old temples and spreading buddhism.
    I'm not against that, it just looks weird.
    Last edited by curenado; 02-19-2015 at 07:31 AM.

Paid!

Paid personally by the abbot himself.

Shaolin pays mortgage, will fight for bigger development
    Ainslie Drewitt-Smith
    Posted about 9 hours ago

Abbot Shi Yongxin Photo: Abbot Shi Yongxin made a special visit from China to hand Shoalhaven Mayor Joanna Gash a cheque for payment of land at Comberton Grange. A Shaolin Temple development is proposed to be built on the land. (Ainslie Drewitt-Smith)

The Abbot in charge of a Shaolin Temple project proposed for the South Coast has paid the final cheque for land at Comberton Grange.

The $4.162 million cheque was presented personally by Chinese Abbot Shi Yongxin to Shoalhaven Mayor Joanna Gash on Monday afternoon.

Through his interpreter Sam Li, the Abbot said he was pleased and relieved the project can progress to the next stage.

"To the Abbot this is a start of a new era and this cheque signifies a new start."

The Abbot admitted that in the nine years the temple's been under negotiation, there have been many times the foundation has wanted to withdraw the development.

"Yes there has been times where the Abbot has thought about withdrawing from the project. But the continued support of the former Mayor, the Mayor, the former council and current council and the people of the Shoalhaven, has kept us going."

Patrick Pang has been working on behalf of the Shaolin Foundation since the development was first mooted in 2006.

He said he's been frustrated by the state's planning laws and the length of time it's taken to get the project approved.

"We play by the rules, but it has to be fair dinkum," Mr Pang said.

"Unfortunately when you look back with this hindsight, many things could have been better. Not so much from our side, we've done all we can."

"I think the state planning department realise that there are a lot of things that ought to be reformed."

Mr Pang said the foundation would continue lobbying the planning department to allow residential units and a golf course to be built on the land south of Nowra.

"Yes we will, definitely, because that is the financial model to everything."

The additions to the project were rejected by the Planning Assessment Commission after a public meeting in August, 2014.

Shoalhaven Mayor Joanna Gash told the Abbot Shoalhaven councillors and staff were humbled by his special visit from China.

"We are humbled and honoured by your presence here today," said to the Abbot.

"We never, never doubted you. We always knew this project would happen."

It's unclear how long it will take for the project to be built or when construction will start. According to the Shaolin Foundation, there are still several more studies to be completed.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So at this point, it is back to 5 million paid, 360 million to go. Now is when people who weren't serious or were going to ditch will and people who want to be serious are going to appear.
    Every real step towards real shakes the tree.
    Hope it doesn't take 10 more years to light a incense and throw a star. Seems like waiting for a sub division and golf course approval to start the project is self defeating - unless the subdivision is the reason for the project.
    Money money that will show, whence it came and where it go....