Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Double End Bag

Wing Chun Double End Bag

does any one use the double end bag with their wing chun training?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjH9h6y3o1Q
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Yes, but not like that.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

We use a tennis ball on 3mm elastic cord, much harder workout, greater mobility and reflexes required, more eye/hand timing. A Double end bag is easy by comparison, you can close your eyes and still hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    We use a tennis ball on 3mm elastic cord, much harder workout, greater mobility and reflexes required, more eye/hand timing. A Double end bag is easy by comparison, you can close your eyes and still hit it.
    I would love to see a video of that...sounds interesting!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    does any one use the double end bag with their wing chun training?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjH9h6y3o1Q
    I wouldn't call those punches. Looks like a useless exercise.

He should first learn how to punch and then do the tennis ball training Kevin mentioned. A couple clips I just found:

Clip 1
    Clip 2

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post

He should first learn how to punch and then do the tennis ball training Kevin mentioned. A couple clips I just found:

Clip 1
    Clip 2
    +1

So he knows how to play patty cake with the speed bag. Clearly he has no idea how to punch.

I'm no double end bag expert, in fact, more of a no0b if anything, but he should try "throwing his punches to completion" because imo, it looks like as if his punches are being "choked/limited" by the bag, which seems strange because the only reasons I could think for punching like that would be if he didn't have room to extend more or if he were dealing with and ever greater force being dealt against him while he punches.

Also, again reiterating that I dont know much about the double end bag, but logically speaking (though my logic may be flawed, corrections are appreciated), if you look at where his fist starts in the video, it's in a place where it strikes the bag while it's rest. After that first punch, he never really makes contact like that again but rather it looks like the bag is punching his fists while he adds some pressure to keep it going. Imo, it kinda takes away from the challenge. It also probably would've been best if continued attacking after the elbow since it was the only strike that sent the bag into a type of more unpredictable movement, which would appear to be one of the perks of training with a double end bag.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Clip 1
    Clip 2
    Ferdi and looks like GH...good examples. The boxing coaches who see me using it all say it is excellent for reflexes, eye/hand , etc...
    The tennis ball can be either a head moving or a fist coming at you, so you can work parries accompanying a strike or parrying a rebound at your face/head, it makes you react or you get tennis ball in the face.... With adjustable tension you can allow for more movement and lateral shifting, etc...add shadow VT moving/striking and go for 5 x 3min rounds = workout

I dont let students just chain punch the ball endlessly, I get them to mix parries and coordination rather than create an eggbeater.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 11-06-2012 at 10:56 AM.

http://youtu.be/L_o4TgJrIi8 .....a new clip with some tennis ball...

Hello,

For stick work I used to use three tennis balls connected to a rope.
    Made for some interesting possibilities when struck with a stick.
    I imagine a single or even more tennis balls would make for a very good training aide.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Hello,

For stick work I used to use three tennis balls connected to a rope.
    Made for some interesting possibilities when struck with a stick.
    I imagine a single or even more tennis balls would make for a very good training aide.
    A golf ball on a string or tennis ball hanging...good target for LDBG [ 9 ft pole ]

I have used a softball, like in slow pitch baseball. I drill a hole down through it, run a piece of rope through, and attack very strong bunji cords up and down. It is hard, moves fast, and offers speed and accuracy skill practice as well as conditioning the hands. I used it for heel kicks as well.
    The guy in the video was using it like a rythum bag. I realize his punches were not proper, but for what it is worth, you should never fully extend the arm in a punch. You lose your ability to cancel or retract quickly, and remember, a fully extended arm is the weakest arm.
    Another way of doing this would be to put 2 or even 3 softballs on the same setup. This way you can move, angle, whatever, and develop accuracy as well as punching power.
    Jackie Lee

Good discussion guys!

Clip 1
    Clip 2
    We did this at Duncan Leung's 3 Great Jones St. kwoon back in the 70's.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

just a little practical question

Which type of string do you think is the best for holding a tennis ball. I think im going to use one of those in my gym