Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blocks, are they a waste of time?

Blocks, are they a waste of time?

boxing, thai boxing you don't see any blocks & if you have been in any street fights or seen any you rarely have time to block.

maybe gwa or pek eg. smashing/attacking their strikes/arms, or maybe for some kicks if their slow enough.

what do you guys think? what has worked for you in fighting/sparring?

if your hands skills are good enough you can make anything work. its all up to you

I think "blocking" is a misnomer. It refers only to stopping a blow. You can do that with shoulders, forearms, legs...but it tends to keep you on the defensive for a time. Parries joined with counterstrikes are another matter--no blocking but minimizing damage from a blow while allowing for continuity of movement. What some people refer to as blocks are really cutting strikes meant to inflict damage as reaction to your opponent's move.

I think the idea of blocking got passed on from early western exposure to karatedo. The term ukeru was mistranslated as "blocking" when it really means something more like "response."
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Blog Entries
    blocking is a natural defensive human mechanism. instinctual.

just blocking can be detrimental. but, turning your blocks into strikes is beneficial. perfecting something that is instinctual is even more beneficial.

i block. but we cannot always block everything. so there are things you need to be doing while you block. don't just stand there and BLOCK.

below are two of my students. the one using one arm is obviously senior to the one in white t shirt. but the white t-shirt guy keeps raising his hands to block but it doesn't work for him. watch my senior student who uses blocks, evasions, and strikes in a defensive manner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQQn-m0pnmM
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 11-04-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    I think "blocking" is a misnomer. It refers only to stopping a blow. You can do that with shoulders, forearms, legs...but it tends to keep you on the defensive for a time. Parries joined with counterstrikes are another matter--no blocking but minimizing damage from a blow while allowing for continuity of movement. What some people refer to as blocks are really cutting strikes meant to inflict damage as reaction to your opponent's move.

I think the idea of blocking got passed on from early western exposure to karatedo. The term ukeru was mistranslated as "blocking" when it really means something more like "response."
    Very true.

When you use choy li fut's sau chui to block, its one thing.

When you use that same sau chui across the neck its another thing.

Hung ga's chin g chui to block or a chin g chui across the neck?

All comes back to how heavy a gung you put into your training.

Moves dont mean alot if there is not gung in your training.

I blocked alot of jabs and there is a percentage of breaking someone's arms.

You change the nature of kung fu training everything else changes with it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    boxing, thai boxing you don't see any blocks & if you have been in any street fights or seen any you rarely have time to block.

maybe gwa or pek eg. smashing/attacking their strikes/arms, or maybe for some kicks if their slow enough.

what do you guys think? what has worked for you in fighting/sparring?
    Don't think about block but arm wrap. Your arm should act like a snake that wrap around the incoming punching arm like a tree branch. With 2 arm wraps, you get yourself a double overhook. You have just forced your boxing opponent to play your grappling game.

http://imageshack.us/a/img444/5471/octopus.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-04-2012 at 01:23 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by once ronin View Post
    You change the nature of kung fu training everything else changes with it.
    This is good. It's my new motto.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

good stuff guys.

I agree about training the gungs, you must have strong arms for these blocks/strikes. But fighting someone that is good/fast you are going to have a hard time blocking/intercepting his strikes. I guess it takes a lot of practice under presssure/hard sparring.

cool vid Frank, good to see kf trained under some pressure.

I think it's harder to apply clf with one arm compared to other arts like hung gar. You can see you're student at times wanting to naturally use his other arm as the clf style uses that momentum & long power from the waist.

from the little hung i learnt(& friend was a advanced student) there is more one arm continuos strikes. The basic 10 punches & 10 blocks i learnt 9 of the punches were done with the same arm & the blocks all with same arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post

patting/cutting/seam feeding/covering

these are all blocks and deflections and they are all used in boxing, thai boxing whatever.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    You can look at "blocking" from the following angle, "How can I hurt my opponent's arms and legs so he can't punch or kick me any more?"

Many years ago, a TKD black belt came to Austin and challanged me infront of a YMCA Karate class. He was very good in his kicking (not much punching). For every kicks that he delievered at me, I always blocked it along with my elbow dropping on his insteap (if front kick) or ankle (if side kick). When he no longer be able to kick me, I jumped in with a simple punch to his face and ended that challenge fight.

I had even tried this on my MT sparring partner. When he used roundhouse kick at me, I managed to let my sharp elbow to meet his "insteap". It also worked very well in my experience.

Your body can act like a knife and chop down any incoming tree branches, that's "metal against wood" principle.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-08-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Blocks are definitely not a waste of time. And we see them in every all-round fighting styles. My view in training and in real fight is that go for the top level of fighting - attack without block. If it is not feasible, then go for the second or the third level. The reason is that if we usually fight at the third level - block first and then attack, it will become a habit that is difficult to break.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

The problem is with practicing blocks in solo training.
    You can anticipate your own attack,but you cant anticipate how you will be attacked by someone else.
    First smooth,then fast.
    Smooth is fast.

Blog Entries
    The problem is with practicing blocks in solo training.
    You can anticipate your own attack,but you cant anticipate how you will be attacked by someone else.
    you should be training to be ready for anything. solo or not. it all falls on how you train.

my face is my shield

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    my face is my shield
    you must have strong shield then, kc said you are very handsome. So that means your defense/blocking using your face is doing a great job.

Ahhhhsum!