Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blocks, are they a waste of time?

In my experience simple parries work best for defending against punches. I prefer to just deflect the punches with open palms instead of covering up. (This is easy with MMA gloves, not so much with boxing gloves.)

As to actual "hard" blocking, a block is a strike, a strike is a block. Knee checks for low kicks and elbows to block higher...may as well bust that hand or foot up and make them pay for throwing it.

Blog Entries
    "hard" blocking, a block is a strike, a strike is a block
    choy lee fut breathes this
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blocks are essential in fighting unless you're absolutely confident your footwork can get you out of compromising circumstances. But complete reliance on footwork is a separate subject in itself where there is limited area to move and strike-block becomes necessary.

Training footwork is monotonous and can be boring. But you're able to train it, rely on it, and apply it, the blocks are optional as Lon as you can seize the inner gates of your opponent.

Training blocks are easier, because it is part of the forms it should be in conjunction with your techniques and combinations. And the footwork becomes optional only to seize the angular directions for more combinations.

Yes they are a waste; unless you have 52 of them (surreptitious reference to 52 Blocks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTQbi...=results_video). lol Just kidding.
    Last edited by Faruq; 12-21-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Blog Entries
    Yes they are a waste; unless you have 52 of them. lol Just kidding.
    what good is someones attack if it gets blocked?

Get's you into trapping range? So its only still good when it gets blocked if the person planned on his attack getting blocked.

Blog Entries
    Get's you into trapping range? So its only still good when it gets blocked if the person planned on his attack getting blocked.
    now you're thinking!

8. If you can touch the arm in all likelihood you can touch the face/body,why waste time in fighting the peripherals?
    The "Old" Yang style of Taiji
    Hakka Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakua4581 View Post
    If you can touch the arm in all likelihood you can touch the face/body,why waste time in fighting the peripherals?
    When your girl lets you to hold her hand, it doesn't mean that she will let you to touch her body.

Not everybody will use "crazy monkey" and keep both hands next to his face. When your opponent's arms are "extended", your hand has to pass his wrist, elbow, and shoulder before you can reach to his body.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-15-2012 at 04:54 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Practising defense and offense is fundamental.
    Application of fundamentals allows understanding.
    Understanding fundamental application defines style.
    Style begets skill.
    Skill takes us back to fundamentals.
    Fundamental defines structure of action.
    Action is needed for harmony.
    Harmony is motion.
    Motion is the way.
    Way is Tao.
    Tao is in the answer and question.
    The answer is indefinite.

nospam
    佛家

Quote Originally Posted by Red machine View Post
    Blocks are essential in fighting unless you're absolutely confident your footwork can get you out of compromising circumstances.

Yep. If one's footwork is good, there is less need for blocking. And it will also makes block is easier to do. It makes block and attack easier to do overall.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

My own theory is there are 6 major ways to neutralize an attack. The first few are the best and what I try to employ when I spar. The others are for when I'm "caught" or my position is compromised. They aren't the preferred method but must be trained, because fighting often doesn't go as planned.

1. Intercepting. Strike when your opponent strikes. i.e. He throws a hook, you throw a straight, he throws a straight you throw a side kick...negate his attack with a more direct attack that has a reach advantage. I believe this is the best method of stopping an attack.

2. Evasion. Side stepping, head movement, no contact to arm or leg, (unless that is your attack), as Mr. Miyagi said, "Best block is not to be there."

3. Soft blocks. Palm deflections, knockdowns, easy to use and require very little commitment.

4. Hard blocking. A bit slower and more committed than soft blocking. You may damage your opponent with them, but run the risk of injuries yourself.

5. Covering up, like a boxer or Thai fighter often utilizes.

6. Iron body. Simply having enough conditioning and sparring experience to withstand body blows. The least preferable method, when all else has failed.

That's my approach to "blocking." I think too often people jump straight to covering up and don't work enough at the other methods, (which I feel are better.)

Covering up and withstanding strikes needs to be trained, because if you fight you will need these skills, as you will find yourself in undesirable positions. But I feel the game plan should be to not end up in this position.

I'd rather start with intercepting and evasion than jumping straight to covering and trading blows.